Maggers   06-21-2005, 03:06 PM
I have a friend at work who was very large with child, and I gave her a copy of "The Barrens and Others" as a pregnancy gift. I like giving to the mother; I figure everyone else will give gifts for the child.

At any rate, she had a long labor, 17 hours, which resulted in a C-section. Mom and very big baby boy are doing well.

Mom said that while she was...well...laboring, she read snatches of "The Barrens." She loved it and found it a wonderful distraction. She is now reading "The Barrens" while breast feeding. She's still loving it but wonders if all the shivers she experiences while reading are having an effect on the child. Wink Either way, she's not stopping.

She is now an FPW convert. She loves the clarity of Paul's writing and the smooth flowing narrative, not to mention the thrills and chills. She's hot to trot for the next book. Short stories are best for her at this time.

Other than "The Barrens," I don't think any of FPW's short stories are in print now, are they? Any suggestions?

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Scott Hajek   06-21-2005, 03:34 PM
That has to be one of the most interesting and unusual thread titles to date.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
jpwynn   06-21-2005, 03:48 PM
There is another short story compilation - Soft and Others. I find it's a little harder to locate, but definitely worth the search.

There's also "The Little Beige Book of Nondescript Stories". It's only about 80 or so pages if my memory serves and was available through Borderlands Press.
jimbow8   06-21-2005, 03:57 PM
jpwynn Wrote:There is another short story compilation - Soft and Others. I find it's a little harder to locate, but definitely worth the search.

There's also "The Little Beige Book of Nondescript Stories". It's only about 80 or so pages if my memory serves and was available through Borderlands Press.
Soft and Others is EXCEPTIONAL! I'm pretty sure you can get a used copy on amazon.com. I seem to think Paul mentioned this being republished, but I'm not sure.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Mr_Falcon   06-21-2005, 04:14 PM
I have a copy of the little biege book, and it was a fun book with good stories. Consider getting a copy of that, Maggers.
Paul R   06-21-2005, 05:31 PM
Now Maggers, you're not about to go and buy a THIRD copy of Little Beige Book are you...?!!!! :p
Biggles   06-21-2005, 06:44 PM
Maggers Wrote:I have a friend at work who was very large with child, and I gave her a copy of "The Barrens and Others" as a pregnancy gift. I like giving to the mother; I figure everyone else will give gifts for the child.

At any rate, she had a long labor, 17 hours, which resulted in a C-section. Mom and very big baby boy are doing well.

Mom said that while she was...well...laboring, she read snatches of "The Barrens." She loved it and found it a wonderful distraction. She is now reading "The Barrens" while breast feeding. She's still loving it but wonders if all the shivers she experiences while reading are having an effect on the child. Wink Either way, she's not stopping.

She is now an FPW convert. She loves the clarity of Paul's writing and the smooth flowing narrative, not to mention the thrills and chills. She's hot to trot for the next book. Short stories are best for her at this time.

Other than "The Barrens," I don't think any of FPW's short stories are in print now, are they? Any suggestions?

It will be interesting to see whether the baby will be an FPW fan by osmosis!

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Maggers   06-21-2005, 06:44 PM
Paul R Wrote:Now Maggers, you're not about to go and buy a THIRD copy of Little Beige Book are you...?!!!! :p

ROFL! Paul, you read my mind. I still have my 2 copies of "Little Beige Book," one signed generically by Paul and the other inscribed to me. I am probably going to give the generically signed one to a friend or her son, if either one becomes a rabid FPW fan, which may happen soon. My friend is 3/4 of the way through "The Tomb" and can't believe that she waited so long to read it, given how often I mention FPW's books. She is loving it, natch.

I am not willing to give up my hard cover of "Soft and Others," even to lend, because they are sort of hard to come by. I will try to see what I can find on ebay or amazon.

And yes, Scott, I thought it was a catchy title for the thread, too! Big Grin

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Biggles   06-21-2005, 06:46 PM
Scott Hajek Wrote:That has to be one of the most interesting and unusual thread titles to date.

Smile Yeah, it caught my attention right away too. I was way too old for breast feeding by the time I started reading FPW. Although.......

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"