jpwynn   10-03-2005, 01:40 PM
I read APhew's post and thought I'd just reply, but I thought that was getting kind of long and I had a separate thought. I had a major problem and I was wondering if anyone agreed.....or disagreed, for that matter.

FPW definitely combined two of my favorite literary forms - RJ and a race against time. That was great. It definitely made the book un-put-downable. I even cried at one point.

But I felt like the end was almost a deus ex machina. You know - the dramatic tool dating back to the Greeks? When the situation is so dire, that only a god could fix the problem. So a god would enter at the end of the play and set everything right.

In my mind, that's a copout. (Maybe not so extreme, but I can't think of a better word).

I felt like the ending of INFERNAL was almost like a deus ex machina. I think it's great that Tom made a big turnaround but:

1.) It was quite abrupt (only a few hours earlier he was still decided in not doing anything).
2.) I thought it was very convenient that they were able to override the rules of the Lilitongue
3.) And it just seemed like a quick ending leaving a weak resolution. I don't mind the lack of action in the book, but at least a bigger ending. It was like.....only a few minutes to go til death.....problem solved......end of story.

Not to mention, the whole Wrath of Allah didn't seem to fit. It was almost like it was thrown in there so as to have a second storyline. It may come in later on (I wouldn't be surprised), but usually the second storylines have some sort of resolution, even if not everything is completely wrapped up.

I guess my main concern is that RJ is losing his touch. I still love RJ, and rate FPW's novels a cut above the rest (several cuts actually), but first, two people he was working with in CrissCross were murdered, in horrific ways (I know it wasn't his fault, but still....) and then everything kept getting botched in Infernal, and there was this quick wrapup ending which didn't ring true and ended everything pretty quickly.

I hate to criticize because I don't want to offend anyone.....especially the man who constantly amazes me with his creative and brilliant stories that affect me like no other. But Infernal actually concerned me. But maybe that's a good thing......the reason I'm concerned is because I care.

Thoughts anyone?
t4terrific   10-03-2005, 04:16 PM
I agree, kinda. I didn't like the tricking it with a brother gimmick. I was hoping for something a little more creative. Maybe something between the lines, that everyone missed, but The brother trick felt a little like a stumble. I guess I'm spoiled.

jpwynn Wrote:I read APhew's post and thought I'd just reply, but I thought that was getting kind of long and I had a separate thought. I had a major problem and I was wondering if anyone agreed.....or disagreed, for that matter.

FPW definitely combined two of my favorite literary forms - RJ and a race against time. That was great. It definitely made the book un-put-downable. I even cried at one point.

But I felt like the end was almost a deus ex machina. You know - the dramatic tool dating back to the Greeks? When the situation is so dire, that only a god could fix the problem. So a god would enter at the end of the play and set everything right.

In my mind, that's a copout. (Maybe not so extreme, but I can't think of a better word).

I felt like the ending of INFERNAL was almost like a deus ex machina. I think it's great that Tom made a big turnaround but:

1.) It was quite abrupt (only a few hours earlier he was still decided in not doing anything).
2.) I thought it was very convenient that they were able to override the rules of the Lilitongue
3.) And it just seemed like a quick ending leaving a weak resolution. I don't mind the lack of action in the book, but at least a bigger ending. It was like.....only a few minutes to go til death.....problem solved......end of story.

Not to mention, the whole Wrath of Allah didn't seem to fit. It was almost like it was thrown in there so as to have a second storyline. It may come in later on (I wouldn't be surprised), but usually the second storylines have some sort of resolution, even if not everything is completely wrapped up.

I guess my main concern is that RJ is losing his touch. I still love RJ, and rate FPW's novels a cut above the rest (several cuts actually), but first, two people he was working with in CrissCross were murdered, in horrific ways (I know it wasn't his fault, but still....) and then everything kept getting botched in Infernal, and there was this quick wrapup ending which didn't ring true and ended everything pretty quickly.

I hate to criticize because I don't want to offend anyone.....especially the man who constantly amazes me with his creative and brilliant stories that affect me like no other. But Infernal actually concerned me. But maybe that's a good thing......the reason I'm concerned is because I care.

Thoughts anyone?