Pages (3): 1 2 3   
fpw   10-15-2005, 10:45 AM
At last on DVD. I’ve been looking for this 1967 Lee Marvin film for years. Directed by John Boorman and based on Donald Westlake’s THE HUNTER, it’s dated but still works to some degree. I like Mel Gibsons “Payback” (based on the same novel) better. If you haven’t seen “Point Blank,” rent it along with “Payback” and watch them back to back. It’s a great tutorial in how movie making – directing, lighting, tinting, cutting, scoring, cinematography, etc. – changed over three decades.

FF= 1.0

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Kenji   10-15-2005, 10:53 AM
fpw Wrote:At last on DVD. I’ve been looking for this 1967 Lee Marvin film for years. Directed by John Boorman and based on Donald Westlake’s THE HUNTER, it’s dated but still works to some degree. I like Mel Gibsons “Payback” (based on the same novel) better. If you haven’t seen “Point Blank,” rent it along with “Payback” and watch them back to back. It’s a great tutorial in how movie making – directing, lighting, tinting, cutting, scoring, cinematography, etc. – changed over three decades.

FF= 1.0

I like Payback,too. But I've never seen Point Blank. If I have a opportunity, I'll rent it.

FF=1.0? That's nice! Wink
t4terrific   10-15-2005, 04:05 PM
fpw Wrote:At last on DVD. I’ve been looking for this 1967 Lee Marvin film for years. Directed by John Boorman and based on Donald Westlake’s THE HUNTER, it’s dated but still works to some degree. I like Mel Gibsons “Payback” (based on the same novel) better. If you haven’t seen “Point Blank,” rent it along with “Payback” and watch them back to back. It’s a great tutorial in how movie making – directing, lighting, tinting, cutting, scoring, cinematography, etc. – changed over three decades.

FF= 1.0

I never heard of Point Blank. I'll have to look for it. I loved Payback. I have the dvd. I think it was a very underrated Gibson film. The bleached out colors and Gibson's croakie voice really added to the films "strangeness".
Mick C.   10-15-2005, 08:42 PM
Good to hear it is out on DVD, I've been looking for a copy of that for years. Lee Marvin made a good Parker (although I think they renamed him for both films).

"Flow with the Go."

- Rickson Gracie
Maggers   10-16-2005, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I saw Lee Marvin's "Point Blank" a milion years ago and can't remember it. I'll check them both again.

BTW, I love Lee Marvin. I'd love to see a retrospective of his films, though I wonder if he'd seem the same in every one. Not quite sure about that.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Bluesman Mike Lindner   10-17-2005, 12:52 PM
Maggers Wrote:Thanks for the heads up. I saw Lee Marvin's "Point Blank" a milion years ago and can't remember it. I'll check them both again.

BTW, I love Lee Marvin. I'd love to see a retrospective of his films, though I wonder if he'd seem the same in every one. Not quite sure about that.

Compare Lee in THE DIRTY DOZEN with his role in CAT BALLOU. Both great performances, but =very= different.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   10-17-2005, 12:56 PM
Maggers Wrote:Thanks for the heads up. I saw Lee Marvin's "Point Blank" a milion years ago and can't remember it. I'll check them both again.

Compare Lee as Major John Reisman in THE DIRTY DOZEN with his role as Kid Shelleen in CAT BALLOU. Both great performances, but =very= different. Ah, Lee Marvin...when will we his like again?
KRW   10-17-2005, 10:25 PM

I'm not big on Lee Marvin. I can't really say why though. Now Steve Mcqueen or Paul Newman is a differant story.
man bites snake   10-23-2005, 10:11 PM
I think Lee Marvin was on the bottle when Point Blank was made. That could actually account for some character authenticity. And I liked Payback as well. Steve McQueen was the same way as Marvin, love him or hate him he was unapologetically his own person. That in itself commanded acknowledgement and/or respect that most actors shy away from now a-days. My personal favorite of this era is Once Upon A Time In The West. A truly beautiful film that was charcter specific and driven. They really don't make them like that any more, although Lawrence Kasdans Wyatt Earp was highly underappreciated, imho.
KRW   10-23-2005, 10:25 PM
man bites snake Wrote:I think Lee Marvin was on the bottle when Point Blank was made. That could actually account for some character authenticity. And I liked Payback as well. Steve McQueen was the same way as Marvin, love him or hate him he was unapologetically his own person. That in itself commanded acknowledgement and/or respect that most actors shy away from now a-days. My personal favorite of this era is Once Upon A Time In The West. A truly beautiful film that was charcter specific and driven. They really don't make them like that any more, although Lawrence Kasdans Wyatt Earp was highly underappreciated, imho.

The only movie I liked Lee Marvin in was "Paint Your Wagon". But then who would miss Lee and Clint in a musical western? Who? But Paul Newman in Cool Hand Luke is the perfect example of cool. I never felt like Lee quite hit that cool status.
Pages (3): 1 2 3