Pages (2): 1 2   
Maggers   07-05-2005, 05:42 PM
I just watched "Primer," a unique, low budget indy film about 4 young scientist types who work together in a garage at night to create what seems to be computer stuff. Then 2 of them break off to work together and create...god knows what.

I wanted to like this movie. I was intrigued by it, but so confused as to who was who and what sort of time travel were they involved in and what they hell had they DONE, anyway.

At any rate, despite confusion so massive that I'm not even sure what I saw in terms of story, I would recommend this film to any fledgling filmmakers. It's got a well constructed look and just 'cuz I didn't follow it doesn't mean it's not good.

On the other hand, ordinarily I'm no slouch when it comes to figuring out plots, twists, and general themes. So maybe it's not such a good thing that I've no idea what I saw.

This has got to be one of the more confusing posts I've ever written. Testament to the film....

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Sam   07-05-2005, 08:27 PM
I felt the same way about this flick. Very interesting but too confusing to really enjoy. Have to watch it a few times and take notes or something.

"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K
Marc   07-05-2005, 09:35 PM
Sam Wrote:I felt the same way about this flick. Very interesting but too confusing to really enjoy. Have to watch it a few times and take notes or something.

That's what I discovered about this movie. The first time through is a bit confusing but I knew I missed something so I watched it again. Picked up a few new things the second and third times through.
Maggers   07-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Marc B. Wrote:That's what I discovered about this movie. The first time through is a bit confusing but I knew I missed something so I watched it again. Picked up a few new things the second and third times through.

Marc and Sam, it's worth watching again? and it makes more sense? Did you ever actually get the whole thing?

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Sam   07-06-2005, 04:52 PM
I haven't had the time or patience lately to watch Primer again (or any other film for that matter). I know that I will some day just to be able to fully appreciate it. I've found myself liking a movie after watching it a second time (pure boredom, obviously) even though I didn't like it upon first viewing. Such as: 15 Minutes, Waterworld, or Clay Pigeons. I think the best part about the "Special Features" on DVD's are the commentaries - learning about all those little details that slipped by unnoticed. It can change my opinion of a film, or at least the director.

"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K
Marc   07-06-2005, 04:58 PM
Maggers Wrote:Marc and Sam, it's worth watching again? and it makes more sense? Did you ever actually get the whole thing?

I think it's worth another viewing. But get the whole thing? Not yet, though more becomes clear definitely.

A perfect example is Closer which I just watched for the second time last night. Picked up a lot of subtle things missed the first time. I'll be posting a review soon if you're interested.
jimbow8   07-06-2005, 05:10 PM
I seem to remember a movie that came out within the past year or so in which the science was pure rubbish. I am not certain if this was the one; I can't find the articles.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Maggers   07-06-2005, 05:49 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:I seem to remember a movie that came out within the past year or so in which the science was pure rubbish. I am not certain if this was the one; I can't find the articles.

The science in PRIMER was pretty damn vague, though they did draw a lot of spiffy diagrams, and you never really knew what they wanted to achieve. So the science being rubbish would be a moot point, IMO.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Sam   07-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Now I'm going to have to watch this flick again tonight. I know nothing of the science behind time travel so I can't analyze their discovery - but I don't recall the use of a flux capacitor, so I'm sure it's all crap. Big Grin It's the who's-who and who's-doing-what-and-when that I want to figure out. I think it's got something to do with knowing what is happening in the ongoing time of the present as you travel back and then forward and not messing up your own life and mind in the process. Leave the box too early and run the risk of changing the future that you just altered and possibly creating 2 of you in the same time frame and offsetting the continuum. What the hell did I just say? :confused: So confusing. I love it!!

Maggers   07-06-2005, 08:18 PM
Sam Wrote:Now I'm going to have to watch this flick again tonight. I know nothing of the science behind time travel so I can't analyze their discovery - but I don't recall the use of a flux capacitor, so I'm sure it's all crap. Big Grin It's the who's-who and who's-doing-what-and-when that I want to figure out. I think it's got something to do with knowing what is happening in the ongoing time of the present as you travel back and then forward and not messing up your own life and mind in the process. Leave the box too early and run the risk of changing the future that you just altered and possibly creating 2 of you in the same time frame and offsetting the continuum. What the hell did I just say? :confused: So confusing. I love it!!

Sam, I am mightily impressed. You saw this movie how long ago? Got to be at least a few months, and you still retain that much detail about a film that was soooooooo confusing as to be nearly, not quite, but nearly impossible to follow. I saw it yesterday and still have a zillion questions.

I think you summed it up very well. Cool

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Pages (2): 1 2