Pages (2):    1 2
Ken Valentine   04-04-2008, 02:55 AM
Maggers Wrote:I love love love love love love love love "The Great Escape." I was 11 when it came out and saw it in a drive in movie in the summertime. OMG...all those hunks in one flick, enough to give a pre-teen the vapors!

Especially -- I would imagine -- Charles Bronson. Danny, "the Tunnel King." His role was based on a number of prisoners in that Camp. One was Wally Floody, who was actually one of the Tunnel "Kings," and another was a Polish flier whose first name was Danny, (I forget his last name at the moment) but it was mentioned in the book that Danny (according to the Camp Doctor) had "the most perfect physique-in-miniature of any man I have ever seen."

Seems that the real Danny, was of slight stature.

Also of interest, is the fact that Donald Pleasence (Blythe, "The Forger") was in real life, part of the crew of a Lancaster Bomber, and was shot down and spent a year or more as a POW himself.

Quote:It's one of those movies I have to stop and watch if I catch it on the tube.

I have in on DVD, but now I'm going to have to read the book again.

Ken V.
Ken Valentine   04-04-2008, 03:00 AM
t4terrific Wrote:When I think of Steve...Steve McQueen, I think of "cool". Of all the great actors, of all time, Steve McQueen was just the most "cool". I've always loved that aspect of him.
My favorite McQueen film would be "Bullit". I also loved "The Getaway", and "The Great Escape".

If he wasn't something of a jerk in real life, he would have had James Garner's part in John Frankenheimer's GRAND PRIX. Which in my view was the greatest racing movie ever made. McQueen was offered the part first, but turned it down. Seems he took an instant dislike to Frankenheimer's assistant.

Ken V.
RichE   04-05-2008, 08:14 PM
I love "THE REIVERS"!
When John Williams made a suite from the film he got Burgess Meredith back to do the narration as he did for the film.
NickelobLight   04-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Kenji Wrote:The Blob was best panic movie in '60s. Japanese title was "Terror of Man-eating amoeba".

Are you for real?! That's frigging AWESOME!!! If they named it that in America, I'd watch it five or six times at the theater!!!

Kenji, you have GOT to tell me more Japanese translations of movie titles! That is one of the coolest titles I've ever heard of!

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. -H.L. Mencken

Let not thy will roar when thy power can but whisper. -Dr. Thomas Fuller (1654-1734), Gnomologia, 1732

[Image: dfb17bf94b00b1e2eb_5.jpg] [Image: s_logo_tampa.gif]
NickelobLight   04-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Oh, and Steve McQueen was incredible in The Great Escape. Easily one of my ten favorite movies of all time. Did I say he was incredible? Nay, a minor deity, in fact.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. -H.L. Mencken

Let not thy will roar when thy power can but whisper. -Dr. Thomas Fuller (1654-1734), Gnomologia, 1732

Kenji   04-12-2008, 10:05 AM
NickelobLight Wrote:Are you for real?! That's frigging AWESOME!!! If they named it that in America, I'd watch it five or six times at the theater!!!

Yes, it's for real. But "Terror of Man-eating amoeba" is feels like B-movie...

Oh, wait! "The Blob" was B-movie! Big Grin

NickelobLight Wrote:Kenji, you have GOT to tell me more Japanese translations of movie titles! That is one of the coolest titles I've ever heard of!

Yeah, well, so how about this? Guess what it is! Big Grin

1. Substance X from Planet.

2. New York 1997

3. Beyond of aurora

4. Fortress police

5. Human Catcher
NickelobLight   04-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Kenji Wrote:Yes, it's for real. But "Terror of Man-eating amoeba" is feels like B-movie...

Oh, wait! "The Blob" was B-movie! Big Grin

Yeah, well, so how about this? Guess what it is! Big Grin

1. Substance X from Planet.

2. New York 1997

3. Beyond of aurora

4. Fortress police

5. Human Catcher

You've got to be kidding me. I'm going to be so wrong, I know it. Well, let me guess this...

1. Not a clue, but with a name like that, I HAVE to see it. Moontrap? (Bruce Campbell is awesome)
2. Escape from New York? (Did that take place in '97? I thought it was '99)
3. Stargate? Am I detecting a Kurt Russell theme?
4. Wow. No clue. The Keep? No. Too obvious. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom? (If I get that right, someone owes me money)
5. Human Catcher? Really? Eh...for some reason I want to say it's a western, (because the only bounty hunter movie that takes place in modern times that I can think of is Domino...and that sucked). 3:10 to Yuma is too new, and they're not really catching Russel Crowe...they've already caught him. Unforgiven? Maybe. Oh! Duh...The Fugitive! So here it is.

1. I have no earthly idea. I'm going to say Moontrap.
2. Escape from New York
3. Stargate
4. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
5. The Fugitive

How'd I do?

NickelobLight   04-12-2008, 07:12 PM
And yeah, Terror of Man-Eating Amoeba DOES sound like a B-movie. A wonderful wonderful B-movie.

Kenji   04-12-2008, 08:41 PM
NickelobLight Wrote:You've got to be kidding me. I'm going to be so wrong, I know it. Well, let me guess this...

1. Not a clue, but with a name like that, I HAVE to see it. Moontrap? (Bruce Campbell is awesome)
2. Escape from New York? (Did that take place in '97? I thought it was '99)
3. Stargate? Am I detecting a Kurt Russell theme?
4. Wow. No clue. The Keep? No. Too obvious. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom? (If I get that right, someone owes me money)
5. Human Catcher? Really? Eh...for some reason I want to say it's a western, (because the only bounty hunter movie that takes place in modern times that I can think of is Domino...and that sucked). 3:10 to Yuma is too new, and they're not really catching Russel Crowe...they've already caught him. Unforgiven? Maybe. Oh! Duh...The Fugitive! So here it is.

1. I have no earthly idea. I'm going to say Moontrap.
2. Escape from New York
3. Stargate
4. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
5. The Fugitive

How'd I do?

"Escape from New York" was correct. Big Grin

1. John Carpenter's The Thing
3. Frequency
4. Assault on Precinct 13
5. Jeepers Creepers2
Attached Files
.jpg
NY1997.jpg (Size: 55.33 KB Downloads: 24)
This post was last modified: 04-12-2008, 08:43 PM by Kenji.
NickelobLight   04-12-2008, 09:45 PM
Kenji Wrote:"Escape from New York" was correct. Big Grin

1. John Carpenter's The Thing
3. Frequency
4. Assault on Precinct 13
5. Jeepers Creepers2

Well, yeah. Now it makes sense...

Big Grin

Pages (2):    1 2