Pages (2): 1 2   
Maggers   01-08-2005, 02:33 AM
I just saw the first hour of "Firefly," which I rented from Netflix. I think this disc has 180 minutes, so I've got two hours left.

I am really liking it. The acting is just fine, Jim. Except for the young girl who was shot in the stomach (still haven't figured out everyone's names yet), everyone is just dandy. However, the gut shot girl is fetching in her sweetly girlish way and has a dazzling smile, so her so-so acting can be overlooked.

I've been a fan of Adam Baldwin ever since I saw him in "My Bodyguard" in 1980. Sweet movie, if you've never seen it, with Matt Dillion and Ruth Gordon.

It's also nice to see Ron Glass back in action. I know he's been doing things since "Barney Miller," but I haven't seen much of him.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

jimbow8   01-08-2005, 02:46 AM
Maggers Wrote:I just saw the first hour of "Firefly," which I rented from Netflix. I think this disc has 180 minutes, so I've got two hours left.

I am really liking it. The acting is just fine, Jim. Except for the young girl who was shot in the stomach (still haven't figured out everyone's names yet), everyone is just dandy. However, the gut shot girl is fetching in her sweetly girlish way and has a dazzling smile, so her so-so acting can be overlooked.

I've been a fan of Adam Baldwin ever since I saw him in "My Bodyguard" in 1980. Sweet movie, if you've never seen it, with Matt Dillion and Ruth Gordon.

It's also nice to see Ron Glass back in action. I know he's been doing things since "Barney Miller," but I haven't seen much of him.
I never said the acting was bad, and I even noted that the show got better as it went. I think Adam Baldwin (no relation to the other Baldwins) is the best character on the show. I still haven't figured out what is up with the preacher.

P.S. I miss Barney Miller!!!! Sad

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Maggers   01-08-2005, 03:00 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:I never said the acting was bad...

And I never said you said the acting was bad. However you did say

jimbow8 Wrote:You can tell it is acting...

Which, to me, means you are not a fan of the acting. And yes, you do say the show improves.

I am enjoying it right out of the box, I'm happy to say.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Ken Valentine   01-09-2005, 07:50 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:I never said the acting was bad, and I even noted that the show got better as it went. I think Adam Baldwin (no relation to the other Baldwins) is the best character on the show. I still haven't figured out what is up with the preacher.

NOBODY has figured out what's up with the preacher.

That's part of what makes it so intriguing. Shepherd Book's past, how does he know all those things he knows, he didn't learn them in any Monastery; Kaylee's mechanical genius; the mysterious Inara, why did she leave House Medrassa; what the Alliance did to River -- and why; Jayne's treachery, you bring these things out slowly to keep the viewers interest. Tell it all at once, and there's nothing left to tell.

FPW does this beautifully in his stories. That's one of the reasons we keep coming back for more. Isn't it.

Ken V.
Ken Valentine   01-09-2005, 08:23 AM
Maggers Wrote:I am enjoying it right out of the box, I'm happy to say.

Glad to hear it! In my view, it starts out great, and gets greater, greaterer, and more greaterer yet.

Some of the lines are s-o-o-o funny . . . and pithy!

From Serenity -- episode one:
Mal: "I don't want you to hurt him . . . just scare him a little."
Jayne: "Pain is scary."

From Bushwhacked -- episode three:
Alliance interrogator: "And you fought with Captain Reynolds in the war?"
Zoe: "Fought with a lot of people in the war . . . "
Alliance interrogator: "And your husband?"
Zoe: "Fight with him sometimes too."

Mal to interrogator: "May have been the losing side . . . still not convinced it was the wrong one."

I thought Christine Hendricks did a very good bit of acting in her guest roles in the episodes, "Our Mrs. Reynolds," and "Trash" -- which you have yet to see.

For translations of the Chinese used in the series, see:

http://www.browncoats.com/main.php?paren...46fb171d22

Ken V.
Maggers   01-09-2005, 01:56 PM
I had no idea they were speaking Chinese! I just thought it was their native language from the far off future of a country I don't know. Cool!

How about this line, from Jayne explaining how the lone survivor of the derelict ship got him in "Bushwacked:"

"He looked bigger when I couldn't see him."

Ha! Loved that!

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Ken Valentine   01-09-2005, 02:08 PM
Maggers Wrote:I had no idea they were speaking Chinese! I just thought it was their native language from the far off future of a country I don't know. Cool!

How about this line, from Jayne explaining how the lone survivor of the derelict ship got him in "Bushwacked:"

"He looked bigger when I couldn't see him."

Ha! Loved that!

HI--LARIOUS!

There are s-o-o-o many . . . but I'm not gonna say any more about 'em 'til you get to see 'em first. Big Grin

Ken V.

Also got a kick out of Mal's "Hunh!" when he first saw River in that chamber.
Ken Valentine   01-09-2005, 02:21 PM
Maggers Wrote:I had no idea they were speaking Chinese! I just thought it was their native language from the far off future of a country I don't know. Cool!

That's kind of a neat site. You get to learn how to say, Panda urine, Babboons ass crack, and the explosive diarrhea of an elephant . . . in Chinese. Big Grin

Ken - always learn the dirty words first - V.
Maggers   01-09-2005, 02:28 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:http://www.browncoats.com/main.php?paren...46fb171d22

Ken V.

Ken, great website! Thanks! I've bookmarked it.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

jimbow8   01-09-2005, 02:59 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:Glad to hear it! In my view, it starts out great, and gets greater, greaterer, and more greaterer yet.

Some of the lines are s-o-o-o funny . . . and pithy!

From Serenity -- episode one:
Mal: "I don't want you to hurt him . . . just scare him a little."
Jayne: "Pain is scary."

From Bushwhacked -- episode three:
Alliance interrogator: "And you fought with Captain Reynolds in the war?"
Zoe: "Fought with a lot of people in the war . . . "
Alliance interrogator: "And your husband?"
Zoe: "Fight with him sometimes too."

Mal to interrogator: "May have been the losing side . . . still not convinced it was the wrong one."

I thought Christine Hendricks did a very good bit of acting in her guest roles in the episodes, "Our Mrs. Reynolds," and "Trash" -- which you have yet to see.

For translations of the Chinese used in the series, see:

http://www.browncoats.com/main.php?paren...46fb171d22

Ken V.
Our Mrs Reynolds was probably my favorite episode. Ya know, I just realized that I never got disc 4 and finished watching the series. I'll get on that. It must have escaped me during the holidays.

I think that they mentioned that they were speaking Chinese at some point in the series, which makes sense given the population.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Pages (2): 1 2