Pages (27):    1 19 20 21 22 23 27   
Maggers   01-21-2006, 12:55 PM
maggers Wrote:P.S. It's a lot easier to read posts in which you are responding to someone when you use the quote brackets that automatically highlight the quotes to which you are replying. Otherwise it's very confusing to follow the flow of your thoughts.

newyorkjoe Wrote:I'll keep you in mind and try to type slower.

It's not the speed of the typing, it's the knowledge of how the board works.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

NewYorkjoe   01-23-2006, 02:16 PM
Maggers Wrote:Now I know how people feel when then run into a New Yorker who thinks there is no other place on the planet. I'm a native New Yorker, and unlike yourself and most of my family, I've chosen to live here my entire life. Heaven help me, I hope I don't sound so arrogant when I speak about NY, but I probably do.
Yes, NYC is unique. It's big, it's bold, it's beautiful, it's an in-your-face city like no other. But that doesn't make it better than any other city, town or hamlet, just different.

Thanks for the eye-opener, NYCJoe. Gave me some insight into how I must sound from time to time.

P.S. It's a lot easier to read posts in which you are responding to someone when you use the quote brackets that automatically highlight the quotes to which you are replying. Otherwise it's very confusing to follow the flow of your thoughts.

Are you SURE you're from New York? You sound awfully sensitive!

If you substitute "erudite and articulate" for "arrogant," then I hope you do sound the same.

"Different" is a word with myriad connotations. For example, my kin in Arkansas use the word "different" in a different way. When asked, "How did you like the new Chinese restaurant down at the mall." They might say, "Well, it was different." This is a Southern (polite) way of saying, "It was weird and strange and I did not like it!"

New York City is so much more than "different." It is unique in a way that only a handful of American cities and a dozen in the world are. It is not arrogant to express fact and the uniqueness of New York City does not detract from the indvidual aspects of other cities, nor does it denigrate other cities by comparison, unless you allow it do do so. Another fact, more songs have been written about New York City than any other city in the world! If it is arrogant to state that fact, well then . . . EXCUUUUUUSE ME!

Will Rogers once said, "It ain't braggin', if you can really do it." I say, "It isn't arrogance if that's the fact, JACK!"

NewYorkjoe
NewYorkjoe   01-23-2006, 02:30 PM
AsMoral Wrote:I was going to quote your previous post, but it would have been a jumbled mess. Let's just agree to disagree. You managed to twist almost every point I made into some bizzaro-world version of it's intent.

In my post I was defending Arkansas by saying they had museums, an arts district, libraries, etc. I was not defending gay people. I don't give a flying fuck about the gay community and I am sorry if I gave you the impression that I did. And I don't have a chip on my shoulder about anything. So nanny-nanny-boo-boo.

Apparently you feel you are smarter than I and who am I to deny you that pleasure? Thank you for the stimulating reply.

Thank you for your valuable lessons on Geography and epic tour of NY's district. And for the record, I have no chip on my shoulder when it comes to arkansas. I am not an Arkansan, never will be.

You obviously have your opinions formed so I wish you well with them.

One thing I can say for certain is that you aren't boring.

They resort to profanity! However, the gay community may be crestfallen, flying f*cks may well be en vogue right now, if you fly United!

Whadda you sayin' "I'm not boring?" Whadda you mean, I amuse you, I'm a clown for you. Whadda I do that's not so boring? Not boring how?

Funny, Joe Pesci does it so much better! But, then, he's a funny guy. Funny (ha, ha), though. Remember "Slingblade?" Uhhh- HUNNN!

Some nondescript city joe (AKA NewYorkjoe)
Tony H   01-23-2006, 03:54 PM
NewYorkjoe Wrote:They resort to profanity! However, the gay community may be crestfallen, flying f*cks may well be en vogue right now, if you fly United!

Whadda you sayin' "I'm not boring?" Whadda you mean, I amuse you, I'm a clown for you. Whadda I do that's not so boring? Not boring how?

Funny, Joe Pesci does it so much better! But, then, he's a funny guy. Funny (ha, ha), though. Remember "Slingblade?" Uhhh- HUNNN!

