Pages (2): 1 2   
saynomore   10-06-2005, 03:33 PM
Saw this movie yesterday. May I advise people interested in seeing History of Violence: The movie does not revolve around whether or not Viggo is a former killer or not; that part is explained away pretty quickly in the movie; it revolves around what he does about it. So don't go in thinking that you have to wait until the very end to get the payoff, 'cause you'll be disappointed. But if you're Viggo fan or a Cronenberg fan for that matter, you'll really enjoy the movie (although John Hurt is a bit over the top--even gave Jim Carrey a run for his money IMHO).

AC

P.S. Yes, it does have the typical amount of Cronenberg gore.
t4terrific   10-06-2005, 03:57 PM
saynomore Wrote:Saw this movie yesterday. May I advise people interested in seeing History of Violence: The movie does not revolve around whether or not Viggo is a former killer or not; that part is explained away pretty quickly in the movie; it revolves around what he does about it. So don't go in thinking that you have to wait until the very end to get the payoff, 'cause you'll be disappointed. But if you're Viggo fan or a Cronenberg fan for that matter, you'll really enjoy the movie (although John Hurt is a bit over the top--even gave Jim Carrey a run for his money IMHO).

AC

P.S. Yes, it does have the typical amount of Cronenberg gore.

I'm glad someone posted on this film. I want to see it, but I'm in a theater slump right now. Sometimes I'll go see every movie out there for months. Othertimes, I'll go months and months without hitting the theater at all (even though I'm missing some really great films).

I want to see A History of Violence, Corpse Bride, and maybe Serenity.
saynomore   10-06-2005, 04:17 PM
t4terrific Wrote:I'm glad someone posted on this film. I want to see it, but I'm in a theater slump right now. Sometimes I'll go see every movie out there for months. Othertimes, I'll go months and months without hitting the theater at all (even though I'm missing some really great films).

I want to see A History of Violence, Corpse Bride, and maybe Serenity.

I have seen all three of these movies and my order of preference is:

1. Serenity: Best damn movie there is out there right now and probably this year. It begins funny, gets serious, and more serious, and then blows you away. I'm dragging the girlfriend to see it this weekend. She'll complain at first, but after seeing it, she'll be thanking me.

2. A History of Violence: 'Nuff said.

3. Corpse Bride: Add this to the movies that brought a tear to my eye. I liked it enough to forgive the numerous songs (I'm not a big movie musical fan--with the exception of Cabaret).

AC

P.S. Re: A Sound of Thunder: This movie has cheap special effects and it shows. --BUT!!!-- I loved it. Great story, as one would expect from the other Man, Ray Bradbury, and great ending. I definitely recommend this movie, but for you special effects nitpickers, you might want to wait for the DVD rental.
hford713   10-11-2005, 07:54 PM
After waiting patiently for this film to be released, I finally saw this last week and found it so uninteresting and uneventful that I felt that it should have never been made into a movie (just another one of those "guy must deal with his past" stories.) Sure, it had a bit of the Cronenberg feel to it, but there just was no story (at least not one worth telling) and just silly, cardboard characters (and bland acting, courtesy of Viggo and his wife.)
On top of it - and don't get me wrong, as I enjoy a good roll in the hay as much as the next person does - the smut scenes were way too over the top and completely unnecessary.
In all, this movie was so absurd that it made me chuckle while watching it.
saynomore   10-12-2005, 06:55 PM
hford713 Wrote:After waiting patiently for this film to be released, I finally saw this last week and found it so uninteresting and uneventful that I felt that it should have never been made into a movie (just another one of those "guy must deal with his past" stories.) Sure, it had a bit of the Cronenberg feel to it, but there just was no story (at least not one worth telling) and just silly, cardboard characters (and bland acting, courtesy of Viggo and his wife.)
On top of it - and don't get me wrong, as I enjoy a good roll in the hay as much as the next person does - the smut scenes were way too over the top and completely unnecessary.
In all, this movie was so absurd that it made me chuckle while watching it.

Can you think of a Cronenberg movie that doesn't make you chuckle? Guy's head exploding, guy having sex with his TV, "mutant medical instruments," --lots of laughs. And when Viggo pummels a guy's face, it stays pummeled. Hardy-har-har!

