Maggers   04-24-2005, 09:45 PM
I just saw "Winter Solstice" starring Anthony LaPaglia. It's the sort of movie I really like but seldom see because they rarely get made. It's a very real, understated slice of life drama about a family of 3 men who have difficulty speaking what's in their hearts. I liked it very much. The acting was terrific, right on the money. Little background is given; you follow the father and his two sons through their every day routines and watch as they come to grips with every day issues. There is nothing splashy or trendy about this little movie. Just a real story about real people acted by a troupe of folks who know what they're doing. "Winter Solstice" is Josh Sternfeld's debut, and as writer and director he puts together a warm, true and moving movie. I hope he does more.

Anthony LaPaglia was great, as always. His younger son is played by Marc Weber, and I expect to see a lot more of him in the years to come.

As good as this little movie is, I think you can wait to watch it on DVD. It's currently in limited release. But do watch it if you like quietly thoughtful films.
This post was last modified: 04-25-2005, 12:17 AM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd