Pages (2): 1 2   
Sam   10-18-2005, 12:09 AM
Synopsis: Let's see...Bob Hoskins is a British mobster type who raised Jet Li to be more of a "dog" than human and uses him as his enforcer, then as a source of income as a pit fighter (is that the correct word?). When the leash is on, he's doclile. But when it comes off...Holy Shit!! In a really cool scene, Li finds himself without a master and winds up with caring people in the form of Morgan Freeman and his step daughter. They help Li to become more human and find a new life. But Li finds himself forced back in to his old world that he has learned to hate. You can guess what he has to do in order to escape this life.

Jet Li's acting was really good - an emotionless 10 year old trapped in a man's body. He's able to express his feelings without words. Something a lot of actors think they can do. Bob Hoskins was great! A real silver tongued bastard at times and complete scumbag the rest. Morgan Freeman...always great but his lines were really lacking. The fighting was well choreographed and chaotic at the same time. A strange effect. I believe the fight choreographer was the same guy for The Matrix and Kill Bill. There were times it was kind of stupid - Li kicks or punches a guy sending him spinning across the room then later repeatedly hits someone fast and hard without knocking them out. :confused: The story itself isn't all that great. They did take more time with Li's development as a person rather than a black screen with "1 year later..." or something like that, so that was nice. The ending is pretty much the norm with this style of movie. Not a bad movie but not great. At least we get to see that Li can act. Worth renting but not buying, IMHO.

"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K
t4terrific   10-18-2005, 12:22 AM
Sam Wrote:Synopsis: Let's see...Bob Hoskins is a British mobster type who raised Jet Li to be more of a "dog" than human and uses him as his enforcer, then as a source of income as a pit fighter (is that the correct word?). When the leash is on, he's doclile. But when it comes off...Holy Shit!! In a really cool scene, Li finds himself without a master and winds up with caring people in the form of Morgan Freeman and his step daughter. They help Li to become more human and find a new life. But Li finds himself forced back in to his old world that he has learned to hate. You can guess what he has to do in order to escape this life.

Jet Li's acting was really good - an emotionless 10 year old trapped in a man's body. He's able to express his feelings without words. Something a lot of actors think they can do. Bob Hoskins was great! A real silver tongued bastard at times and complete scumbag the rest. Morgan Freeman...always great but his lines were really lacking. The fighting was well choreographed and chaotic at the same time. A strange effect. I believe the fight choreographer was the same guy for The Matrix and Kill Bill. There were times it was kind of stupid - Li kicks or punches a guy sending him spinning across the room then later repeatedly hits someone fast and hard without knocking them out. :confused: The story itself isn't all that great. They did take more time with Li's development as a person rather than a black screen with "1 year later..." or something like that, so that was nice. The ending is pretty much the norm with this style of movie. Not a bad movie but not great. At least we get to see that Li can act. Worth renting but not buying, IMHO.

Great review. Thanks.
Kenji   10-18-2005, 10:08 AM
Sam Wrote:Synopsis: Let's see...Bob Hoskins is a British mobster type who raised Jet Li to be more of a "dog" than human and uses him as his enforcer, then as a source of income as a pit fighter (is that the correct word?). When the leash is on, he's doclile. But when it comes off...Holy Shit!! In a really cool scene, Li finds himself without a master and winds up with caring people in the form of Morgan Freeman and his step daughter. They help Li to become more human and find a new life. But Li finds himself forced back in to his old world that he has learned to hate. You can guess what he has to do in order to escape this life.

I saw it in theater. Japanese title was "Danny the Dog".

I like this movie. This is one of Jet Li's best movies. Best one was....."Hero".
t4terrific   10-18-2005, 03:22 PM
Kenji Wrote:I saw it in theater. Japanese title was "Danny the Dog".

I like this movie. This is one of Jet Li's best movies. Best one was....."Hero".

My favorite is Fist of Legend. I think it's better than Bruce Lee's.
Anders Monsen   10-18-2005, 03:57 PM
t4terrific Wrote:My favorite is Fist of Legend. I think it's better than Bruce Lee's.

I tend to favor Once Upon a Time in China II, but only for the fight scene with Donnie Yen and the secret society sub-plot (which means little unless you've read 19th century Chinese history). But this opinion is my own. De gustibus non est disputandum.
Kenji   10-18-2005, 05:25 PM
Anders Monsen Wrote:De gustibus non est disputandum.

...........What did you say? :confused:
Anders Monsen   10-18-2005, 05:28 PM
Kenji Wrote:...........What did you say? :confused:

Latin for “There’s no disputing about taste.” Another version of this saying is “There’s no accounting for taste.” In other words, we can all have different favorite Jet Li movies, for example. Nothing wrong with that. Big Grin
Kenji   10-18-2005, 05:33 PM
Anders Monsen Wrote:Latin for “There’s no disputing about taste.” Another version of this saying is “There’s no accounting for taste.” In other words, we can all have different favorite Jet Li movies, for example. Nothing wrong with that. Big Grin

Thanks!

I don't know Latin. I barely learned English. I have no space in my brain for Latin! :p Big Grin
Anders Monsen   10-19-2005, 12:14 AM
Kenji Wrote:Thanks!

I don't know Latin. I barely learned English. I have no space in my brain for Latin! :p Big Grin

English is my second language also, though I started learning it at age five. Can't say I know much Latin beyond a few phrases. I tried to teach myself Japanese eight years ago, then the need for it faded. I had managaed to learn all the hiragana and katakana characters, and now I only remember one.
Kenji   10-19-2005, 10:44 AM
Anders Monsen Wrote:I had managaed to learn all the hiragana and katakana characters, and now I only remember one.

And......? What is the "one"?
Pages (2): 1 2