Pages (2):    1 2
Bluesman Mike Lindner   12-18-2005, 10:19 PM
fpw Wrote:I don’t like boxing, but I liked this film. Overlong, but its depiction of life in the Great Depression is haunting. I FF’d through the last fight because I’d seen enough boxing for the night.

FF= 0.5

The fight scenes just weren't that good. The scenes in RAGING BULL, ALI, and the first ROCKY left them on the canvas. Difference is, the leads in the flicks I mentioned trained hard to make the foights realistic.
t4terrific   12-18-2005, 10:33 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:The fight scenes just weren't that good. The scenes in RAGING BULL, ALI, and the first ROCKY left them on the canvas. Difference is, the leads in the flicks I mentioned trained hard to make the foights realistic.

The fight scenes in Rocky were the most unrealistic in film history (not counting Rocky II, III, IV, and V). Theatrically, they were good, but realistically horrible. Raging Bull's fight scenes were rather far-fetched too. They were better than most, at the time, but very far from reality.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   12-19-2005, 12:31 PM
t4terrific Wrote:The fight scenes in Rocky were the most unrealistic in film history (not counting Rocky II, III, IV, and V). Theatrically, they were good, but realistically horrible. Raging Bull's fight scenes were rather far-fetched too. They were better than most, at the time, but very far from reality.

Didn't express myself well there, t4. I meant cinematically effective. But I'm hard-pressed to recall a flick with realistic foight scenes. Can you think of any? (BTW, I can't imagine a fight flick more exciting than the Hagler-Hearns match. Did you see it? I would =love= to get it DVD. =What= a fight! As Tommy Hearns said later, "I had him going. I would have knocked him out. But I broke my right hand on his thick head in the first round." Both men can look back on that match with nothing but pride. They gave =everything.=
Annice Burdeos   01-04-2006, 10:41 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:I liked it too. Russell Crowe may be a self-important scumbag in real life, but the hombre knows how to act. Great scene--where Jimmy goes to the rich mens' club to ask--beg--for money to get the heat turned back on so his children don't freeze.

Crowe once again gives a truely indelible performance as Jim Braddock

The scene which you describe breaks your heart

Crowe truely is one of the finest actors around today and if I were voting for the Oscars, he'd have my vote (I'd probably split it 3 ways between him, Phoenix and Ledger)
The Mad American   01-05-2006, 01:47 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Didn't express myself well there, t4. I meant cinematically effective. But I'm hard-pressed to recall a flick with realistic foight scenes. Can you think of any? (BTW, I can't imagine a fight flick more exciting than the Hagler-Hearns match. Did you see it? I would =love= to get it DVD. =What= a fight! As Tommy Hearns said later, "I had him going. I would have knocked him out. But I broke my right hand on his thick head in the first round." Both men can look back on that match with nothing but pride. They gave =everything.=

Have you seen "The Boxer" with Daniel Day Lewis? Its an Irish film. Boxing is more of a backdrop to an ex IRA guy getting out of prison and wanting out of the IRA life. Boxing scenes in it where about as real as it gets for movies. Point of view stuff with Lewis was very good.

Not to mention this is one of my favorite movies. Well worth the rent if you haven't seen it.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

neotank   02-04-2006, 05:24 PM
Just watched it.

Wow what a great movie. How is this not up for best picture? Russell Crowe's finast performance. And whatsherface was good as his wife Smile

Also another good scene decides the one posted above was when he took his son back to the butcher to return the stolen food, even though they were completely starving.

Now that is a good man and a great father.
Pages (2):    1 2