Pages (2):    1 2
Jay #1   11-22-2005, 11:27 AM
I have no probs with it. I think I'd asked you about fanfiction at one point. I had had a plot roaming thru my head, but when you said no I just let it go. *grin* Don't get me wrong, it was nice to entertain the notion of doing that. But I'm not about to step on toes.

fpw Wrote:It's a legal thing.

I can't read the thread and can't even have it on my site. I may have ideas in the hopper that match some of the things posted. If I used one I could be accused of stealing / plagiarism.

The same applies to RJ fan fiction.

I'm sure some of you could have had a lot of fun with it. You're welcome to take it elsewhere, but I simply can't allow it here.

I'm truly sorry, but other writers have wound up in hot water from claims with more tenuous connections.
Jay #1   11-22-2005, 11:33 AM
I didn't see the thread either. But what sparked the decision by FPW to ask his lawyers about Fanfiction was when I asked if he had a problem with it being written. *grin*

depends on the author. Eric Flint has a section on baen.org called Baen bar? I believe. All are invited to write fanfiction in it based on his 1632 series. He's even taken a few that he considered exceptional and put them in Grantville Gazette, and Ring of Fire short story collection. Also, on at least one of the main books (can't remember which) he cowrote with one of them on a few areas in it.

Anne Mcaffrey has no problems with fanfiction as long as they are on her site or sites she authorizes. And she has the specific rules on her website Worlds Of Anne Mccaffrey that tell exactly what guidelines she'll allow them under.

I've also heard that at a select few conventions a contest is held for fanfiction that can only be introduced there, and stay there. Unless the series author decides to include it. However it's published in a newsletter that's handed out at the convention or something like that.

Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:I didn't see the thread, so maybe this ain't relevant at all, but how does fan fiction work as far as the law goes? How about filksongs? A few years ago, I had a conversation with Joe Haldeman in which he confided that RAH =roared= with laughter at a convention in which Spider Robinson sang "Old Man Heinlein." Quoting some of the Grandmaster's works!
fpw   11-22-2005, 03:40 PM
Another aspect I haven't mentioned is that allowing other people to use your characters can jeopardize your copyright. There are ways to get around that but they're convoluted and I simply don't have the time to watchdog it.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Pages (2):    1 2