Weatherford   04-24-2005, 05:59 AM
I bought the DVD of A Wrinkle in Time - the movie (according to the copyright) was only made last year and obviously didn't get to the theatres (Disney!). It is actually pretty good and relatively true to the book. (OK, some of the dialogue has been updated, and they have computers, and the kids don't have glasses as in the book, and Meg isn't tall with braces and glasses, but....) Problem with it is the obviously low budget. In this day and age of hi-tech visual graphics, these are pretty low tech - interesting ideas behind the tech, but marginal execution.

The worst part, however, was their introduction of "Aunt Beast" - who has always been my favorite character in the book. She is blind - but that isn't mentioned (although, if you know the story, you will notice she has no eyes) and furry (that, they did! I think they used Chubacca's old costume, actually. Rolleyes ) BUT the worst part is they gave her cooing sounds that sounded like those bloody TRIBBLES from ST! Rolleyes I mean, I enjoy the ST tribbles, but Aunt Beast is another character/dimension entirely. Very annoying! :mad:

For those of you horror fans, this is definitely a G movie and definitely a kids' movie. I think it is worth the time to see, however, but then again, the book is on my list of all-time greats! Wink The score is OK - though a tad John Williams-wanna-be and not memorable.

By the way, Madeleine L'Engle took the manuscript to 40 or 60 publishers and was rejected by all (too adult for kids, too kid-like for adults, too strange a story, etc etc!). Only her last publisher accepted it - and it went on to win the Newberry Medal.

Has anyone seen the new French film called "The Chorus"? (to change the subject.) The soundtrack is wonderful.
Medusa   04-25-2005, 06:18 PM
My son is doing a book report for school right now on A Wrinkle in Time.
shoggoth666   05-10-2005, 10:33 PM
thanks for the heads up i didn't even know that was made into a film,i'm gonna check it out

"you buncha freaks i hope ya have fun"