Pages (2): 1 2   
Kenji   11-03-2005, 05:37 AM
Today I went to theater see "The Brothers Grimm". Directed by Terry Gilliam. It was very fun movie. I enjoyed it. Ah....is this a commonplace comment? But this is IMHO. True. I really enjoyed it. I am Terry Gilliam fan. I saw all his movies, except "Jabberwocky". Ah......I want to see Jabberwocky.

So....about this "The Brothers Grimm", main roles are Grimm brothers, but this is not their biography movie. In this movie, they are swindlers! They use cheap trick, and they cheat village people out of their money. That's Terry Gilliam's Grimm brothers! He's BIG liar. Big Grin But it's a harmless lies. I enjoyed funny lies. This is fantasy, but if you intend to go to see the movie with children, you should stop it. This is scary to little child. It's not like Harry Potter series.

By the way, what is your favorite Terry Gilliam movie? I like "The Fisher King", of course.

My favorite Terry Gilliam's movies/top 5.

#1. The Fisher King(I like park's scene. Was that Central Park? I'm not sure...)
#2. 12 Monkeys(Time travel and virus research....terrific idea!)
#3. Monty Python and the Holy Grail(I like Monty Python and flying circus)
#4. Brazil(In that ending, I was stunned.)
#5. The Adventures of Baron Munchausen(SFX was outstanding! And...Eric Idle! He was hilarious.)

The Brothers Grimm is #6.
This post was last modified: 11-03-2005, 05:42 AM by Kenji.
t4terrific   11-03-2005, 06:01 AM
Kenji Wrote:Today I went to theater see "The Brothers Grimm". Directed by Terry Gilliam. It was very fun movie. I enjoyed it. Ah....is this a commonplace comment? But this is IMHO. True. I really enjoyed it. I am Terry Gilliam fan. I saw all his movies, except "Jabberwocky". Ah......I want to see Jabberwocky.

So....about this "The Brothers Grimm", main roles are Grimm brothers, but this is not their biography movie. In this movie, they are swindlers! They use cheap trick, and they cheat village people out of their money. That's Terry Gilliam's Grimm brothers! He's BIG liar. Big Grin But it's a harmless lies. I enjoyed funny lies. This is fantasy, but if you intend to go to see the movie with children, you should stop it. This is scary to little child. It's not like Harry Potter series.

By the way, what is your favorite Terry Gilliam movie? I like "The Fisher King", of course.

My favorite Terry Gilliam's movies/top 5.

#1. The Fisher King(I like park's scene. Was that Central Park? I'm not sure...)
#2. 12 Monkeys(Time travel and virus research....terrific idea!)
#3. Monty Python and the Holy Grail(I like Monty Python and flying circus)
#4. Brazil(In that ending, I was stunned.)
#5. The Adventures of Baron Munchausen(SFX was outstanding! And...Eric Idle! He was hilarious.)

The Brothers Grimm is #6.

Well, I've only seen a few Gilliam films. Of course "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" is a phenominally funny film. Perhaps the funniest ever. I'd have to say my favorite (of Gilliam's) is "Brazil". I also have to give praise for "12 Monkeys" and "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas". Both are very wierd films and not for everyone but I liked them. I also liked "Time Bandits". I don't know if he directed "The Meaning of Life" but I didn't like it (didn't even finish watching it).

I haven't seen anything else of his. I'll probably give "The Brothers Grimm" a look when it comes out on dvd though. It looks good, though it was highly criticized.
Kenji   11-03-2005, 07:47 AM
t4terrific Wrote:Well, I've only seen a few Gilliam films. Of course "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" is a phenominally funny film. Perhaps the funniest ever. I'd have to say my favorite (of Gilliam's) is "Brazil".

What do you think about last scene in "Brazil"? That was not happy end though...

Quote:I also have to give praise for "12 Monkeys" and "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas". Both are very wierd films and not for everyone but I liked them. I also liked "Time Bandits".

Well, I dislike "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" only. As I said, I am Terry Gilliam fan, but that movie was.......boring and I got confused.

Quote:I don't know if he directed "The Meaning of Life" but I didn't like it (didn't even finish watching it).

