Pages (12):    1 2 3 4 5 12   
Ossicle   10-21-2005, 06:03 PM
Snake Wrote:In addition to the pedophile card being played far too frequently (more so in film/TV than lit), have you noticed a major influx of gay/lesbian characters in fiction over the past three or four years?
I have, but it happens that I'm so gay-friendly (due to family history, temperament and residence in NYC) that it doesn't bother me much. Except to the (too great) extent to which those characters are cliched, predictable, or -- worst of all -- beatified. They're PEOPLE, people -- made of nutritious meat, like you and me! ~>:<

Snake Wrote:You know, there are a lot of heroin addicts in the world too, but I don't want to start seeing one in every book I read....OOPS, too late. Just read Brian Keene's The Rising, which had a heroin addict as a main character. Damn! I thought I was on to something there...
Heroin users are among the most pathetic people I've ever met and should not be included in fiction. Almost as bad as heroine users! (You know I mean you, Clark Kent!)

-oss
Paul R   10-21-2005, 06:50 PM
Forgive me if I'm speaking out of turn Mr Ossicle (see how respectful I was there? Big Grin ) but can't you just sit down and read a book without overly analyzing it?
I mean, FPW is a hell of a writer - none of us would be posting here if he wasn't - and yet every time I see a thread that you've started, you seem to be saying how he could have or should have done something different, or - in your eyes - better.
Just sit back and enjoy!
Snake   10-21-2005, 07:33 PM
Ossicle Wrote:I'm so gay-friendly

Oh Boy...talk about a PC term. That's P'est C'est term I've heard all year.
t4terrific   10-21-2005, 07:50 PM
Paul R Wrote:Forgive me if I'm speaking out of turn Mr Ossicle (see how respectful I was there? Big Grin ) but can't you just sit down and read a book without overly analyzing it?
I mean, FPW is a hell of a writer - none of us would be posting here if he wasn't - and yet every time I see a thread that you've started, you seem to be saying how he could have or should have done something different, or - in your eyes - better.
Just sit back and enjoy!

Yeah! Every Ossicle post is a negative one about the work we all enjoy. It just get old. It just gets old.
KRW   10-21-2005, 07:59 PM
t4terrific Wrote:Yeah! Every Ossicle post is a negative one about the work we all enjoy. It just get old. It just gets old.

Old or not, if it's discussion about FPW's books, I'm in! Ossicle just likes it to make sense. He has every right to oppose Wilsons ideas as I have to defend them. Wink

KRW
KRW   10-21-2005, 08:28 PM
Ossicle Wrote:Actually, I love the novel too, and your enthusiasm is very persuasive. Tons of great stuff, I'm wrong to regret that he didn't beat the crap out of anyone.

I think you just had different expectations on the book than I did. For me, out of all the books, I related to this one the most. PLUS it had a TORNADO............what?

Ossicle Wrote:Hm, maybe. But he would've needed to come up with some other way of doing so if it weren't for the very convenient perversion and the lack of curtains.

All I can say is Jack suspected something was going on when Brady left. He already planned on setting him up for murder. Since we iddn't get to read all the thoughts running through his head, we have no clue what his back-up plan was. Like I said, Life handed him an ace.

Ossicle Wrote:I doubt very much that it's straightforward to rewire a modern elevator (i.e., it may be computerized) from inside the shaft so that when the button out in the hall is pressed, (i) the car is not summoned and (ii) the door opens anyway. But I admit I don't know.

-oss [/QUOTE] Just like you, I've never worked on an elevator. So I can't tell you what makes it tick.
Paul R   10-22-2005, 05:27 AM
KRW Wrote:He has every right to oppose Wilsons ideas as I have to defend them. Wink

KRW
Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying nothing negative should ever be said (blimey - if ever there was a negative sentence, that was it!) it's just that Mr Ossicle (still respectful) seems to be so very negative.
But discussion is good and by all means people should fight their corner. It's just that Mr Ossicle seems to be in a different corner than everybody else.
Ossicle   10-22-2005, 01:38 PM
Paul R Wrote:Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying nothing negative should ever be said (blimey - if ever there was a negative sentence, that was it!) it's just that Mr Ossicle (still respectful) seems to be so very negative.
But discussion is good and by all means people should fight their corner. It's just that Mr Ossicle seems to be in a different corner than everybody else.

Please avoid reading my posts if they perturb you. However, I want to point out that factually you're incorrect. If you were to read every post I've made about FPW (which would be silly, but could be done) you would find much, much, much admiration and praise. It's simply true -- you can literally look it up.

Second, there are posters who have agreed with certain "negative" thoughts I've expressed (I'll use the word "negative" instead of characterizing those sorts of thoughts more accurately-but-tortuously), or at least found them interesting/worthy of discussion. Should I or they care that you feel differently?

So: (i) I do not only (or even mostly) say negative things, and (ii) I'm not alone in a corner.

Doesn't it seem pretty clear that, by being the one with the problem, you are the problem?

(I'll note in closing that your touted "respectfulness" fits poorly with your inaccurate judgements and your attempts to control what I post.)

-oss
Maggers   10-22-2005, 08:30 PM
Ossicle,
I can't speak for Paul R, who's been around for a while so I have a sense of him, but I doubt he was trying to control what you post. At least, that's not what I got from what he'd written.

Besides which, no one on this board would want to control what you say. FPW wouldn't stand for it, unless personal attacks were involved.

So, post away, Ossicle. Say whatever you'd like (personal attacks not withstanding), and people will either respond or they won't. As you said, if people don't agree with your opinion, they can either (1) say so, or (2) just not read your posts.

M

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Paul R   10-23-2005, 04:35 PM
Ossicle Wrote:Please avoid reading my posts if they perturb you. However, I want to point out that factually you're incorrect. If you were to read every post I've made about FPW (which would be silly, but could be done) you would find much, much, much admiration and praise. It's simply true -- you can literally look it up.

Second, there are posters who have agreed with certain "negative" thoughts I've expressed (I'll use the word "negative" instead of characterizing those sorts of thoughts more accurately-but-tortuously), or at least found them interesting/worthy of discussion. Should I or they care that you feel differently?

So: (i) I do not only (or even mostly) say negative things, and (ii) I'm not alone in a corner.

Doesn't it seem pretty clear that, by being the one with the problem, you are the problem?

(I'll note in closing that your touted "respectfulness" fits poorly with your inaccurate judgements and your attempts to control what I post.)

-oss
Take it easy!
Of course I'm not trying to control what you post, Mr Ossicle (still respectful, if that's alright with you) and nor do I have a problem with what you post.
You seem to be an intelligent person, so I'm surprised you've decided to dissect what I've written and come to such conclusions. All I was saying was that you should just sit back and enjoy a book instead of pulling it to pieces. (And the same might be said for reading a post and pulling that to pieces too!)
Pages (12):    1 2 3 4 5 12