AC
Kenji   10-13-2005, 11:22 AM
I can't see it yet. I saw the trailer, and I'm really looking forward to it.

I like Cronenberg's movies as much as John Carpenter's movies. Their movies are dark, weird, and artistic. Yes, "artistic". Even in "The Fly".

When I saw this movie, I understood why human invented a fly swatter. :p
Kenji   03-26-2006, 08:06 AM
My last post was 10-13-2005. And, at last, today I saw A History of Violence in a theater.Smile

First, I was confused. Is it really Cronrenberg's movie? Normally, main character in Cronenberg's movie is skinny. So I was amazed he used Viggo Mortensen. But still, I felt it has Cronenberg's taste. I enjoyed it. Also, when Tom faced Fogarty and his followers at courtyard, this movie looked like a westerns movie. Yes, Carl Fogarty...Ed Harris was awesome as usual. His character reminded me of his "Walker". Viggo Mortensen, Ed Harris, Maria Bello, William Hurt....What a nice casting! And after I saw this movie, I bought Graphic novel of "A History of Violence". Has somebody read it?

My favorite Cronenberg's films top 5

1, Scanners
2, The Fly
3, Dead Ringers
4, The Dead Zone
5, eXistenZ

Worst 3

1, M.Butterfly
2, Crash
3, Spider
Maggers   03-26-2006, 02:34 PM
I saw "History of Violence" last week on DVD and enjoyed it very much. The movie is about relationships, with one another in families, with friends, and most importantly, with ourselves. I thought Viggo and Maria Bello were great. I really liked their son, and Ed Harris was terrific, as always.

BTW, John Hurt does not appear in this movie. John Hurt plays the huge talking head dictator in "V for Vendetta." It's William Hurt and he received an Oscar nomination for his performance in "History of Violence."

I've heard that Cronenberg's parents died while he was still fairly young, both from cancers that took their toll before the parents passed away. It seems Cronenberg was profoundly influenced by those events, and the thought that something living inside you, an alien being if you will, can take over and eat you alive.

I see that theme in "History," as well, except it's a behavior, a killer way of life taking over instead of a rogue cell growing rampant or an alien within. Viggo's character had to spend years in the desert cleansing himself of that behavior before he could trust himself to re-enter society. But was it really purged? Or are we doomed to be who we are by virtue of what's inside us, either in our heads or in our bodies? Interesting stuff, if you're of a mind to examine human behavior.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Kenji   03-26-2006, 05:24 PM
Maggers Wrote:I saw "History of Violence" last week on DVD and enjoyed it very much. The movie is about relationships, with one another in families, with friends, and most importantly, with ourselves. I thought Viggo and Maria Bello were great. I really liked their son, and Ed Harris was terrific, as always.

BTW, John Hurt does not appear in this movie. John Hurt plays the huge talking head dictator in "V for Vendetta." It's William Hurt and he received an Oscar nomination for his performance in "History of Violence."

I've heard that Cronenberg's parents died while he was still fairly young, both from cancers that took their toll before the parents passed away. It seems Cronenberg was profoundly influenced by those events, and the thought that something living inside you, an alien being if you will, can take over and eat you alive.

I see that theme in "History," as well, except it's a behavior, a killer way of life taking over instead of a rogue cell growing rampant or an alien within. Viggo's character had to spend years in the desert cleansing himself of that behavior before he could trust himself to re-enter society. But was it really purged? Or are we doomed to be who we are by virtue of what's inside us, either in our heads or in our bodies? Interesting stuff, if you're of a mind to examine human behavior.

Good review, Maggers. I wanted to say like you.

By the way, I didn't mention about John Hurt. I said William Hurt. And I know he was Oscar nomination for his performance in "History of Violence."
Maggers   03-26-2006, 07:27 PM
Kenji Wrote:Good review, Maggers. I wanted to say like you.

By the way, I didn't mention about John Hurt. I said William Hurt. And I know he was Oscar nomination for his performance in "History of Violence."

Thanks, Kenji. Sorry, I didn't mean to say you said John Hurt. I was correcting whoever wrote the first post who said that "John Hurt's performance was over the top."

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Pages (2): 1 2