Kenji   08-06-2005, 10:16 AM
This evening, I watched HEAVY METAL on DVD.

What a fantastic animation! The movie was made in 1981. Not CG animation. But it was very neat. Seven short episodes in movie, and each story is individual. My favorite story is "episode2; Harry Canyon". It reminded me of Blade Runner or Fifth Element. Of course, other stories were excellent too. Some of crowd scenes in "last episode; Taarna" were like The Lord of the Rings.

And, another important element is rock music. A lot of artists offered their songs to movie. Blue Oyster Cult, Donald Fagen, Stevie Nicks, Cheap Trick, Sammy Hager, Black Sabbath, Devo, Journey....oh, what a splendid singers!

Art, SF fantasy, action, hardrock, violence, drug, and.....sex. I want to see live film version. It'll be great! Cool

Has anyone seen this movie...? Or should I say "Do you remember this movie?"
Richard Kendrick   08-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Golly. I have not seen that movie in a long time. The scene that sticks out to me is the one with the airplains... When "The Mob Rules" by Black Sabbath kicks in and Ronny James Dio starts singing.... Powerful!

Blue Oyster Cult's "Veteran of The Psychic Wars".... That song had a nice vibe for the movie as well. "Heavy Metal" by Sammy Hagar, Working In A Coalmine by Devo. Lots of hits on the soundtrack.

There are just too many classic scenes to metnion. Very cool.

Also, John Candy did a voice or two in that movie. "Mmmmm... Big." Big Grin

RIK
Kenji   08-06-2005, 07:02 PM
Richard Kendrick Wrote:Golly. I have not seen that movie in a long time. The scene that sticks out to me is the one with the airplains... When "The Mob Rules" by Black Sabbath kicks in and Ronny James Dio starts singing.... Powerful!

Blue Oyster Cult's "Veteran of The Psychic Wars".... That song had a nice vibe for the movie as well. "Heavy Metal" by Sammy Hagar, Working In A Coalmine by Devo. Lots of hits on the soundtrack.

There are just too many classic scenes to metnion. Very cool.

RIK, I knew you like this movie! I didn't realize Ronny James Dio....

Quote:Also, John Candy did a voice or two in that movie. "Mmmmm... Big." Big Grin

RIK

"There was no way I was gonna walk around this place with my dork hangin' out" It cracked me up! Big Grin
Biggles   08-06-2005, 07:27 PM
Kenji Wrote:This evening, I watched HEAVY METAL on DVD.

What a fantastic animation! The movie was made in 1981. Not CG animation. But it was very neat. Seven short episodes in movie, and each story is individual. My favorite story is "episode2; Harry Canyon". It reminded me of Blade Runner or Fifth Element. Of course, other stories were excellent too. Some of crowd scenes in "last episode; Taarna" were like The Lord of the Rings.

And, another important element is rock music. A lot of artists offered their songs to movie. Blue Oyster Cult, Donald Fagen, Stevie Nicks, Cheap Trick, Sammy Hager, Black Sabbath, Devo, Journey....oh, what a splendid singers!

Art, SF fantasy, action, hardrock, violence, drug, and.....sex. I want to see live film version. It'll be great! Cool

Has anyone seen this movie...? Or should I say "Do you remember this movie?"

Blue Oyster Cult's "Fire of Unknown Origin" included their track from the movie, as well as a few that alluded to the movie ("Heavy Metal", "Vengeance (The Pact)", and "Sole Survivor"). A good album for you to get, if haven't already.

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
neotank   08-06-2005, 10:06 PM
LOL... When I was in grade school that movie was really popular amongst us guys. It was the first cartoon we ever saw with nudity...

Ahhhh... to be young again...
jimbow8   08-06-2005, 10:13 PM
I love the soundtrack to this movie (movie is good too). My favorites are the two Cheap Trick songs and two Don Felder songs.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
KRW   08-07-2005, 11:10 PM
neotank Wrote:LOL... When I was in grade school that movie was really popular amongst us guys. It was the first cartoon we ever saw with nudity...

Ahhhh... to be young again...

Wasn't it All The Rage? Big Grin

KRW
Jake Badlands   08-08-2005, 09:05 AM
Heavy Metal is sweet! Always figured it was ahead of its time. Heck, I was only two years old when it was released. That cabbie Harry Canyon is Bruce Willis period. My favorite episode is Hanover Fist; can't help but find it hilarious. Still have yet to see Heavy Metal 2000 (is it even related?).

Off topic: Kenji I've been wondering this for nearly a year now - is your avatar of Repairman Jack infront of a Rakoshi?

Oh and hi by the way.
jimbow8   08-08-2005, 09:13 AM
Jake Badlands Wrote:Heavy Metal is sweet! Always figured it was ahead of its time. Heck, I was only two years old when it was released. That cabbie Harry Canyon is Bruce Willis period. My favorite episode is Hanover Fist; can't help but find it hilarious. Still have yet to see Heavy Metal 2000 (is it even related?).

Off topic: Kenji I've been wondering this for nearly a year now - is your avatar of Repairman Jack infront of a Rakoshi?

Oh and hi by the way.
Welcome to the board, Jake.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Kenji   08-08-2005, 09:24 AM
Jake Badlands Wrote:Off topic: Kenji I've been wondering this for nearly a year now - is your avatar of Repairman Jack infront of a Rakoshi?

Oh and hi by the way.

Welcome to the board, Jake.

This is The Tomb's cover illustration of Japanese edition. And, yes, this is Rakoshi. It's cool, isn't it? Cool