Maggers   02-10-2005, 09:56 PM
I think it's the final scene in "Mighty Joe Young" where the big ape has sacrificed himself to save .... someone (probably the girl, can't remember) and we see his big finger jutting from the sea, wrapped in a ragged bandage, waving its final goodbye. Oh do I cry!

I love the Halloween scene from "Meet Me in St. Louis" with the wonderful little Margaret O'Brien.

And is it in "Key Largo" that Bacall teaches Bogie how to whistle?

Edited to add: Oops. Checked with my screenwriter friend. That whistle quote is from "To Have and Have Not" (1944).
This post was last modified: 02-11-2005, 09:53 AM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Biggles   02-11-2005, 12:54 AM
Maggers Wrote:And is it in "Key Largo" that Bacall teaches Bogie how to whistle?

I think it's "To Have and Have Not", or maybe "The Big Sleep". I've seen both and can't recall which.

So many of my favorite '40s scenes were in Bogie movies. What was it that Sidney Greenstreet said in The Maltese Falcon? "I love to talk to a man who loves to talk" or something. I remember it was funny. And in the same movie Bogie said something about women and "A smack in the mouth or a slug from a .45". In Casablanca Louis Renault (Claude Rains) tells Rick "You shouldn't throw away beautiful women like that; some day they might be scarce".

My favorite '40s actors were Bogie, Tyrone Powers, Errol Flynn, Claude Rains, Basil Rathbone. My favorite movies were anything with Bogie, swashbucklers, "Beau Geste", The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes series.

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"