Some nondescript city joe (AKA NewYorkjoe)

In this single post Joe you managed to make me laugh. Maybe you are an okay guy after all. Maybe.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
Maggers   01-23-2006, 04:12 PM
NewYorkjoe Wrote:Are you SURE you're from New York? You sound awfully sensitive!

NewYorkjoe

I'm older than you, so I've been a New Yorker for longer, and I'm STILL a New Yorker by choice, something you are not.

Yes, I am sensitive and a New Yorker; those facts are not mutually exclusive.

P.S. Glad you figured out how the board works. Big Grin

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Paige   01-23-2006, 11:48 PM
I don't know where you live Joe, but the NYC that I visited had some of the nicest and friendliest people I've ever met.

I'll never forget the kind guy who played tour guide for 3 very clueless girls hopelessly lost in the Financial District.

"Life — and I don't suppose I'm the first to make this comparison — is a disease: sexually transmitted, and invariably fatal."
Death Talks About Life Neil Gaiman
NewYorkjoe   01-24-2006, 10:09 AM
AsMoral Wrote:In this single post Joe you managed to make me laugh. Maybe you are an okay guy after all. Maybe.

Do the words: "Damning with faint praise," strike a familiar note?

I shall treasure the lukewarm feeling generated by your mild and hesitant approbation to my grave. ;-)

Podunk Joe
NewYorkjoe   01-24-2006, 10:15 AM
Paige Wrote:I don't know where you live Joe, but the NYC that I visited had some of the nicest and friendliest people I've ever met.

I'll never forget the kind guy who played tour guide for 3 very clueless girls hopelessly lost in the Financial District.

I have heard similar tales of the kindness, helpfulness, and welcoming attitude of New Yorkers toward tourists. Speaking from personal experience, I have also served as a native guide (and bodyguard) for out-of-towner young ladies whenever the opportunity presented itself. Of course, my motives were not ENTIRELY altruistic.

Perhaps the apocryphal tales of rude and hostile New Yorkers were actually generated by malevolent miscreants from Joisey posing as New Yorkers? One may hope so.

Regards,
NewYorkjoe
NewYorkjoe   01-24-2006, 10:39 AM
Maggers Wrote:I'm older than you, so I've been a New Yorker for longer, and I'm STILL a New Yorker by choice, something you are not.

Yes, I am sensitive and a New Yorker; those facts are not mutually exclusive.

P.S. Glad you figured out how the board works. Big Grin

Once a New Yorker, always a New Yorker (it's kinda like the Mafia or the IRA, once in, never out). My choice would have been to remain in Manhattan. Sadly, opportunity and career requirements precluded that. In order ta be sumbuddy, ta be a contendah, I had to leave the nest. Had I stayed, I could have had a storied career as a doorman, the job I held for several summers while attending college. (Like a job circumcizing elephants at the Central Park Zoo, it didn't pay much, but the tips were enormous!)

Maybe when I become a senior poster like you or as old as you, I'll have my nurse type my posts for me while I drool in mindless senescence! I'm sure she will know how the board works. (BTW: the post you found so hard to follow was divided, paragraph by paragraph, with my contributions indicated by "NYJ replies:." Was I expecting too much from a reader to follow that? AsMoral seemed to have no trouble.)

Greater age does not necessarily equate to greater wisdom, just as 20 years of experience at the same job is merely one years' experience repeated 20 times. I have garnered wider experience in "flyover America," than I might have found remaining in my old East-side neighborhood.

NewYorkjoe
Maggers   01-24-2006, 02:01 PM
NewYorkjoe Wrote:Maybe when I become a senior poster like you or as old as you, I'll have my nurse type my posts for me while I drool in mindless senescence! I'm sure she will know how the board works.
We're of the same generation. You'll reach old age when I do. Let the drooling begin.

Quote:...20 years of experience at the same job is merely one years' experience repeated 20 times...
That may be so for you, but has never been so for me.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Pages (27):    1 19 20 21 22 23 27