Pages (2): 1 2   
Maggers   09-26-2005, 12:08 AM
"Extras" on HBO has to be the funniest show I've seen in years. OMG, Ricky Gervais has done it again. Kate Winslet guest starred and was hysterical, too. Dave, have you seen it? I bet you have and I bet you loved Kate in full nun gear, wimple et al, cigarette in hand and feigning phone sex. Fabulous! I can't wait to see it again.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

APhew   09-26-2005, 01:33 PM
Maggers Wrote:"Extras" on HBO has to be the funniest show I've seen in years. OMG, Ricky Gervais has done it again. Kate Winslet guest starred and was hysterical, too. Dave, have you seen it? I bet you have and I bet you loved Kate in full nun gear, wimple et al, cigarette in hand and feigning phone sex. Fabulous! I can't wait to see it again.

I recorded this last night, I'm looking forward to watching it BIG TIME now. Big Grin
Dave   09-26-2005, 01:54 PM
Maggers Wrote:"Extras" on HBO has to be the funniest show I've seen in years. OMG, Ricky Gervais has done it again. Kate Winslet guest starred and was hysterical, too. Dave, have you seen it? I bet you have and I bet you loved Kate in full nun gear, wimple et al, cigarette in hand and feigning phone sex. Fabulous! I can't wait to see it again.

It certainly had it's moments. And yes, the Kate Winslet bit was the funniest bit of the series in my opinion. Although Patrick Stewart is pretty good in his episode.

Dave
Maggers   09-26-2005, 03:04 PM
Dave Wrote:It certainly had it's moments. And yes, the Kate Winslet bit was the funniest bit of the series in my opinion. Although Patrick Stewart is pretty good in his episode.

Dave

Hmmm...sounds like the series might peter out as time goes on. Last night was the first episode, the one with Kate Winslet. I really enjoyed it. Guess time will tell.

Dave, how did you like "The Office?" I loved it, though it gave me many moments where I cringed even as I was laughing. Perhaps on this side of the pond, Ricky Gervais is so unique that he stands head and shoulders above what we are served as routine comedy series.
This post was last modified: 09-26-2005, 03:06 PM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Dave   09-27-2005, 06:56 AM
Maggers Wrote:Hmmm...sounds like the series might peter out as time goes on. Last night was the first episode, the one with Kate Winslet. I really enjoyed it. Guess time will tell.

Dave, how did you like "The Office?" I loved it, though it gave me many moments where I cringed even as I was laughing. Perhaps on this side of the pond, Ricky Gervais is so unique that he stands head and shoulders above what we are served as routine comedy series.

This is my problem with Gervais. I'm not a fan of embarrasing humour, I really get turned off by it, unless it is self referential. So seeing the stars make fools of themselves is funny, but the other plots, the ones that involve him or his friend getting mistaken as bigots or racists, although I can see why they are funny I just want to turn off. I ended up tivoing the show and forwarding through those bits and only watching the stars doing their thing.

This is also why I never got into The Office, some of it was funny, granted, but some of it was just not for me.

You're seeing it in a different order to what we saw. We had Ben Stiller first, which was a little flat. Kate was about half way through the series (6 episodes in total).

Check out the episode with Ross Kemp, you may not know the actor (he was a big soap star in the UK and went on to play very manly roles), but the episode is just a classic and a perfect example of an actor taking the piss out of himself.

Dave
neotank   10-13-2005, 09:13 PM
I watched this show after reading this post...and I must say Thank You!!

Hilarious stuff. I laughed so hard I cried.
Maggers   10-13-2005, 11:34 PM
neotank Wrote:I watched this show after reading this post...and I must say Thank You!!

Hilarious stuff. I laughed so hard I cried.

Me, too! And I am still laughing, so the series has not gone south as I feared it might. You have to listen closely, there are so many wonderful throw away lines. I love Ricky Gervais' conversations with his blonde extra buddy. They are priceless.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

hford713   10-18-2005, 05:34 PM
I've got this in my queue and I wait anxiously for it (will probably buy it when it street dates).
I consider the BBC Office to be the greatest television EVER (with Curb Your Enthusiasm a very close second.)
Gervais's character in The Office isn't even something you can write very easily or at all (I'm sure much of it - much like Curb - was simply show up for the scene, be given the basic premise and totally ad lib it). How do you write a character like that? Gervais is an undisputed genius at that craft for pulling that off, IMHO. I never tire of it - and I actually wept during the holiday special not just because everything wrapped up rather nicely, but because it was OVER. Sad indeed.
neotank   10-19-2005, 09:37 PM
hford713 Wrote:I've got this in my queue and I wait anxiously for it (will probably buy it when it street dates).
I consider the BBC Office to be the greatest television EVER (with Curb Your Enthusiasm a very close second.)
Gervais's character in The Office isn't even something you can write very easily or at all (I'm sure much of it - much like Curb - was simply show up for the scene, be given the basic premise and totally ad lib it). How do you write a character like that? Gervais is an undisputed genius at that craft for pulling that off, IMHO. I never tire of it - and I actually wept during the holiday special not just because everything wrapped up rather nicely, but because it was OVER. Sad indeed.

What is the Office? A TV show by the creator of Extra's? I would like to see it.

Back to Extra's...I must say, wasn't the conversation in the cemetery really funny on last Sunday's show. His mother is a hundred years old LOL
Maggers   10-20-2005, 06:44 PM
neotank Wrote:What is the Office? A TV show by the creator of Extra's? I would like to see it.

If you like "Extras," you've got to see the British series "The Office," created, written, directed by and starring Ricky Gervais. It's absolutely brilliant.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0290978/

Do not confuse it was the perfectly awful American version that's on NBC now. That one stinks to high heaven.

neotank Wrote:Back to Extra's...I must say, wasn't the conversation in the cemetery really funny on last Sunday's show. His mother is a hundred years old LOL

OMG! I was just talking to someone about that scene. I loved when his lumpen friend points to the tombstone and says..."Look here. Your mum died in 1953. So....how old are you?"

And Ricky Gervais says, with one of his priceless looks first to his blonde extra buddy and then back to the tombstone, "Hmm..yes..ummm..Well, that would make me 52...Yeah, I'm 52 years old and a jew."

I fell out the couch laughing and I keep laughing everytime I think of that scene. Absolutely wonderful.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Pages (2): 1 2