"The Meaning of Life" was directed by Terry Jones and Terry Gilliam. I like it. It was better than "Life of Brian".

Quote:I haven't seen anything else of his. I'll probably give "The Brothers Grimm" a look when it comes out on dvd though. It looks good, though it was highly criticized.

You should see it. I recommend it.
Dave   11-03-2005, 09:18 AM
Kenji Wrote:"The Meaning of Life" was directed by Terry Jones and Terry Gilliam. I like it. It was better than "Life of Brian".
Blasphemy! Your opinion, not Life of Brian.

Directed by Terry Jones, but my fave Python film (and the most cohesive). And feel free to haggle.

As for Gilliam, I've a big fan of 12 Monkeys. Yet to see Brazil (never sure which version I should watch). Time Bandits was great. And I liked Lost in La Mancha Smile

Dave
This post was last modified: 11-03-2005, 09:20 AM by Dave.
Kenji   11-03-2005, 10:16 AM
Dave Wrote:Blasphemy! Your opinion, not Life of Brian.

Directed by Terry Jones, but my fave Python film (and the most cohesive). And feel free to haggle.

Oh, I'm sorry for blasphemy. But I hadn't particular intention to it.....

Quote:As for Gilliam, I've a big fan of 12 Monkeys. Yet to see Brazil (never sure which version I should watch). Time Bandits was great. And I liked Lost in La Mancha Smile

Dave

!!!!!SPOILER about Brazil!!!!!

I've heard Brazil had two version. In Japan, last scene was not happy end.

At the last scene, Sam Lowry(J. Pryce) was captured by Kurtzmann(I. Holm). The moment of his tortures, Archibald Tuttle(R.DeNiro) rescued him. They ran away. Then, Jill Layton(K. Greist) and Sam ran to horizon. If this movie finished in this scene, it was happy end. But.......Suddenly, Jack Lint (M.Palin) looked into Sam's face. Sam was already dead. His escape was only in his mind......

So it was very dark and hopeless end, and shocking. But I liked it.
Scott Miller   11-03-2005, 10:37 AM

No haggling from this corner as I completely agree. I find The Holy Grail way overrated.

Dave Wrote:As for Gilliam, I've a big fan of 12 Monkeys. Yet to see Brazil (never sure which version I should watch). Time Bandits was great. And I liked Lost in La Mancha Smile Dave

I also enjoyed LILM, although technically not a Gilliam movie. For anyone who wants to see how movies are made, LILM is a great documentary. And I would cast my vote for 12 Monkeys as Gilliam's best.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Maggers   11-03-2005, 04:13 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:...I would cast my vote for 12 Monkeys as Gilliam's best.

Ditto. 12 Monkeys for me, too.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

t4terrific   11-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Kenji Wrote:What do you think about last scene in "Brazil"? That was not happy end though...

I thought the ending was fitting. It wasn't a happy one, but the movie was so far out of reality, that good and bad really don't apply.
t4terrific   11-03-2005, 04:30 PM

As for Gilliam, I've a big fan of 12 Monkeys. Yet to see Brazil (never sure which version I should watch). Time Bandits was great. And I liked Lost in La Mancha Smile

Dave

I liked Life of Brian better than Meaning of Life. Neither was in the same league as Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
t4terrific   11-03-2005, 04:31 PM
Kenji Wrote:Oh, I'm sorry for blasphemy. But I hadn't particular intention to it.....

!!!!!SPOILER about Brazil!!!!!

I've heard Brazil had two version. In Japan, last scene was not happy end.

At the last scene, Sam Lowry(J. Pryce) was captured by Kurtzmann(I. Holm). The moment of his tortures, Archibald Tuttle(R.DeNiro) rescued him. They ran away. Then, Jill Layton(K. Greist) and Sam ran to horizon. If this movie finished in this scene, it was happy end. But.......Suddenly, Jack Lint (M.Palin) looked into Sam's face. Sam was already dead. His escape was only in his mind......

So it was very dark and hopeless end, and shocking. But I liked it.

That's the ending I have also. I thought the end was good. I like happy endings, but this film's "far out" nature made it exempt to my own conventional preferences.
Pages (2): 1 2