Bluesman Mike Lindner   12-28-2004, 12:02 PM
Bastard Wrote:For me, it's hard to put a finger on just one type of music so let's see what I can remember per book (in no particular order):

The Tomb: Stray Cats, Reverend Horton Heat, an a royal shitload of Type O Negative
Legacies: Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata and some Wagner
Conspiracies: Tool and A Perfect Circle
All the Rage: Nine Inch Nails, Rage Against the Machine, Rev. Horton Heat
Hosts: Marilyn Manson the Lest We Forget album
The Haunted Air: A little of everything above
Gateways: Some Jimmy Buffet, and a lot of older Aerosmith, Rev. Horton Heat, and White Zombie

That's all that I can think of at the moment.
--Jake
ps. All of that music and reading is accompanied by a case of Lone Star, a bottle of Vampire Merlot and some kickass greek food from Mina and Dini's. It reminds me of Julio's, only Greek. Big Grin

Jimmy Buffett for GATEWAYS! Yeah, that would be a good match, all right. I got into a Velvet Underground mood for CRISSCROSS and that worked almost =too=well...
Biggles   12-31-2004, 12:55 AM
dejo Wrote:I was just wondering, if you do have music in the background, what you readers of RJ are listening to (whilst reading an RJ novel, of course)?

When I read I typically don't have any music or TV playing in the background. When I post, on the other hand, I often have music playing on my computer. Right now, it's the "Excitable Boy" album (sorry, CD, guess I'm dating myself there) by warren Zevon. What a great album! I used "Lawyers, Guns and Money" as my intro theme when I was a DJ on the campus FM station back in law school.

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Barry Lee Dejasu   01-01-2005, 10:44 AM
dejo Wrote:I was just wondering, if you do have music in the background, what you readers of RJ are listening to (whilst reading an RJ novel, of course)?

I generally don't listen to music while reading, because I usually become far too engrossed in one to pay attention to the other. However, there are many songs which add well to the mood I get from Repairman Jack.

For instance, the creepier scenes in some of his experiences could fit well with several things by Midnight Syndicate, a goth/synth group. Some very creepy, spooky-vibe kind of music.

During some of Jack's fight scenes, I sense parallels to some of my heavier music (which is about 85% of my collection!). Strapping Young Lad and Machine Head are definates there.

Some of the more mystical moments in the books fit well with Tool, Dead Soul Tribe, and Pain of Salvation. Oh, and King Crimson.

I dunno. It all just depends on my mood at the time of reading and/or listening to music.

"...and your last thought is that you have become a noise...a thin, nameless noise among all these others...howling in the empty dark room"
--Ulver, "Nowhere/Catastrophe"
[Image: geomorfos.jpg]
Mick C.   01-01-2005, 11:53 AM
Biggles Wrote:When I read I typically don't have any music or TV playing in the background. When I post, on the other hand, I often have music playing on my computer. Right now, it's the "Excitable Boy" album (sorry, CD, guess I'm dating myself there) by warren Zevon. What a great album! I used "Lawyers, Guns and Money" as my intro theme when I was a DJ on the campus FM station back in law school.

Biggles! Another Zevon fan! I've listened to him since that album came out and bought every album he made. What a loss when he died.

"Flow with the Go."

- Rickson Gracie
dr_em2001   01-02-2005, 03:36 AM
Hm, well, I don't really listen to music while I read, as it is distracting, but at night in bed silence bothers me more, so I usually have background rain sounds on. I can't go to sleep without them anymore! (Unless it is actually raining of course)
Maggers   01-02-2005, 04:52 AM
dr_em2001 Wrote:Hm, well, I don't really listen to music while I read, as it is distracting, but at night in bed silence bothers me more, so I usually have background rain sounds on. I can't go to sleep without them anymore! (Unless it is actually raining of course)

Me, too! I read listening to a sound machine rather than music.

I have a great little machine with a crystal ball that glows with refracted pulsating rainbow lights and plays my choice of background sounds. My bedroom window is on the second floor and looks over First Avenue in Manhattan. There is a lot of ambient noise. I like basic white noise, like static; it covers the streets sounds (voices are especially disruptive) and lulls me to sleep.

Here's an odd aside. I work in a psychiatric hospital, and one long hallway is lined with private offices where the residents in training see patients for long term therapy. It's a State building, so the construction is not the greatest, and to be sure patients have the utmost privacy, each office has a little white noise machine outside the door. When I walk down that hall and hear that sweetly familiar sound, I have the strongest urge to drop right off to sleep! Big Grin
This post was last modified: 01-06-2005, 01:41 PM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

dr_em2001   01-06-2005, 12:06 PM
I know the feeling Maggers, now whenever we get rain, and here in Oregon we get plenty, I always want to start sleeping! Association...hmm...that would make a very interesting RJ book Big Grin .... Cool ... Smile ....Sad...or not, lol.
Dignan   01-06-2005, 10:40 PM
I'm not big on listening to music while reading, but on a few occasions I have read an RJ book with some music on in the background(usually on long trips), I find Radiohead works pretty well, particularly stuff from OK Computer. Hail to the Thief worked pretty well with Conspiracies, too.