next_door   10-04-2005, 01:30 AM
I want to know how come the reference to Lyle meeting Jack in Conspiracies. Lyle says in The Haunted Air "But a particularly close call when he'd barely out ran on the plainclothes D's who'd broken up thier game" (Wilson 81). And then of course Jack had done something very similar in Conspiracies when it describes him breaking up a similar game "With one lighting move he overturned the two end caps, shouted, 'I win!' when no ball showed, then snatched up the two piles of bills and the earring" (Wilson 63). So obviously there is a connection between the two parts. So why was this connection mentioned (probably teased) and then not explored? :confused:

P.S. Sorry I could not find a good exert from Conspiracies, but I was copying off of Google Print and it is difficult to find the perfect line. Big Grin
BrettM   10-04-2005, 09:10 AM
I think you'll find that Lyle wasn't even living in New York at the time, so it couldn't have been Jack who broke up his game. Lots of hustlers run shell games, in lots of places.

*SLMW 1.0* No animals were harmed in the production of this message.
Maggers   10-04-2005, 01:00 PM
BrettM Wrote:I think you'll find that Lyle wasn't even living in New York at the time, so it couldn't have been Jack who broke up his game. Lots of hustlers run shell games, in lots of places.

I think Brett is correct. Lyle grew up and lived in Detroit until he moved to NYC. I also think he bought Menalaeus (pardon the spelling) Mansion nearly immediately upon arriving in NY.

The shell game that Jack broke up in Central Park was one of a zillion such games that are played every day everywhere all over the City. The game that Jack broke up had nothing to do with Lyle. So Brett is right about that, too.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd