Pages (2): 1 2   
Medusa   02-20-2013, 10:14 PM
Now that we got our income tax refund in we decided to buy guns. We like to go shooting at the range around the corner. We'd been renting different ones over the past couple of months to figure out what to get.

My husband settled on a Springfield XD Compact 45 while my son and I went in halves to get a FNH FNX-9 9MM. The only problem now is finding the ammo. Everyone is out of stock. I managed to find 1 box at Walmart for my 9MM but we were able to grab 5 boxes of 45's for my husband. Can't wait to shoot it! I couldn't when we bought it because even the gun store has been out of most ammo.

Veronica
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x41/Medusa-Warthog/
The Snake Lady from Texas!
t4terrific   02-20-2013, 11:06 PM
Medusa Wrote:Now that we got our income tax refund in we decided to buy guns. We like to go shooting at the range around the corner. We'd been renting different ones over the past couple of months to figure out what to get.

My husband settled on a Springfield XD Compact 45 while my son and I went in halves to get a FNH FNX-9 9MM. The only problem now is finding the ammo. Everyone is out of stock. I managed to find 1 box at Walmart for my 9MM but we were able to grab 5 boxes of 45's for my husband. Can't wait to shoot it! I couldn't when we bought it because even the gun store has been out of most ammo.

Excellent way to treat yourselves. Pistols are fun, and also serve an important purpose. I have no experience with either of your choices, but they are both very popular. 45 and 9mm are my favorite pistol calibers.

Walmart is my favorite place to buy target ammo because if the price, but lately their usually out of stock on the most popular rounds. Here, our local gun stores, Gander Mountain, and Bass Pro Shops have often been in stock, but their prices are considerably higher for range ammo.
johntfs   02-21-2013, 05:42 AM
Does Colt make a more modern version of the .45 Peacemaker? I recall that several years some friends of mine and I bought some replica weapons for use in our Deadlands RPG (think Horror Western). My choice was a Colt .45 Single Action Revolver. It doesn't fire, but I really like the weight and balance it has for my hand. Also, as a home defense gun, I figure a .45 slug has a lot of stopping power and as a revolver it can pretty well but put in a drawer for a good while and still be expected to work if need be. I understand that one concern about magazine weapons is that the springs can wear out and cause jams and misfires.

"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself. Almost inevitably, he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable." - H. L. Mencken
t4terrific   02-21-2013, 09:41 AM
They have started making a couple of their old single action .45's again. I don't recall their names, but they were popular pistols at one time.
cobalt   02-21-2013, 10:29 AM
That's great, Medusa. Enjoy your range time.

EWMAN
Sigokat   02-21-2013, 11:02 AM
Medusa, before I dpeloyed I picked up the FNX-45. It had the Triicjon site (sold separately of course) and 3 15 round magazines. I only got to fire it one time (had to find ammo of course) at the range before I dpeloyed, but it was a great weapon. I have to have the sites adjusted when I get home, but I'm really glad I picked it up, even with the hefty price tag. It also came standard with the threaded barrel, so when I get my supressor for it, its all ready to go.

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
t4terrific   02-21-2013, 12:13 PM
Sigokat Wrote:Medusa, before I dpeloyed I picked up the FNX-45. It had the Triicjon site (sold separately of course) and 3 15 round magazines. I only got to fire it one time (had to find ammo of course) at the range before I dpeloyed, but it was a great weapon. I have to have the sites adjusted when I get home, but I'm really glad I picked it up, even with the hefty price tag. It also came standard with the threaded barrel, so when I get my supressor for it, its all ready to go.

Left of POA?
Sigokat   02-21-2013, 12:24 PM
left and low. Why do you ask?
This post was last modified: 02-22-2013, 02:25 AM by Sigokat.

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
nonquixote   02-22-2013, 02:24 AM
johntfs Wrote:Does Colt make a more modern version of the .45 Peacemaker? I recall that several years some friends of mine and I bought some replica weapons for use in our Deadlands RPG (think Horror Western). My choice was a Colt .45 Single Action Revolver. It doesn't fire, but I really like the weight and balance it has for my hand. Also, as a home defense gun, I figure a .45 slug has a lot of stopping power and as a revolver it can pretty well but put in a drawer for a good while and still be expected to work if need be. I understand that one concern about magazine weapons is that the springs can wear out and cause jams and misfires.

Ruger and Uberti make decent peacemaker clones which are pretty commonly available and often used by cowboy action shooters.

You might consider one in .357 or .44 magnum rather than .45 colt. The cartridges are more readily available and lower powered .38 special or .44 special cartridges can be used for plinking.
This post was last modified: 02-22-2013, 02:32 AM by nonquixote.

The Bold Type giveth, the Fine Print taketh away.
t4terrific   02-22-2013, 11:01 AM
Sigokat Wrote:left and low. Why do you ask?

Left and low is common for a shooter with a type of pistol that is new to him.

I don't know about FN's, but a lot of people have that problem with Glocks at first. A lot of departments have had to hire outside instructors to help their officers qualify when switching.

If the sights look centered on the slide, then it may just be a case of getting used to a new type of pistol.

Maybe the sights are off though. If one is off center, then that's probably it.
Pages (2): 1 2