Bluesman Mike Lindner   05-30-2004, 09:28 PM
Back on 4/18, Paul posted referring to a string of references in CRISSCROSS. Maybe it's this-- (SPOILER ALERT!) halfway through the book, Coop gives a long rap to Jack and Jamie. Embedded in this rap are titles of Byrds' songs: SHE DON'T CARE ABOUT TIME, EIGHT MILES HIGH, MR. SPACEMAN, and NATURAL HARMONY. And if we really want to live the life of comedy, let's count WHY. (Hey, it's a legit Byrds' song title!) And while we're on the subject of Paul's craftiness, let's look at the names of two women-of-mystery: Herta and Anya Mundy. (SPOILER ALERT!) "Herta" is an anagram of "Earth." And the Latin word "Mundus" can be translated as "World." Are these ladies manifestations of the Earth itself? That would answer a few questions... Or is this entertaining wordplay just a red herring? Och, that Paulie...he's a canny lad...
fpw   05-30-2004, 11:02 PM
Jesus, Mike, you're good -- the only one who could have spotted those. But you missed the big one: JOHN ROBERTSON (I even had his obit picture in a Stetson hat.) You also missed "I’ll Feel a Whole Lot Better," "5D," and "Get to You."

But kudos for spotting the trend.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   05-31-2004, 11:09 AM
fpw Wrote:Jesus, Mike, you're good -- the only one who could have spotted those. But you missed the big one: JOHN ROBERTSON (I even had his obit picture in a Stetson hat.) You also missed "I’ll Feel a Whole Lot Better," "5D," and "Get to You."

But kudos for spotting the trend.

Good? Naw...humbled that I figured, once I saw the deal, the =only= place I'd find Byrds' song titles was in Blascoe's rap. (GET TO YOU...one of my favorites. Maybe McGuinn's prettiest melody. But then there's THE BALLAD OF EASY RIDER...man, I can't choose between them.) But tell me true, Paul--was WHY on your list? (I was saving that in case we needed a tiebreaker against the Otherness gang.)
This post was last modified: 05-31-2004, 11:32 AM by Bluesman Mike Lindner.