The Mad American   05-21-2004, 03:00 PM
Anyone seen the long preview for this? It is M. Night Shamalans new movie that comes out this summer.

Looks really good. But I say that because there are two scenes in the preview that remind me of things that just scared the crap out of me as a kid.

First, the premise of the Village is that they live in this nice little village in the early days of America and there is some sort of bad thing that lives in the forest around them. But if they don't bug it, it won't bug them. The village is surrounded by torches on the perimeter of the village/border of the forest.

Well, the kids have a game they play at night were one of them stands really close to the edge of the woods with his back to the woods, and trys to stay that way for as long as he can....I can remember doing that when I was a kid, I lived in the hills and there was a story/area urban myth about a murderer named "Hacksaw Harry" who was last seen in the woods above were I lived, we used to do the same thing, see who was the bravest by standing with our backs to the woods. Was very tense and scary.

Then there is a scene when I guess the bad things are coming into the village to do whatever bad things do, and everyone is hiding, there is a blind girl in the movie and she is waiting for her boyfriend to come back before she will hide, she has her hand outstretched to the outside while the bad things are tearing things up, saying she knows her boyfriend will be coming..

Reminded me of when, growing up my bedroom was in an unfinished basement. So we didn't have light switches, just a string hanging from the light bulb in the middle of the room. I can remember being terrified that while blindly groping for the light string at night, that I was going to touch something that shouldn't be there...gives me the creeps thinking about it now...

Hope the movie lives up to my initial impression.
jimbow8   08-08-2004, 11:36 AM
The Mad American Wrote:Reminded me of when, growing up my bedroom was in an unfinished basement. So we didn't have light switches, just a string hanging from the light bulb in the middle of the room. I can remember being terrified that while blindly groping for the light string at night, that I was going to touch something that shouldn't be there...gives me the creeps thinking about it now...
You should read Stephen King's Bag of Bones and the short story The Boogeyman.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft