Marc   12-07-2004, 03:40 PM
Over the weekend I saw Mike Nicholas new film, Closer. It's a hard movie to describe but I think Roger Ebert summed it up best: "Fascinated by the game of love, seduced by seduction itself, they play at sincere, truthful relationships which are lies in almost every respect, except their desire to sleep with each other."

A lot of articles are speculating that the four actors (Jude Law, Julia Roberts, Clive Owen and Natalie Portman) all have a good chance of getting Oscar nods this year. In my opinion, Natalie Portman is the most impressive of the cast and really shines in this film. She is the one you can really see struggling internally.

There are a lot of great funny moments in this film, but Closer is anything but a comedy. It's a dark tale of self loathing, self pity and self discovery. Two couples walked out when I saw it because, I presume, the unflinching dialogue is raw.

Although the film is dark, and none of the characters are particularily likeable, by the end you have witnessed their growth and have some hope that they will improve as people.

This is a film I highly recommend. But don't expect to come out feeling all warm inside.
jimbow8   12-07-2004, 03:57 PM
Check out Jeffrey Westhoff's (Northwest Herald) review of this movie. EEK!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/click/auth...ting&page=

Only thing I'm really interested in are the scenes that were cut. Big Grin Wink

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Marc   12-07-2004, 05:36 PM
Apparently he didn't like it. Well, I did. So who ya going to believe, Jimbo? Big Grin
Scott Hajek   12-07-2004, 05:52 PM
Marc B. Wrote:Apparently he didn't like it. Well, I did. So who ya going to believe, Jimbo? Big Grin

I'd believe Marc everytime over some stupid critic. I really wasn't interested in this movie because the commercials keep showing different sides of this movie. It has appeared to be a sad drama and a romantic comedy. The reviews I've read make it quite clear that it is neither of those choices.

I'll probably rent it, as it seems fine for the small screen, but if I get a date with my wife? Then, I'll see it in the theatre as it will mean an evening with no kids. Whoo hoo!!!

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
jimbow8   12-07-2004, 06:04 PM
Scott Hajek Wrote:I'd believe Marc everytime over some stupid critic. I really wasn't interested in this movie because the commercials keep showing different sides of this movie. It has appeared to be a sad drama and a romantic comedy. The reviews I've read make it quite clear that it is neither of those choices.

I'll probably rent it, as it seems fine for the small screen, but if I get a date with my wife? Then, I'll see it in the theatre as it will mean an evening with no kids. Whoo hoo!!!
The critic is actually a friend of mine, though we don't always agree on movies.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Scott Hajek   12-07-2004, 07:04 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:The critic is actually a friend of mine, though we don't always agree on movies.

Ooops. I was speaking in the general sense of "stupid critic." Ebert and Roeper come to mind in the stereotypical meaning of the phrase.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]