InfinityLtd   05-24-2004, 11:19 PM
I received my copy of THE TERY that I had ordered online. I was looking in the back and I saw the following: "The further adventures of Steven Dalt (and Pard) will continue in HEALER coming soon from BAEN BOOKS ." If I remember correctly (and I'm too tired to go looking through my stack of books to read), HEALER was part of THE LANAGUE CHRONICLES, the three-novels-in-one collection. Does this mean THE TERY is part of the LaNague series and thus should be read before THE LANAGUE CHRONICLES? :confused:

Thank you.

Eric S. Bauman

"Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there." -- John Barth

"All things serve the Beam." -- Stephen King

Paper clips: the larval stage of coat hangers.
Dave   05-25-2004, 06:16 AM
InfinityLtd Wrote:Does this mean THE TERY is part of the LaNague series and thus should be read before THE LANAGUE CHRONICLES? :confused:

Yes, Healer is part of the Lanague Chronicles, but The Tery is very much stand alone, and I believe written after the three stories in the Chronicles.

So don't fret, you can read it before or after, it doesn't matter.

Dave
Ken Valentine   05-25-2004, 08:40 AM
InfinityLtd Wrote:I received my copy of THE TERY that I had ordered online. I was looking in the back and I saw the following: "The further adventures of Steven Dalt (and Pard) will continue in HEALER coming soon from BAEN BOOKS ." If I remember correctly (and I'm too tired to go looking through my stack of books to read), HEALER was part of THE LANAGUE CHRONICLES, the three-novels-in-one collection. Does this mean THE TERY is part of the LaNague series and thus should be read before THE LANAGUE CHRONICLES? :confused:

Thank you.

Funny you should mention that. I just started re-reading HEALER today. There is brief reference to the events in THE TERY at the beginning of HEALER. Steve Dalt is a background character in THE TERY, and the major character in HEALER. It's not necessary, but if you really wanted to read them in some sort of order, read AN ENEMY OF THE STATE, DYDEETOWN WORLD, THE TERY, HEALER, and WHEELS WITHIN WHEELS. Actually, WHEELS WITHIN WHEELS could fit in just about anywhere after EOTS. And DYDEETOWN WORLD could be read before EOTS.

Regardless of which order you read the others, chronologically, it's AN ENEMY OF THE STATE, THE TERY, and HEALER.

Ken V.
Lisa   05-25-2004, 06:44 PM
The LaNague books are probably best read in the order they were published, which means you'd be reading THE TERY and DYDEETOWN WORLD (which I wouldn't really call a LaNague book but close enough) last.

Lisa
fpw   05-25-2004, 09:46 PM
What Ken and Lisa said.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Ken Valentine   05-26-2004, 06:35 AM
Lisa Wrote:The LaNague books are probably best read in the order they were published, which means you'd be reading THE TERY and DYDEETOWN WORLD (which I wouldn't really call a LaNague book but close enough) last.

Lisa

As I see it, it's a matter of taste.

MINOR SPOILER ... sorta ... maybe.

If you read THE TERY before HEALER, you will understand right off why Steve quit his job with the Cultural Survey Group. If you read HEALER first, you might not remember his remarks to Jean about why he quit. On the other hand, if you DO remember his comments, THE TERY acts as a good fill-in novel. So, you could go either way.

As I see it, WHEELS WITHIN WHEELS takes place during the time frame of HEALER.

'Nother minor spoiler ... sorta ... maybe.

If I remember correctly, WWW takes place right at the beginning of the Tarkan Wars, which are described in the beginning of the third part of HEALER.

I know you said "close enough," but I'm trying to start an argument here, so give me some slack. (WE haven't had a good argument yet ... so I'm trying to start one. Big Grin )

DYDEETOWN WORLD takes place in the early-middle part of AN ENEMY OF THE STATE. Chlor-cows have been invented, LaNague either has or hasn't confirmed it yet, and there is still emmigration to the Out Worlds.

So, the two major novels are AN ENEMY OF THE STATE, and HEALER. DYDEETOWN WORLD, THE TERY, and WHEELS WITHIN WHEELS are individual vignettes which take place within the scope of those two novels.

Without reading part of one book, putting it down, reading another, and then returning to the first novel, I'd put them in the following chronological order; DYDEETOWN WORLD, AN ENEMY OF THE STATE, THE TERY, HEALER, and finally,WHEELS WITHIN WHEELS. (as WWW comes more than midway through HEALER.)

Enny way, thatz mie x-kyuse ... wutz yerz?

Ken - larnin' to play these new bells and whistles - V.
InfinityLtd   05-26-2004, 12:49 PM
Thank you all for your advice. As I recall (still too lazy to look through that "books to read" stack plus fighting the stomach flu...yuck!), the book that I have of THE LANAGUE CHRONICLES has ENEMY OF THE STATE first, then it interweaves HEALER and WHEELS WITHIN WHEELS (I have the Baen Books paperback of LANAGUE, in case anybody's familiar with that).

Eric S. Bauman

"Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there." -- John Barth

"All things serve the Beam." -- Stephen King

Paper clips: the larval stage of coat hangers.
Lisa   05-26-2004, 03:52 PM
I think the connections are best grasped if you read them in the order they were written rather than the order in which they take place. *shrug* Since they're all fairly independent of each other, however, I don't think it matters much either way.

Lisa
Ken Valentine   05-26-2004, 11:48 PM
Lisa Wrote:I think the connections are best grasped if you read them in the order they were written rather than the order in which they take place. *shrug* Since they're all fairly independent of each other, however, I don't think it matters much either way.

Lisa

Sometimes it's more intriguing to read books OUT of order. For example; I read THE ADVERSARY CYCLE in the order I was able to find the books:

THE KEEP
THE TOMB
NIGHTWORLD
THE TOUCH
REBORN
REPRISAL

Reading NIGHTWORLD out of sequence made me all the more frantic to find the rest of the novels in order to learn just who these other participants were, and how they fit into the overall story.

Later, I read them in the order they were published, and finally in chronological order. I like chronological order best, but this is merely a matter of taste.

Ken V.