Pages (2):    1 2
t4terrific   12-13-2005, 05:01 AM
Noelie Wrote:I think Tom Cruise is a good actor....I just don't like him. :p

He has had some really good films. I can watch A Few Good Men once a week, and still be entertained. That said, I think he's a silly S. O. B. (I'm trying to be nice with that).
Kenji   12-13-2005, 09:45 AM
I saw War Of The Worlds in theater. Pretty good. But some scenes(dialogue) gave me strange feeling. Tom Cruise and his son, Robbie.....they not looked like father and son. Dakota Fanning was awesome. Her performance skill was perfect. Too perfect. But sometimes her scream was annoyed to me.

SFX was great. Tripods effect was excellent. Some scenes were creepy!

Tim Robbins and Tom Cruise, their struggle at the basement were thrilling. That's one of my favorite scenes.

Some people hate Tom Cruise, but I don't care much about it. Because I like movies, not "him". Rain Man, A few good men, Magnolia, Minority Report......those movies have good story. Even if he didn't appearances in them, I would see them.
Maggers   12-13-2005, 04:26 PM
Noelie Wrote:I think Tom Cruise is a good actor....I just don't like him. :p

I think he's an actor of just moderate ability who can be good if he is well directed. With Cruise, IMO, it's all about his director.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Noelie   12-13-2005, 07:02 PM
Maggers Wrote:I think he's an actor of just moderate ability who can be good if he is well directed. With Cruise, IMO, it's all about his director.
I never thought about it that way, but I tend to agree.

How many vikings does it take to change a light bulb?

None. The light from the burning monastery is more than sufficient.

May the Norse be with you.

EWMAN, Jr.
hford713   12-13-2005, 09:20 PM
Noelie Wrote:I never thought about it that way, but I tend to agree.
I disagree.
Name a film he performed poorly in (not including his beginnings ie. '80s material)....
Collateral. Magnolia. WotW. Born on the Fourth of July. Eyes Wide Shut. Vanilla Sky. Last Samurai....
Many may not be fond of him personally, but I've not heard of any other actor with his passion for the craft coupled with his incredible acting.
Noelie   12-13-2005, 10:18 PM
Quote:Name a film he performed poorly in (not including his beginnings ie. '80s material)
Mission: Impossible. Interview with the Vampire. The Firm. Meh, meh, and meh. My opinion, of course.

How many vikings does it take to change a light bulb?

None. The light from the burning monastery is more than sufficient.

May the Norse be with you.

EWMAN, Jr.
t4terrific   12-13-2005, 10:26 PM
hford713 Wrote:I disagree.
Name a film he performed poorly in (not including his beginnings ie. '80s material)....
Collateral. Magnolia. WotW. Born on the Fourth of July. Eyes Wide Shut. Vanilla Sky. Last Samurai....
Many may not be fond of him personally, but I've not heard of any other actor with his passion for the craft coupled with his incredible acting.

He's never actually performed brilliantly. He has had some great films. He is always Tom Cruise though. He always has that annoying laugh, which comes out of nowhere (why is he laughing?) every couple of minutes. That drives me crazy.

I would say he is good as an actor, but he isn't a versatile actor. As long as he can be himself, he's great. Don't ask him to stretch and become anything different though. He is very good at picking roles that suit him. I wish more actors were as good at that.

Not having any bad "performances" doesn't make an actor brilliant. Most decent actors don't have bad "performances". Usually it's just a matter of choosing the right roles and the right people to work with. When you reach the status of a Tom Cruise, you are able to choose the perfect circumstances to make a good film. He wasn't always able to pick and choose from the best roles in Hollywood. That was when he really had some crappy roles, and some less than stellar "performances".
t4terrific   12-13-2005, 10:28 PM
Maggers Wrote:I think he's an actor of just moderate ability who can be good if he is well directed. With Cruise, IMO, it's all about his director.

... and the role. He has really chosen well lately. That gives him the opportunity to shine. That's how life is. The most successful people aren't always the "best". Often they just get really good at putting themselves in good positions. Then they can shine.
hford713   12-17-2005, 04:47 PM
Noelie Wrote:Mission: Impossible. Interview with the Vampire. The Firm. Meh, meh, and meh. My opinion, of course.
Yes, I agree, he was bad/awful in Interview - although, perhaps the performance can be blamed solely on his accent...
Pages (2):    1 2