Pages (4): 1 2 3 4   
jimbow8   07-10-2005, 03:13 PM
Now this sounds kinda cool. This is the first I've heard of it, I think.

The Descent

It reminds me of this one, which I have seen previews for.

The Cave

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Barry Lee Dejasu   07-10-2005, 03:39 PM
The Descent is really quite interesting. Just in case The Cave is a complete and utter rip-off, I'd recommend reading the book first. Can never be too certain nowadays.

"...and your last thought is that you have become a noise...a thin, nameless noise among all these others...howling in the empty dark room"
--Ulver, "Nowhere/Catastrophe"
[Image: geomorfos.jpg]
Dave   07-11-2005, 08:26 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:The Descent

From the guy that directed Dog Soldiers. In all the press, I haven't heard anything about it being based on a novel.

It has had some terrific reviews though. I hope to check it out at some point, if I can find the time (and a victim to see it with me).

Dave
The Mad American   07-11-2005, 11:29 AM
Dave Wrote:From the guy that directed Dog Soldiers. In all the press, I haven't heard anything about it being based on a novel.

It has had some terrific reviews though. I hope to check it out at some point, if I can find the time (and a victim to see it with me).

Dave

Cool, I really enjoyed Dog Soldiers. I can't wait to get a look at this. Big Grin

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

jimbow8   07-11-2005, 11:36 AM
The Mad American Wrote:Cool, I really enjoyed Dog Soldiers. I can't wait to get a look at this. Big Grin
Yeah, me too. I thought it was pretty original and well done. I forgot to mention Dog Soldiers in my original message as one of his movies.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
jimbow8   07-11-2005, 11:37 AM
Dave Wrote:From the guy that directed Dog Soldiers. In all the press, I haven't heard anything about it being based on a novel.

Dave
I think he was referring to The Cave.

lovestigger68   07-11-2005, 02:07 PM
Oh My God! I didn't think anyone else made this connection but myself and my husband. I don't know anyone who has read The Decent by Jeff Long. How exciting. I haven't seen the previews but was wondering if they may be the same story. Does it look like it? I have made recommendations about Jeff Long to others. I LOVED the Descent. What a rich, engaging story.

Rose

jimbow8 Wrote:Now this sounds kinda cool. This is the first I've heard of it, I think.

The Descent

It reminds me of this one, which I have seen previews for.

The Cave

Rose Murphy
Dave   07-11-2005, 02:46 PM
lovestigger68 Wrote:Oh My God! I didn't think anyone else made this connection but myself and my husband. I don't know anyone who has read The Decent by Jeff Long. How exciting. I haven't seen the previews but was wondering if they may be the same story. Does it look like it? I have made recommendations about Jeff Long to others. I LOVED the Descent. What a rich, engaging story.

Rose

The Descent

No mention of it being based on anything other than the screenwriters imagination. As for The Cave, same deal, no mention of any 'based on'. Sorry, sounds like you really want a film version of that book. Smile

The two projects do sound very similar, would be interesting to compare the US versus UK way of taking the same premise and running with it.

Dave
mr mikey   07-11-2005, 04:17 PM
lovestigger68 Wrote:Oh My God! I didn't think anyone else made this connection but myself and my husband. I don't know anyone who has read The Decent by Jeff Long. How exciting. I haven't seen the previews but was wondering if they may be the same story. Does it look like it? I have made recommendations about Jeff Long to others. I LOVED the Descent. What a rich, engaging story.

Rose
I've read the book by Jeff Long as well, and it was the first thing I thought about when I read the thread. The reviews are kinda vague so I'll be interested to see if it has anything to do with the book.
Judging from how they kept refering to "creatures" who lived in the caves, it seems that it may have some tentative connections to the authors original premise.
lovestigger68   07-11-2005, 05:30 PM
Well, I went out and found the previews for the Cave. It doesn't look at all like the Descent. It was a coincidence that I just got done reading that book a couple of months ago and then saw the ad for the Cave. The book is probably too much story to be put on film anyway. Looking forward to reading more Jeff Long. But still plowing away thru my FPW books. Rose

mr mikey Wrote:I've read the book by Jeff Long as well, and it was the first thing I thought about when I read the thread. The reviews are kinda vague so I'll be interested to see if it has anything to do with the book.
Judging from how they kept refering to "creatures" who lived in the caves, it seems that it may have some tentative connections to the authors original premise.

Rose Murphy
Pages (4): 1 2 3 4