dejo   01-08-2005, 03:54 PM
This idea just came to me. Okay, this would be very un-Hollywood-like but what would you say if they marketed the Repairman Jack movies without identifying who is cast as Jack? No mention in the posters, no direct shots of his face in the trailers, no top billing in the opening titles of the film, silhouette and altered voice for the press interviews, etc. Like or dislike?
jimbow8   01-08-2005, 04:04 PM
dejo Wrote:This idea just came to me. Okay, this would be very un-Hollywood-like but what would you say if they marketed the Repairman Jack movies without identifying who is cast as Jack? No mention in the posters, no direct shots of his face in the trailers, no top billing in the opening titles of the film, silhouette and altered voice for the press interviews, etc. Like or dislike?
I kind of like it, but you are right, it would never fly in Hollywood. I had a similar idea way back when: a movie in which you never got a real look at RJ's face - always sideshots or back shots or distance shots, or even first person perspective. It would stress the anonymity of the character. Of course, that would never happen either. Hollywood would deny themselves a potential star, and the actor would not gain the notoriety of the role. Like or dislike? Wink

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
dejo   01-08-2005, 04:25 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:I kind of like it, but you are right, it would never fly in Hollywood. I had a similar idea way back when: a movie in which you never got a real look at RJ's face - always sideshots or back shots or distance shots, or even first person perspective. It would stress the anonymity of the character. Of course, that would never happen either. Hollywood would deny themselves a potential star, and the actor would not gain the notoriety of the role. Like or dislike? Wink

I figured someone would have thought of something like this before, although doing the entire movie this way would be quite "out there". You would need a producer or director with a lout of clout or a more independent production to pull something like that off. Even then, I wonder if it would be too distracting to the viewer. Maybe for a short film it would be okay but for a feature film, I think it would start to "get in the way".

If anybody knows of a film that already does this, please speak up!

As for marketing a film in this way, I think it could help generate some interesting hype. Similar to the concept of not revealing the bad guy in the marketing so as not the spoil the surprise. "Phone Booth" tried to do this until Keifer spoke. I knew right away then it was him. Anyways, at some point the veil would have to be lifted but it might be a fun ride up to that point. And definitely lend itself to the character.
Biggles   01-08-2005, 04:36 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:I kind of like it, but you are right, it would never fly in Hollywood. I had a similar idea way back when: a movie in which you never got a real look at RJ's face - always sideshots or back shots or distance shots, or even first person perspective. It would stress the anonymity of the character. Of course, that would never happen either. Hollywood would deny themselves a potential star, and the actor would not gain the notoriety of the role. Like or dislike? Wink

The guy who played Wilson on Home Improvement could do it.

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Maggers   01-08-2005, 06:47 PM
I, personally, wouldn't want to sit through a movie with a protagonist who is such a provocative, forceful, dynamic, essential, fierce, witty, urbane, thoughtful, vengeful, and utterly charismatic character and never see him.

No way. No way. No way.

I want my hero visible, tangible (as much as he can be on screen), and available so that I may bond with him.

Movies are a visual medium. I'd be unhappy to have an invisible leading man who is not actually playing the invisible man.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Ken Valentine   01-09-2005, 07:25 AM
dejo Wrote:If anybody knows of a film that already does this, please speak up!

Humphrey Bogart -- DARK PASSAGE -- 1947.

You don't see Bogart's face until the movie is nearly half over.

Ken V.