Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5   
Lisa   06-02-2004, 05:43 PM
Richard Kendrick Wrote:Yes, I have noticed that too. Prey and Timeline were both like that. I enjoyed them though. I expect to see Prey as movie. Did you think he left that one hanging out there for a sequel? (I know you read it)

There was definite sequel potential in PREY. It reminded me a lot of Jurassic Park.

Lisa
Maggers   06-26-2005, 12:25 PM
I'm about a year late in getting to this thread. The last post (Lisa's) is from June, 2004. Love the way old threads can just go on and on....

fpw Wrote:If you look at the structure of Prey, it's a classic horror novel, and has some chilling, creepy scenes.
Agreed, I liked PREY a lot, flew through it and having been wishing for a sequel.

lisa Wrote:I actually liked both PREY and TIMELINE. I probably liked TIMELINE a bit better but they were both good.
As much as I liked PREY, I liked TIMELINE even more. I've read it twice. TIMELINE is a perfect example of the book being much, MUCH better than the movie, which I realize is the opposite of the point of this thread.
This post was last modified: 06-26-2005, 11:27 PM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Biggles   06-26-2005, 09:41 PM
thisisatest Wrote:Steve D
Just wanted to start a new thread on this topic as the old thread has been pulled out to sea.

Just finished reading Wiseguys and must admit, the movie Goodfellas was better than the book. As much as I liked all the details and characters in the book, the movie captured the feel and appeal of the book and took it one step further, thanks to Joe Pesci, et al. However, I still recommend Goodfellas fans to read Wiseguys between your F. Paul Wilson reads.

All of the LOTR trilogy (books were great, but dragged in spots).

The Godfather (again, book was great, but movie was better).

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
KRW   06-26-2005, 09:59 PM
I've always liked the screen version of "Lonsome Dove" better than the book. The first hundred pages dragged so bad. But it was worth it for Gus!

KRW
Bluesman Mike Lindner   06-26-2005, 10:17 PM
How about DO ANDROIDS DREAM OF ELECTRIC SHEEP and the director's cut of BLADE RUNNER?
Medusa   06-26-2005, 11:03 PM
I'll have to agree with Lisa on the Andromeda Strain. But I'll go even further (also sorry to Michael Crighton) while Congo wasn't a great movie it was still much better than the book. Also Starship Troopers was a cool movie but an incredibly BORING book.
jimbow8   06-26-2005, 11:04 PM
Medusa Wrote:Also Starship Troopers was a cool movie but an incredibly BORING book.
Hahaha!! Yes, I agree.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
JF1ID   06-26-2005, 11:25 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:How about DO ANDROIDS DREAM OF ELECTRIC SHEEP and the director's cut of BLADE RUNNER?

Ya beat me to that one, Mike... It's the first one that popped into my mind right off the bat. Blade Runner is probably my all time favorite film, there are so many layers to the story Ridley Scott created using the framework of the novel... although I gotta admit, I love the voice-over narration of the original theatrical release , it gives it that whole film noir kinda thing.

"Fear is the foundation of most governments; but it is so sordid & brutal a passion, & renders men in whose breasts it predominates, so stupid & miserable, that Americans will not be likely to approve of any political institution which is founded on it" -John Adams
jimbow8   06-26-2005, 11:29 PM
JF1ID Wrote:Ya beat me to that one, Mike... It's the first one that popped into my mind right off the bat. Blade Runner is probably my all time favorite film, there are so many layers to the story Ridley Scott created using the framework of the novel... although I gotta admit, I love the voice-over narration of the original theatrical release , it gives it that whole film noir kinda thing.
I also agree with that. I prefer the original version. I don't care about all the stories that Ford did the voice-over poorly on purpose, etc. I'm holding out on buying the DVD until they release the original version.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Blake   06-27-2005, 12:53 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:I also agree with that. I prefer the original version. I don't care about all the stories that Ford did the voice-over poorly on purpose, etc. I'm holding out on buying the DVD until they release the original version.

You might be waiting a while. Smile My understanding is that Ridley Scott is still working on the "definitive" director's cut for future DVD release (the one that made it to theaters wasn't really "done", but was put out to keep a schedule), but as far as I know the narration will still be missing. I don't really miss it, but I don't mind it either. "I knew the lingo any good cop did." He's like Sam Spade in the future. A nice compromise would be to put that version on a separate soundtrack.

I agree on the book. The movie was better, for my money.

Blasphemy on Lord of the Rings. Smile I love the movies, but the books are still better to me.

Blake

Please support Friends of Washoe.
Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5