Scott Miller   07-16-2005, 01:57 PM
Last night I watched Hotel, the latest from Mike Figgis. He enters David Lynch territory with mixed results. The film is about a cast and crew in Venice shooting a dogma film and the very strange Hotel they are staying in. The ensemble has Salma Hayek, David Schwimmer, Julian Sands, Saffron Burrows(make a great Gia, IMO), and Rhys Ifans with a few cameos tossed in. John Malkovich's scene is disgusting as biting into a hot dog, only to discover it has veins.

I must say that I'm beginning to become a big Ifans fan. He truly disappears into his roles.

Not really sure what to make of Figgis. he seems to be one of those directors who make movies I know are competent, but I can't seem to warm up to.

Schwimmer handled himself well in a much different role than were accustomed to seeing him in and it got me to thinking about the film careers of the Friends cast. Most of them have managed to shed their TV image in the indie scene, and it made wonder if they are the most successful cast of TV actors to make the transition to film?
This post was last modified: 07-16-2005, 01:59 PM by Scott Miller.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
jimbow8   07-16-2005, 02:12 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:Schwimmer handled himself well in a much different role than were accustomed to seeing him in and it got me to thinking about the film careers of the Friends cast. Most of them have managed to shed their TV image in the indie scene, and it made wonder if they are the most successful cast of TV actors to make the transition to film?
I have to say that I am not impressed so far with their films overall. Haven't compared them to others though.

Ross: Schwimmer - I have yet to be impressed by him in any film. I actually find him horrible in most roles.

Chandler: Perry - good in Whole Nine Yards, what else???

Joey: LeBlanc - Lost in Space and the monkey movie.....

Phoebe: Kudrow - Romie and Michelle, didn't really care for it.

Monica: Cox-Arquette - Scream and other stuff, but she was kind of a star before Friends came along, from Family Ties.

Rachel: Aniston - She probably has had the best movie career. I'm a big fan of She's the One and Office Space. She's been in some others too.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Maggers   07-16-2005, 02:34 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:...Romie and Michelle, didn't really care for it.

I love "Romy and Michelle." I think I've seen it 3 or 4 times. Lisa Kudrow is talented and I've been enjoying "Comeback" on HBO.

The cast of "Friends" was a lucky group of young actors who fell into a great ensemble show.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Maggers   07-16-2005, 02:37 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:.. Saffron Burrows(make a great Gia, IMO)..

Gotta disagree with this one, Scott. She's too tall and too anorexic. I enjoy her in everything in which I've seen her, but no way is she Gia, IMO.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Scott Miller   07-16-2005, 02:39 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:I have to say that I am not impressed so far with their films overall. Haven't compared them to others though.

Can't say as I'm crazy about their collective body of work either, but they all make pictures that get the big screen treatment instead of the straight to DVD that most TV actors get relegated to.

Scott

Scott Miller   07-16-2005, 02:49 PM
Maggers Wrote:Gotta disagree with this one, Scott. She's too tall and too anorexic. I enjoy her in everything in which I've seen her, but no way is she Gia, IMO.

I guess we're gonna have to arm wrestle then. I find her exotic, much like I picture Gia and just look what at what Jackson was able to accomplish with height imaging in LOTR, making her shorter wouldn't be a problem.

Scott

Maggers   07-16-2005, 03:07 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:I guess we're gonna have to arm wrestle then. I find her exotic, much like I picture Gia and just look what at what Jackson was able to accomplish with height imaging in LOTR, making her shorter wouldn't be a problem.

Saffron Burrows is as exotic as her name, but that is not how I think of Gia. I picture Gia as the epitome of midwestern wholesomeness with a touch of fiery Italian temper thrown in. Not really exotic at all.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Biggles   07-16-2005, 05:03 PM
Maggers Wrote:Saffron Burrows is as exotic as her name, but that is not how I think of Gia. I picture Gia as the epitome of midwestern wholesomeness with a touch of fiery Italian temper thrown in. Not really exotic at all.

When I lived in the East, I probably believed in midwestern wholesomeness too. Now that I've lived in the Midwest for almost 30 years, I find that the Midwest may be boring, but it's no more wholesome than home was.

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Kenji   07-16-2005, 10:17 PM
Maggers Wrote:I love "Romy and Michelle." I think I've seen it 3 or 4 times. Lisa Kudrow is talented and I've been enjoying "Comeback" on HBO.

I agree. I LOVE "Romy and Michelle". Especially, their mention about "post-it", it cracked me up. Big Grin
Kenji   07-16-2005, 10:33 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:I have to say that I am not impressed so far with their films overall. Haven't compared them to others though.

Ross: Schwimmer - I have yet to be impressed by him in any film. I actually find him horrible in most roles.

He is funny character in Friends, but.....yeah, in films, he is an actor who doesn't attract attention.

Quote:Chandler: Perry - good in Whole Nine Yards, what else???

I like "Whole Nine Yards", but sequel film "Whole Ten Yards" was boring. His another movie, "Three to Tango" was funny.

Quote:Joey: LeBlanc - Lost in Space and the monkey movie.....

Now if I see "Lost in Space", I'll laugh at his sober character. "I can't believe it, that's Joey!" Big Grin

Quote:Phoebe: Kudrow - Romie and Michelle, didn't really care for it.

I like "Romie and Michelle". And, "Lucky number" with John Travolta.

Quote:Monica: Cox-Arquette - Scream and other stuff, but she was kind of a star before Friends came along, from Family Ties.

Before Family Ties, she was in Bruce Springsteen's videoclip,"Dancing in the Dark".

Quote:Rachel: Aniston - She probably has had the best movie career. I'm a big fan of She's the One and Office Space. She's been in some others too.

I like her movie, "Rock Star" with Mark Whalberg.