PicardRex   05-08-2013, 10:43 AM
No spoilers, just a brief review. I thought it was good in some ways and very disappointing in others. You can defintely tell Shane Black made the movie, if you've seen Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang you'll notice a similarity in dialogue. Actors were good, action was good and the story was good. My complaint is that it should have been called Iron Everyone but Stark, because there is very little screen time devoted to Iron Man and plenty to his associates. There is a twist, some like some don't, depends on how invested you are in the comics I think. Overall, it was a pretty good movie, just not up to the hype.
Tony H   05-08-2013, 10:50 AM
PicardRex Wrote:No spoilers, just a brief review. I thought it was good in some ways and very disappointing in others. You can defintely tell Shane Black made the movie, if you've seen Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang you'll notice a similarity in dialogue. Actors were good, action was good and the story was good. My complaint is that it should have been called Iron Everyone but Stark, because there is very little screen time devoted to Iron Man and plenty to his associates. There is a twist, some like some don't, depends on how invested you are in the comics I think. Overall, it was a pretty good movie, just not up to the hype.

I agree wholeheartedly. Iron Man 3 has some sharp writing and the dialogue is as sharp as ever. A lot of this has to do with the fact that the directors have always let Robert Downey, Jr improvise freely.

The problem with this film is that there did not seem to be enough story to properly fill the overly-long running time.

I waited years for the Mandarin to make his appearance. I was a bit miffed when I read that while he will wear 10 rings they will not be a source of magic, because they wanted the Iron Man franchise to remain in the realm of the real world. I was willing to accept a Mandarin who used rings developed as tech versus magic.

But what they ended up doing with the character was horrible. He started off so promising too!

The lack of Iron Man in the film was staggering too. Easily only 15-20 minutes are dedicated to Stark in the costume. Instead we get a few fleeting glimpses of Iron Patriot, and one time we see Pepper Potts in the costume..but aside from that...very little Iron Man.

The action is great though, and there are some intense thriller-like scenes, but ultimately the story is rather weak.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
PicardRex   05-08-2013, 11:00 AM
Personally, I didn't mind the twist, of course I'm not that invested in the character, but also because I actually really liked Kingsley's acting. I can see where that would bother fans though.

My thinking on the lack of Iron Man in the movie is because they know RDJ is free from contract now and making noise about maybe not wanting to continue the role. As bad as everyone said 2 was for being an Avengers showpiece, to me this trumps it for being an expanded Iron Man universe showpiece in case RDJ doesn't come back. There are already rumblings about a Pepper Potts movie and a War Machine movie has supposedly been in the works for some time.
Brian   05-08-2013, 07:39 PM
PicardRex Wrote:No spoilers, just a brief review. I thought it was good in some ways and very disappointing in others. You can defintely tell Shane Black made the movie, if you've seen Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang you'll notice a similarity in dialogue. Actors were good, action was good and the story was good. My complaint is that it should have been called Iron Everyone but Stark, because there is very little screen time devoted to Iron Man and plenty to his associates. There is a twist, some like some don't, depends on how invested you are in the comics I think. Overall, it was a pretty good movie, just not up to the hype.

Agreed, as well. This one was much better than IM2. I did expect more from the introdution of The Mandarin and didn't get it. LOL

There is no wise man without fault
Alvin Fox   05-09-2013, 06:24 AM
Tony H Wrote:...while he will wear 10 rings they will not be a source of magic, because they wanted the Iron Man franchise to remain in the realm of the real world.

Except for the fire-breathing lava men.

My disappoint with this movie was similar to a friends disappointment with the Tom Jane Punisher. He said there was a distinct lack of Punishing. I wanted more Iron Man-ing.

Did you know that the actor who played the President also played Death in Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey? A movie where the lead characters went to a hardware store, bought supplies, and build "Good Robot Us's". And the actor who was the Vice-President was in Robocop.

Oh, well. What's next? Thor 2? Then Captain America 2, The Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers 2, and Ant-Man. For some reason I want Simon Pegg to be Pym. I think it's only because Edgar Wright is doing Ant-Man. Oh, and the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. tv show, whenever that starts.
cobalt   05-09-2013, 10:20 AM
One thing bothered me about this movie. Stark has like 40 odd Iron Man suits....why doesn't he have them stashed in some safe place around the world? It would come in handy...no? A suit on each corner of the world would save time...wouldn't it?

EWMAN
johntfs   05-10-2013, 09:02 AM
What strikes me as funny about the Iron Man pictures is the counter-intuitive solutions that are presented for the heros problems. In Iron Man, Tony Stark feels guilty that his company makes weapons, some of which end up in the wrong hands. So, he creates a far more powerful weapon, the Iron Man armor to solve the problem. In Iron Man 2, his power source is slowly killing him, so he discovers/invents a far more potent energy source and that fixes things. In IM3 Tony is haunted by the idea of losing himself to the armor, so he remotely activates an army of Iron Man suits to defeat his foes.

Given that trend I look forward to the following conversation if they ever do the "Demon in a Bottle" story.

Pepper: Tony, you're an alcoholic.
Tony: I know, Pepper, but I have a plan.
Pepper: What is it?
Tony: I'm going to beat my alcoholism by smoking an absolute shitload of crack cocaine!

"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself. Almost inevitably, he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable." - H. L. Mencken
Tony H   05-10-2013, 10:30 AM
johntfs Wrote:What strikes me as funny about the Iron Man pictures is the counter-intuitive solutions that are presented for the heros problems. In Iron Man, Tony Stark feels guilty that his company makes weapons, some of which end up in the wrong hands. So, he creates a far more powerful weapon, the Iron Man armor to solve the problem. In Iron Man 2, his power source is slowly killing him, so he discovers/invents a far more potent energy source and that fixes things. In IM3 Tony is haunted by the idea of losing himself to the armor, so he remotely activates an army of Iron Man suits to defeat his foes.

Given that trend I look forward to the following conversation if they ever do the "Demon in a Bottle" story.

Pepper: Tony, you're an alcoholic.
Tony: I know, Pepper, but I have a plan.
Pepper: What is it?
Tony: I'm going to beat my alcoholism by smoking an absolute shitload of crack cocaine!

LOL! I suspect, if Marvel ever stumbles upon this thread, they will hire you to script their next film.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious