Pages (2): 1 2   
Dave   12-09-2005, 08:33 AM
I doubt the topic title would hold the full name. Wink

I went to this last night, and I was looking forward to it. I read the book as a kid, I think I read all of them, and I had fond memories of the series but do recall that this one wasn't my favourite (I think I liked Dawntreader best).

From what I remember of the book the film is a pretty good adaptation. The effects are great and the performance of the little girl is astounding. Dakota Fanning watch out.

I really enjoyed the first half, it captured my imagination and brought back alot of ideas of being a child and discovering something fantastic. But the film started to fall flat in the second half.

Spoilers (Highlight to read)
The prophecy is fine, I can handle that, but as soon as they started talking about them being Kings and Queens it just didn't make sense. Why?

Peter being made a knight after the wolf impaled himself on Peter's sword. Why?

And a teenager taking control of the battle after Aslan's indisposal. Why?

Lose the royalty stuff (they are unique, no need to make them leaders straight away), have Peter defeat the wolf rather than accidentally impale him, and even demonstrate that Peter's knowledge of WW2 back home could give the good guys an advantage at the end, and it would have all rung a little bit truer.

End Spoilers

Kids will love it. The niggles I have above will not bother anyone under thirteen years of age, and all the characters are easily accessible, with the creatures of Narnia being a true wonder.

As I said, I did enjoy it, but felt a little disappointed.

Dave
Medusa   12-09-2005, 10:39 AM
So you liked it, good! We're going to see it tomorrow night!
stacyzinda123   12-09-2005, 01:29 PM
I haven't read the books, but I asked for them for Christmas and plan to read them. We'll probably wait for the movie on DVD, but I'm definitely excited to check the book and movie out.
Kenji   12-09-2005, 04:32 PM
Oh,well.........in Japan, we can see it in next March. I can't wait! :eek:
Medusa   12-11-2005, 02:09 PM
Wow! It was great! The effects were incredible! Makes me want to go out now and buy the books!
fpw   12-11-2005, 11:01 PM
Just saw it. Mightily impressed. As a recovering Catholic I was moved by the allegory (you're never really cured) and my 6.5 and 3.5 year-old grandchildren were mesmerized. If this were a DVD my thumb would never have touched the FF button. (Never read the books, btw.)

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Maggers   12-12-2005, 02:40 AM
I just came back from "Narnia." It's full of wonder and very moving, with selflessness, forgiveness and redemption as themes made palatable for all ages. I felt the same way FPW did. Cried my eyes out at one point. The battle scenes were fantastic.

I thought the narrative was just a wee bit clunky. It felt like there was a hole or two which I attributed to the need to squeeze the book into the movie. As fantasmagorical books-into-movies go, "Narnia" made me appreciate the smoother flow of the Potter movies.

But don't miss Narnia. It's a gem.
This post was last modified: 12-12-2005, 10:58 PM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

t4terrific   12-12-2005, 03:47 AM
Maggers Wrote:I just came back from "Narnia." It's full of wonder and very moving, with selflessness as a theme made palatable for all ages. I felt the same way FPW did. Cried my eyes out at one point. The battle scenes were fantastic.

I thought the narrative was just a wee bit clunky. It felt like there was a hole or two which I attributed to the need to squeeze the book into the movie. As fantasmagorical books-into-movies go, "Narnia" made me appreciate the smoother flow of the Potter movies.

But don't miss Narnia. It's a gem.

You had a busy day Maggers!!!

I plan to see this one this week.
Jake Badlands   12-12-2005, 09:59 AM
Thought it was a great adaptation too. The beginning and the discovery definitely brought back old memories.

Two or three changes from the book including that new fox character and the confrontations between the kids and wolves. Mostly better changes ni my opinion.

************commenting on Dave's spoilers below******************

The prophecy is fine, I can handle that, but as soon as they started talking about them being Kings and Queens it just didn't make sense. Why?

Specifically why they were "made" into royalty is explained a bit more much later in the series. But as for two Kings and two Queens; I've always wondered the same myself.

Peter being made a knight after the wolf impaled himself on Peter's sword. Why?

In the past and generally after a heroic deed - One who has slain a beast, and in this case the captain of the guards Fenris Ulf aka Gromagrim, who is supposed to be the biggest most cunning and strongest wolf, one becomes knighted; although technically Aslan isn't a king, he's supposed to be the king of kings so to speak.
Also in my view Aslan sensed Peter's lack of confidence and faith, so he did this to inspire him.

And a teenager taking control of the battle after Aslan's indisposal. Why?

Because of the prophecy. Aslan asked of it. No other logic reason I know of. The message of faith is very strong in the book, but it is shown a bit less in the film.
The Mad American   12-12-2005, 12:16 PM
Saw this over the weekend and I reread the book before hand. I have to say it was a very faithful adaptation of the book. There are a few differences as pointed out but they are minor at best. It stuck very much to the book.

Enjoyed this movie a lot. Even if you don't want to pay any attention to the Christian aspect of it I believe it would still be a very enjoyable movie.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

Pages (2): 1 2