Scott Miller   01-26-2005, 02:23 PM
It is always exciting to discover a FPW story I haven't read, so yesterday was thrilling as I found A Long Way Home in the Dark At Heart anthology. Of course I read it immediately and dug it. RJ at his most brutal. Carruthers has the potential to become an interesting character-has he shown up elsewhere?

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Biggles   01-26-2005, 02:37 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:It is always exciting to discover a FPW story I haven't read, so yesterday was thrilling as I found A Long Way Home in the Dark At Heart anthology. Of course I read it immediately and dug it. RJ at his most brutal. Carruthers has the potential to become an interesting character-has he shown up elsewhere?

Not that I know of.

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Maggers   01-26-2005, 03:20 PM
I posted this previously on another thread, but since it's relevant, I'll copy it here. (Can't ever get too much of me, eh? How obnoxious! Big Grin )

Originally posted 1/7/05:

I just finished two terrific RJ shorts found in anthologies: "The Wringer" in NIGHT SCREAMS, and "The Long Way Home" in DARK AT HEART. Very interesting stories, very interesting.

"The Wringer" is one of the grizzliest RJ "mundane" fix-its that I've seen, and dark!

I will repeat until I am dead that I do not consider anything that RJ does to be mundane. I know that compared to his work with the Otherness, his fix-its for mere mortals look mundane. But, boy oh boy, they surely are not.

And the second, "The Long Way Home," was fascinating, puts RJ in a place I never expected to find him.

That's all you're gonna get outta me. Great stuff!

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Sam   01-26-2005, 04:29 PM
Don't forget A Day in the Life in Stalkers.

There was a story in that book by John Coyne called Flight that really stuck in my head mainly due to the last few pages. Very disturbing visual.

"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K
Scott Miller   01-26-2005, 04:45 PM
Biggles Wrote:Not that I know of.

Me neither, but what I can't remember could fill a black hole.

BTW, Biggles. I just checked out something you might find of interest-it's called Sonovawitch! and Other Tales of Supernatural Law by Batton Lash. It collects the comics of Wolff & Byrd who find themselves representing some rather ghoulish clients. The first couple I read were quite funny; I have a feeling that Lash and you share a similar brand of humor.

Also, the introduction mentions another humorous legal fiction called Misleading Cases by A. P. Herbert that I am now attempting to track down.

Scott

Biggles   01-26-2005, 05:20 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:Me neither, but what I can't remember could fill a black hole.

BTW, Biggles. I just checked out something you might find of interest-it's called Sonovawitch! and Other Tales of Supernatural Law by Batton Lash. It collects the comics of Wolff & Byrd who find themselves representing some rather ghoulish clients. The first couple I read were quite funny; I have a feeling that Lash and you share a similar brand of humor.

Also, the introduction mentions another humorous legal fiction called Misleading Cases by A. P. Herbert that I am now attempting to track down.

I'm not familiar with either of those, but then I generally avoid legal fiction both in print and on screen. Supernatural or humorous fiction might interest me though.

Scott Miller   01-26-2005, 05:55 PM
Biggles Wrote:I'm not familiar with either of those, but then I generally avoid legal fiction both in print and on screen. Supernatural or humorous fiction might interest me though.

I can imagine that you might become sick of matters legal, but I assure that
Sonovawitch would be considered 'light' reading.

Scott

Biggles   01-26-2005, 06:13 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:I can imagine that you might become sick of matters legal, but I assure that
Sonovawitch would be considered 'light' reading.

Your observation is correct. Between teaching law and practicing it, I prefer my distractions in other fields.