Pages (3): 1 2 3   
Kenji   07-17-2005, 09:22 AM
What's your first movie in theater?

Mine is "King Kong" in 1976. I was 7 at that time, but I still remember that day. My mother took me to theater. Of course, I was kid, so I didn't know about movie. Moreover it was Hollywood movie. And, when movie has begun, I was surprised. It was Japanese subtitles version. I couldn't read subtitles so fast (well, actually, almost). Rolleyes

But once King Kong appeared in the screen, I saw it like one in a dream. I was stunned to huge King Kong. As I said, I was 7 at that time, so I didn't know it was SFX. To me that was real huge Gorilla.

At that last scene, when King Kong fell out from a building I cried to his death. I truly believed he "died". I still remember I cried.

After that movie, I became moviegoer, of course. Smile

So.....what's your first movie in theater? Let's talk about it, if you remember it.
Lisa   07-17-2005, 11:26 AM
Believe it or not, the first movie I saw at the theater (drive-in, actually) was Star Wars in 1977. I was around 5 years old. I remember it pretty well considering how little I was. My brother fell asleep in the "way back" of our woody 70s station wagon, missed the movie, and has never forgiven himself. Wink

Lisa
Maggers   07-17-2005, 12:17 PM
The first movie I remember seeing in a theater, and I may have seen other movies in theaters but this is the one I remember best, was "Sleeping Beauty" in 1959. I was 7.

I think my mother took me as a birthday treat to a movie theater in Times Square. I'm emphasizing that because it was a very big deal for us to go all the way downtown. Ours was the last stop in the Bronx, on the #6 express subway line. It was a hike and what a treat.

What I remember best was Times Square itself. There was this huge billboard advertisement with a man holding a lighted cigarette. The lit cigarette was neat enough, but then the man blew smoke out of his mouth! Real smoke! Holy cow! To a 7 year old that was miraculous.

And Maleficent is my favorite villain to this day.
This post was last modified: 07-18-2005, 12:36 AM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Scott Miller   07-17-2005, 01:34 PM
My first was quite memorable. My family all went to see 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea which blew me away, but what stands out is the drive home. We also had a faux wood paneled station wagon and we were cruising home on I-94 when two deer attempted to cross the interstate. The first one made it, the second crashed into the door right next to me killing it instantly. Not long after, a couple of men pulled up in a pick up and loaded the carcass onto it. Crazy. One of my strongest childhood memories.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Weatherford   07-17-2005, 04:17 PM
I think my first movie was Dog of Flanders (which I have never seen since)... All I remember was that it was sad, and there were windmills... and, of course, a dog and a boy.

I think it may have been in the old Clinton, NJ movie theater. I was 4 or 5 (depending on when the movie came out in 1959).

We didn't go to the movies much when I was growing up - we did get to watch Disney's Wonderful World of Color (usually in B&W on a neighbor's tv set....) - that's where I saw all the great Disney classics... <sigh> (The Horse with the Flying Tail , Miracle of the White Stallions , etc :p )
t4terrific   07-17-2005, 05:20 PM
Kenji Wrote:What's your first movie in theater?

Mine is "King Kong" in 1976. I was 7 at that time, but I still remember that day. My mother took me to theater. Of course, I was kid, so I didn't know about movie. Moreover it was Hollywood movie. And, when movie has begun, I was surprised. It was Japanese subtitles version. I couldn't read subtitles so fast (well, actually, almost). Rolleyes

But once King Kong appeared in the screen, I saw it like one in a dream. I was stunned to huge King Kong. As I said, I was 7 at that time, so I didn't know it was SFX. To me that was real huge Gorilla.

At that last scene, when King Kong fell out from a building I cried to his death. I truly believed he "died". I still remember I cried.

After that movie, I became moviegoer, of course. Smile

So.....what's your first movie in theater? Let's talk about it, if you remember it.

Mine was The Wrath of Kahn (I think it was Star Trek III). All I remember was telling all my friends how cool it was when the bugs started crawling into the guys ears. I was a young boy.
Kenji   07-17-2005, 06:44 PM
This theatre is where I first saw King Kong. The theater's name is "Subaru-za". Constructed in 1946. But in 1953, because of fire, it was burned out. And, in 1966, it re-built.

http://www.cinema-st.com/mini/m025.html
This post was last modified: 07-17-2005, 06:50 PM by Kenji.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   07-18-2005, 12:20 AM
I'm sure that my foster mom and dad took me to see movies before this, but the first I really remember to this day was THE MYSTERIANS. I can still remember the huge robot bursting out of the mountainside...
Kenji   07-18-2005, 12:47 AM
t4terrific Wrote:Mine was The Wrath of Kahn (I think it was Star Trek III). All I remember was telling all my friends how cool it was when the bugs started crawling into the guys ears. I was a young boy.

"The Wrath of Kahn" was Star Trek II. Yeah, in the movie series, I like this one.

I know that bugs scene. I was a young boy,too! Big Grin
Dave   07-18-2005, 07:12 AM
I'm sure my parents took me to a few Disney films, but can't remember which ones (Lady and the Tramp rings a bell).

I remember Star Wars because of the buzz and stories my dad mentions about me and my brother re-enacting lazer gun battles when we got home, but can't say I recall the going to the cinema.

The first film I really remember is because I went with my friend, without my parents knowing. I was 5/6, he was a couple of years older.

We wanted to see Battlestar Galactica (a year after Star Wars, the pilot double episode of the tv show was released as a film here in the UK).

We raided piggy banks, left the estate, found the bus stop and made our way to the town cinema on a Saturday afternoon. (For UKers, this was Barking in Essex).

The film had already started, so we bought the ticket anyway, went in half way through, saw the second half of the film and stayed in the cinema to watch the first half of the next performance. Then we went home happy and content.

To this day my parents have no idea I did that. So this is between us, okay.

Dave
Pages (3): 1 2 3