Pages (3): 1 2 3   
Margery Lurkens   02-03-2005, 03:35 PM
Just finished Crisscross. Excellent, like all the other RJ novels. After reading about the butterfly bandages (admittedly not on Jack) I was thinking he (Jack) really ought to carry around a little tube of super glue for those cuts he is bound to get. The stuff works great, stops the bleeding and opposes the edges of the wound.
KRW   02-03-2005, 09:09 PM
Margery Lurkens Wrote:Just finished Crisscross. Excellent, like all the other RJ novels. After reading about the butterfly bandages (admittedly not on Jack) I was thinking he (Jack) really ought to carry around a little tube of super glue for those cuts he is bound to get. The stuff works great, stops the bleeding and opposes the edges of the wound.

I have used superglue at work several times, it works great! I probably needed stitches one time, but I healed up just fine. It was invented for this reason. I don't think Jack needs to carry it on his person, but to read about him useing it to fix a cut would be cool. He needs it in his medicene cabinet, with lots of gauze and tape and anti-bacterial ointment. Maybe a bottle of peroxide.

KRW
Ken Valentine   02-04-2005, 08:52 PM
KRW Wrote:I have used superglue at work several times, it works great! I probably needed stitches one time, but I healed up just fine. It was invented for this reason. I don't think Jack needs to carry it on his person, but to read about him useing it to fix a cut would be cool. He needs it in his medicene cabinet, with lots of gauze and tape and anti-bacterial ointment. Maybe a bottle of peroxide.

Ye stole my thunder Ken. Super glue was invented for precisely that reason -- a human tissue glue to replace stitches. Eastman 910 was the leader in the field when the FDA banned it for for a pretty idiotic reason. It was used in aerosol form by medics in Vietnam for years.

Ken V.
Medusa   02-04-2005, 09:07 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:Ye stole my thunder Ken. Super glue was invented for precisely that reason -- a human tissue glue to replace stitches. Eastman 910 was the leader in the field when the FDA banned it for for a pretty idiotic reason. It was used in aerosol form by medics in Vietnam for years.

Ken V.
I wish we had cans of "cover skin" like in I ROBOT. That would be handy!
KRW   02-04-2005, 09:37 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:Ye stole my thunder Ken. Super glue was invented for precisely that reason -- a human tissue glue to replace stitches. Eastman 910 was the leader in the field when the FDA banned it for for a pretty idiotic reason. It was used in aerosol form by medics in Vietnam for years.

Ken V.

Sorry about steeling your thunder Thor, my enthusiasm got the better of me! Big Grin
Question; what was the idiotic reason it was banned? The stuff works great! I've used it in the field, and you said it was used in the field in Vietnam. I'm just curious. If the cut can be held together, this will bind it till it heals. Plus it takes the pain away, (I imagine because the air can't get to it) and it holds so well, a person can go back to work in minutes. And after a few days, it comes off on it's own. I've slit my palm open more than once, used bandaids and superglue, I recommend superglue over bandaids.

KRW
KRW   02-04-2005, 09:39 PM
Medusa Wrote:I wish we had cans of "cover skin" like in I ROBOT. That would be handy!

Wouldn't that be cool for RJ? No more funny looking fake beards! He could be anybody he wanted to be working, and be his self on his own time without worry of recognition.

KRW
Paige   02-06-2005, 03:53 PM
KRW Wrote:Wouldn't that be cool for RJ? No more funny looking fake beards! He could be anybody he wanted to be working, and be his self on his own time without worry of recognition.

KRW

Just curious, but wouldn't it cause problems if it gets into the bloodstream? I was under impression that everyday chemicals in blood is not good.

"Life — and I don't suppose I'm the first to make this comparison — is a disease: sexually transmitted, and invariably fatal."
Death Talks About Life Neil Gaiman
Ken Valentine   02-06-2005, 09:47 PM
KRW Wrote:Sorry about steeling your thunder Thor, my enthusiasm got the better of me! Big Grin
Question; what was the idiotic reason it was banned? The stuff works great! I've used it in the field, and you said it was used in the field in Vietnam. I'm just curious. If the cut can be held together, this will bind it till it heals. Plus it takes the pain away, (I imagine because the air can't get to it) and it holds so well, a person can go back to work in minutes. And after a few days, it comes off on it's own. I've slit my palm open more than once, used bandaids and superglue, I recommend superglue over bandaids.

I gather it's just banned in the U.S.. Seems that the FDA did an experiment; they put a small ball of hardened super glue under the skin of lab rats and there was some kind of reaction to it. Funny thing; they put a small ball of pure glass under the skin of the control rats and they developed the same problem. I think it was some kind of scar tissue, but that didn't bother the FDA, they banned it anyway.

In Vietnam, Cyanoacrylate -- the active substance in superglue -- was used in aerosol form. It was sprayed on burns, severe open wounds, blown off limbs,etc., and it immediately stopped bleeding, stopped fluid loss in burns, and the protective shield prevented infection.

I remember this from an article in REASON Magazine from the late '70's. I wonder if it might be in their archives on the web. I still have the magazine . . . somewhere.

I know dentists in Canada use it almost exclusively . . . works much better than stitching up gums after oral surgery.

Ken V.
Ken Valentine   02-06-2005, 09:50 PM
Paige Wrote:Just curious, but wouldn't it cause problems if it gets into the bloodstream? I was under impression that everyday chemicals in blood is not good.

Are you talking about superglue? If so, it's a very small amount, and it gets into the system very slowly, and passes out of the system fairly quickly. Not a problem.

Ken V.
Paige   02-06-2005, 10:46 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:Are you talking about superglue? If so, it's a very small amount, and it gets into the system very slowly, and passes out of the system fairly quickly. Not a problem.

Ken V.

poor little mice. can't help but remember that short story by PFW (at least i hope it's him).

"Life — and I don't suppose I'm the first to make this comparison — is a disease: sexually transmitted, and invariably fatal."
Death Talks About Life Neil Gaiman
Pages (3): 1 2 3