Pages (2): 1 2   
fpw   06-29-2005, 08:17 AM
Despite its PC, DNC-approved storyline, my finger stayed off the FF botton. But then, just about anything with Gary Oldman will capture me.

FF Rating: 0

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
jimbow8   06-29-2005, 09:22 AM
The Contender with Jeff Bridges and Joan Allen? I thought that was a pretty decent movie. Gary Oldman was EXCEPTIONAL. He deserved at least an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor for that role. I also liked Joan Allen's revelation at the end - kinda cheesily idealistic, but appropriate for the movie.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Scott Hajek   06-29-2005, 11:09 AM
fpw Wrote:But then, just about anything with Gary Oldman will capture me.

Including "Bram Stoker's Dracula" and "The Fifth Element"? It was because of these movies that my dislike of Gary Oldman began, but he has redeemed himself. He is acting more now than screaming.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
Kenji   06-29-2005, 11:23 AM
Scott Hajek Wrote:Including "Bram Stoker's Dracula" and "The Fifth Element"? It was because of these movies that my dislike of Gary Oldman began, but he has redeemed himself. He is acting more now than screaming.

But his bad cop role in "Leon" was good. Now he is in Batman Begins, he is really good actor.
jimbow8   06-29-2005, 11:24 AM
Scott Hajek Wrote:Including "Bram Stoker's Dracula" and "The Fifth Element"? It was because of these movies that my dislike of Gary Oldman began, but he has redeemed himself. He is acting more now than screaming.
Oldman was one of the few good things about The Fifth Element. He has a knack of playing that over-the-top character well, IMO. Check out his roles in Leon: The Professional, Air Force One, and True Romance (whole movie is over the top Big Grin ). Also check out Immortal Beloved.

I also thought he was good in Dracula, but don't get me started on my love/hate of that movie. Wink
This post was last modified: 06-29-2005, 11:28 AM by jimbow8.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
Scott Hajek   06-29-2005, 01:52 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Oldman was one of the few good things about The Fifth Element. He has a knack of playing that over-the-top character well, IMO. Check out his roles in Leon: The Professional, Air Force One, and True Romance (whole movie is over the top Big Grin ). Also check out Immortal Beloved.

I also thought he was good in Dracula, but don't get me started on my love/hate of that movie. Wink

He may have a knack for over-the-top, but I wouldn't give "The Fifth Element" credit for having more than one good thing. And, to his credit, his over-the-top performance in Air Force One was of benefit to Harrison Ford so you wouldn't notice that he isn't that good of an actor.

I will check out the other movies you (and Kenji) recommended, but I have to get you started on your "love/hate" of "Bram Stoker's Dracula" (must get the name right). For me, it was just a "HATE/HATE" view of the movie.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
fpw   06-29-2005, 02:29 PM
Scott Hajek Wrote:I will check out the other movies you (and Kenji) recommended.

See Leon the Professional first. I don't buy many DVDs, but this one is a keeper.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Keith the Elder   06-29-2005, 02:32 PM
And Romeo is Bleeding

"Think for yourself and question authority" Leary

By the way, How are things in your town?
jimbow8   06-29-2005, 03:48 PM
fpw Wrote:See Leon the Professional first. I don't buy many DVDs, but this one is a keeper.
GREAT MOVIE! I went to great lengths to find and buy the international version of Leon (the US version was simply The Professional) only to find out less than a week later that a Special Edition of Leon was released on DVD. Pissed me off somethin' fierce! I'm not totally sure of the differences between the versions other than added exposition of the relationship between Jean Reno's and Natalie Portman's characters.

Scott Hajek Wrote:He may have a knack for over-the-top, but I wouldn't give "The Fifth Element" credit for having more than one good thing. And, to his credit, his over-the-top performance in Air Force One was of benefit to Harrison Ford so you wouldn't notice that he isn't that good of an actor.
Ouch! Dissin' on the Ford-ster?!!? Not cool. :p

Scott Hajek Wrote:I will check out the other movies you (and Kenji) recommended, but I have to get you started on your "love/hate" of "Bram Stoker's Dracula" (must get the name right). For me, it was just a "HATE/HATE" view of the movie.

I'll start a new thread for this:

http://www.repairmanjack.com/forum/showt...php?t=3823
This post was last modified: 06-29-2005, 04:11 PM by jimbow8.

Kenji   06-29-2005, 05:37 PM
Keith the Elder Wrote:And Romeo is Bleeding

Romeo is Bleeding! Yeah, Lena Olin was cool and scary.

Japanese title was "Kumo Onna(Spider woman)".
Pages (2): 1 2