Pages (2):    1 2
Pleiades   11-24-2005, 04:16 PM
Subadi Wrote:Here's another question I had. Unfortunately, I dont remember the name of the book, but one of the characters was an author who wanted to write horror, but instead felt compelled to write sci-fi by his publisher/editor. Was this a short story and not a book ? Regardless, it seemed to me to be an autobiographical comment, no ? I especially thought so after reading some of the "poor man's 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep'" known as "Dydeetown World." I havent really given any of FPW sci-fi a chance. Maybe if people give me their comments on what they think of it.
Again, welcome to the board - don't be a stranger.

There seems to be this attempt to classify FPW's work as horror or SF, or whatever. One of the things I like about his writing is that it doesn't fit precisely into any one category. There are elements of SF, horror, mystery, detective-type characters, intrigue, suspense in every story. My library used to have FWP's books spread into all these categories. Now they have them all together in the Fiction section. Don't classify them; just read and enjoy!

You really only need three things: WD-40, Duct Tape, and a pointy stick. If it's supposed to move and doesn't, use the WD-40. If it moves and isn't supposed to, use the Duct Tape. If you want it to move and it doesn't want to, use the pointy stick. The rest of life is easy.
Subadi   11-25-2005, 09:51 PM
Based on your recommendations, I just tried the Tery/Pard. It had been sitting in my library unread because of the silly picture on the cover. But, I have to say that the book was thoroughly enjoyable. Very good read. I felt a connection to the characters, and was pleased to see that Dalt/Tlad made an appearance in Pard. There is a note in the back of the book that he is in Healer too. Is he a main character in the LaNague chronicles ?

So this world that the Tery takes place in. Is there any connection to the world of RJ ?

I have to disagree that his books can't be categorized. I like categorizing things, but dont believe that it lessens them. I have read the medical thrillers of FPW and feel that they far surpass Robin Cook, but they seem to fit neatly into the same genre. I read the Black Wind, and it seems that it falls into the category of Historical Science Fiction which has been so well done by Harry Harrison. Black Wind was very good, at least as good as Harrison's best in this category. Horror, - maybe the Keep was horror, but I really dont find any of the others as horror novels. The Tery was sci-fi, nothing else. Sims - see Michael Crighton (though FPWs efforts surpass MC's). Repairman Jack though, how can you categorize him ? He can't be. The closest character I can think of in fiction would have to be John Maxim's Bannerman ? Finally, I never read the fifth harmonic because I got the impression that it was another version of the celestine prophesy. Was I wrong ?
This post was last modified: 11-25-2005, 09:53 PM by Subadi.
Lisa   11-25-2005, 11:06 PM
Subadi, I've never read Celestine Prophecy so I can't comment on that. But I can tell you that The Fifth Harmonic is one of FPW's best IMO... his other bests being Black Wind, An Enemy of the State, The Keep, and Deep as the Marrow. I don't really think T5H is classifiable genre-wise. It's sort of new-agey, but probably not in the sense you are thinking. I had no idea what to expect when I began reading (I had vague notions of something medical thriller/horror), and I was blown away by it.

In other words, do yourself a favor and read it! Big Grin

Welcome to the board, BTW. My favorite FPW is his scifi.

Lisa
This post was last modified: 11-25-2005, 11:08 PM by Lisa.
Marc   11-26-2005, 10:35 AM
Subadi Wrote:Finally, I never read the fifth harmonic because I got the impression that it was another version of the celestine prophesy. Was I wrong?

You're not alone. I had the same impression of The Fifth Harmonic. The only difference is that Paul's book was written much better. (And this isn't meant to suck up. The guy who wrote Celestine Prophecy did a really bad job with the writing. Story good, writing bad.)
jaybird   11-26-2005, 11:59 AM
I have to agree Poppie was one weird, tough chick. DATM was a good read. I started off reading RJ. Ireally got into it. Once I had read all of the RJ books I started reading all of the "surrounding" books. Some really didnt excite me at first, but once I was a few chapters into them I couldnt put them down. Right now I am reading The Fifth Harmonic. I am about half way thru it and I am hooked.{no spoilers please} So, to confirm my fellow forum members, nothing I have ever read that FPW has written has been a dissappointment. READ ON NEWBIE!!!!!!!! Welcome to the board. Big Grin
Pages (2):    1 2