Pages (3):    1 2 3   
Lisa   06-07-2005, 08:40 PM
Here's how I feel about signed anything (not just books): If I wasn't there when it was signed and/or if it's not inscribed to me, the signature doesn't hold any value to me. I have never bought anything BECAUSE it's autographed. However, I have bought a few things that were signed (mainly the Borderlands AC cycle) because I liked the editions and/or needed new ones.

Plus, it makes me all happy inside to imagine that FPW comes upon Limited Edition #5 and says to himself, "Ah, Lisa, how I miss you so! If only we were next door neighbors so we could have tea in the afternoons, watch bad horror movies together, and eat Mary's delicious home cooking. Alas! You are not to be found in Wall, New Jersey."

Lisa
law dawg   06-07-2005, 09:28 PM
Lisa Wrote:Here's how I feel about signed anything (not just books): If I wasn't there when it was signed and/or if it's not inscribed to me, the signature doesn't hold any value to me. I have never bought anything BECAUSE it's autographed. However, I have bought a few things that were signed (mainly the Borderlands AC cycle) because I liked the editions and/or needed new ones.

Plus, it makes me all happy inside to imagine that FPW comes upon Limited Edition #5 and says to himself, "Ah, Lisa, how I miss you so! If only we were next door neighbors so we could have tea in the afternoons, watch bad horror movies together, and eat Mary's delicious home cooking. Alas! You are not to be found in Wall, New Jersey."

Lisa
I understand this perfectly. I have several books that friends of mine have written that they have autographed particularly to me. But I also have a FPW RJ book generically autographed that I picked up in Newark airport. I didn't have that particular book and thought, since I needed it anyway, might as well get an autographed on as opposed to a regular edition.
Biggles   06-08-2005, 12:22 AM
KRW Wrote:You have an extra "The Keep"? Hum, we should talk. I loaned my last copy and I doubht it will ever return. Sad

KRW

PM me if you want pictures.

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
stacyzinda123   06-08-2005, 10:50 AM
Biggles Wrote:I think it would be great if members of this board could just indicate what books they "need" and we could do private sales that way. In a way it would be like private adoptions. I can't imagine letting my extra copy of The Keep, or WWW, for example, be adopted by just any mope who can win on eBay.
I think it's a great idea to have a selling/trading section of the board. I've heard the idea tossed around before, but it hasn't taken off. So, speaking of selling/trading. I have an extra mass market hardcover of All The Rage and have a hole where a hardcover of Legacies should go. If anyone has an extra HC copy of Legacies to trade for or sell me, that would be awesome. I have extras of some other books too mostly paperbacks, but I'm pretty sure I have an extra HC of Sims too, if anyone's interestered. However, those are packed because we're moving and probably won't be unpacked until around the 17.
CANADIANRJFAN   06-08-2005, 09:44 PM
fpw Wrote:This isn't a fan. It's a bookseller cashing in on all the freebies at BEA. They operate on a shoestring and if this helps put food on the table, well, okay -- except in this case. Because of guys like this we ran out of copies at the signing and some genuine RJ fans came away ermpty handed.

It means alot though (for the real RJ fans) being able to mail to you our copies & having them signed. I really thought some of the forum members were pulling my chain about this.
jimbow8   06-08-2005, 10:02 PM
CANADIANRJFAN Wrote:It means alot though (for the real RJ fans) being able to mail to you our copies & having them signed. I really thought some of the forum members were pulling my chain about this.
Get your butt over to Madison, WI in November and have him sign the book(s) himself. You won't regret it.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
stacyzinda123   06-09-2005, 10:01 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:Get your butt over to Madison, WI in November and have him sign the book(s) himself. You won't regret it.
Yes!! Everybody come to Madison! I plan to be ready with a few things to be signed and can't wait to meet some of the people from the board Big Grin .
Lisa   06-09-2005, 10:15 AM
CANADIANRJFAN Wrote:It means alot though (for the real RJ fans) being able to mail to you our copies & having them signed. I really thought some of the forum members were pulling my chain about this.

Nope, he really does that. Honest! FPW is very gracious (he's gotta be, if he meets up with us every year!).

BTW, I just saw your new signature and almost fell off my chair laughing. Big Grin That's wicked funny.

Lisa
Marc   06-09-2005, 10:26 AM
CANADIANRJFAN Wrote:I really thought some of the forum members were pulling my chain about this.

We would never do that! Rolleyes
Maggers   06-09-2005, 02:01 PM

CanadianRJFan,

LOVE LOVE LOVE your new signature! As Ken V. would say, I nearly splorked my coffee all over my keyboard.

Do try to get to Madison and meet FPW. He is the nicest guy. And as a newbie, you'll get to sit next to him. Though I think there are going to be a lot of newbies at Madision. Newbie = a board member who is at a GU for the first time.

I was a newbie at GU 4 and it was such a treat to sit next to The Man and talk to him throughout dinner. Of course, I thought it was a treat. I can't say how he felt about talking to me all through dinner! Big Grin

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Pages (3):    1 2 3