Pages (4):    1 2 3 4   
Tempest   11-07-2005, 08:52 PM
Hmmm....I don't know Terrific. I think its a cultural thing. Having graduated from a ghetto high school, I'm much more comfortable giving "dap" (which includes the fist bump) than I am shaking hands, at least with people my own age. I then went to a college that was pretty much all white, and where everyone shook hands. It was one of the most awkward experiences of my life. I think, however, that we'll find out in one of the upcoming books why Jack doesn't do high fives. I think it will be more than just a pet peeve of his. Just a guess Smile

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
KRW   11-07-2005, 08:59 PM
t4terrific Wrote:High five is kind of a goofy thing, I think. I hate it, myself, when people hold up their hand for a high five. I feel like they are just assuming that I'm going to jump at a chance to be part of something. I don't like to play along with the little game. Another thing that bugs me, a little, is the fist bump. I just don't get it. What's worse is people who expect you to play along just because. Because why? I don't know. Exactly. Yeah.

Shaking hands with someone is a good way to greet or show appreciation to someone that you repsect, like, or appreciate. I don't shake hands with people I don't like. I don't mind leaving them hanging. If I respect or appreciate someone, I'll gladly shake hands. It's a little more traditional, and a lot less goofy than a high five.

Shaking hands, if I remember correctly, was origanaly a way of showing someone you were unarmed. Basicaly showing you meant no harm but a truce, even goodwill.

What's with the fist bump? First time it happened, I asked my friend what club I had just joined. Wink In all circumstances, a good solid handshake will do just fine. Unless you make a touchdown, then you get your butt slapped. Hey, I didn't make the rules.....................
XiaoYu   11-07-2005, 09:30 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:I don't have THE HAUNTED AIR with me, Xiao, but doesn't Jack give Charlie a high-5 at one point?
Hmmm...that sounds kinda familiar; I don't remember exactly either. I was referring to the instance in Crisscross where Jamie wanted to give Jack a high five, and Jack just gave her a "finger-five." I thought that was hilarious, but I was just curious why he didn't like them.

[SIZE="1"]To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting." -- Sun Zi
===========================
[COLOR="Green"]Django: This is the way things are; you can't change nature.
Remy: Change IS nature, Dad. The part that we can influence. And it starts when we decide.
Django: Where are you going?
Remy: With luck, forward.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"]"The thing I treasure most in life / Cannot be taken away..."[/SIZE]
Ossicle   11-08-2005, 07:06 PM
XiaoYu Wrote:Hmmm...that sounds kinda familiar; I don't remember exactly either. I was referring to the instance in Crisscross where Jamie wanted to give Jack a high five, and Jack just gave her a "finger-five." I thought that was hilarious, but I was just curious why he didn't like them.

IMO there is a whiff of conformity about high-fives that is not present in hand shakes. For an individualist like Jack, I suspect they don't feel right, just as he wouldn't join a fraternity.

-Oss
XiaoYu   11-08-2005, 10:28 PM
Really? I actually think handshakes are much more formal, stiff and conformist than high fives. I don't do high fives with just anyone, but I can shake any stranger's hand.

I don't know, high fives just always struck me as a cute thing to do that went along with the sillier aspects of Jack's character, especially since he also pumps his fist a lot, and to me, that's a similar kind of gesture.

[SIZE="1"]To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting." -- Sun Zi
===========================
[COLOR="Green"]Django: This is the way things are; you can't change nature.
Remy: Change IS nature, Dad. The part that we can influence. And it starts when we decide.
Django: Where are you going?
Remy: With luck, forward.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"]"The thing I treasure most in life / Cannot be taken away..."[/SIZE]
t4terrific   11-09-2005, 12:01 AM
Ossicle Wrote:IMO there is a whiff of conformity about high-fives that is not present in hand shakes. For an individualist like Jack, I suspect they don't feel right, just as he wouldn't join a fraternity.

-Oss

That's a good explanation.
t4terrific   11-09-2005, 12:05 AM
XiaoYu Wrote:Really? I actually think handshakes are much more formal, stiff and conformist than high fives. I don't do high fives with just anyone, but I can shake any stranger's hand.

I don't know, high fives just always struck me as a cute thing to do that went along with the sillier aspects of Jack's character, especially since he also pumps his fist a lot, and to me, that's a similar kind of gesture.

Pumping your fist is an individualistic form of expression. It is not comparable to someone else holding their hand up, and you slapping it because they want you to.
Ossicle   11-09-2005, 01:03 PM
t4terrific Wrote:Pumping your fist is an individualistic form of expression. It is not comparable to someone else holding their hand up, and you slapping it because they want you to.

Exactly. (IMO)
Bluesman Mike Lindner   11-13-2005, 09:12 PM
Ossicle Wrote:Exactly. (IMO)

Well, lemme ponder this, Ossicle. I dunna know, but I'm equally comfortable shaking hands, giving a high-5, or bumping fists. Depends on the situation. Shaking hands-- meeting someone for the first time, making a bet, or acknowledging, "Yes, you are =damn= right." High-5--for a situation with shared laughter or a situation of mutual triumph. Bumping fists--"Oh, we are bad men. We are truly bad men!" That last seems to come most when my buddies and me are playing the bar computer-game COUNTDOWN and someone on the team calls out the right answer to a tricky question. But for me, it's a question of context. And certainly there's a lot of overlap. All mean good, though--"I'm with you, friend!"
This post was last modified: 11-13-2005, 09:32 PM by Bluesman Mike Lindner.
KRW   11-13-2005, 10:32 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Well, lemme ponder this, Ossicle. I dunna know, but I'm equally comfortable shaking hands, giving a high-5, or bumping fists. Depends on the situation. Shaking hands-- meeting someone for the first time, making a bet, or acknowledging, "Yes, you are =damn= right." High-5--for a situation with shared laughter or a situation of mutual triumph. Bumping fists--"Oh, we are bad men. We are truly bad men!" That last seems to come most when my buddies and me are playing the bar computer-game COUNTDOWN and someone on the team calls out the right answer to a tricky question. But for me, it's a question of context. And certainly there's a lot of overlap. All mean good, though--"I'm with you, friend!"

Yeah, that works. But what if you are a loner like Jack? Shaking hands works, but you don't get emotionally involved with anyone. Therefore, a high five is akward, right?

KRW
Pages (4):    1 2 3 4