Jpane001   08-31-2011, 12:28 AM
hi. good evening. after the dark at the end comes out should i wait for the revision of nightworld to come out or should i read the original book? thank you, good evening
rjack_fan   08-31-2011, 12:43 AM
I will preface this by saying I have not read either, but I have read about them a lot. The original Nightworld was the end of the 6 book adversary cycle consisting of The Keep, The Tomb, The Touch, Reborn, Reprisal, and Nightworld. Jack appears in The Tomb, but at that point in time there were no plans for the RJ series so the Jack in the original Nightworld knows little about the secret history of the world and the Otherness. The RJ series happens before Nightworld, which now ends both the AC and RJ series. The Jack we have now knows so much more than the Jack in The Tomb, so the revised version makes more sense with the character now.

I have been patiently waiting to read Nightworld after The Dark At the End. I also plan on reading the original after for comparison. If you are looking for more to read, I would suggest the AC books mentioned above, Black Wind (a favorite of many on the board), and the 3 short story collections as some of the short stories also tie in.

There are people here that have already read both versions, so they will be able to post from the point of view of someone with that knowledge. Welcome to the board!
Medusa   08-31-2011, 01:12 AM
I have read Nightworld many times and although I am near the end of my Repairman Jack/Adversary Cycle/Touch/Black Wind marathon (only 4 more books to go before Dark at the End will be available to me in October, I will be holding off on reading Nightworld again until after the revisions. I want the full effect.

Veronica
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x41/Medusa-Warthog/
The Snake Lady from Texas!
Alvin Fox   08-31-2011, 02:04 AM
The Borderlands edition is surprisingly up to date. A few things that are left out: (These spoilers are for Nightworld)

[SPOILER]Kickers. However, they are mentioned in the very beginning and the repeated references to the people in Manhattan got more and more worse over the last year.
Hank Thompson and Ernst Drexler. So maybe there will be mentions of how they feel betrayed that they are being targeted along with the rest of humanity. I hope they get gruesome deaths. (Side note: Anyone else think it'll be bothersome that there will be two supporting characters by the name of Hank?)[/SPOILER]

(This is also a major spoiler for The Dark at the End)
[SPOILER]The Oculi. I'd like a mention of, maybe, how when the Lady died everyone's eyes cleared up. Flash to when Glaeken is rejuvenated, maybe all of their eyes go dark again.
No mention of Weezy or Eddie. Brief mention of the Lady. But they died a month earlier so it's not anything that really needs to be wrapped up.[/SPOILER]
Marc   08-31-2011, 08:45 AM
Jpane001 Wrote:hi. good evening. after the dark at the end comes out should i wait for the revision of nightworld to come out or should i read the original book? thank you, good evening

I'd say to make sure you read The Adversary Cycle prior to Nightworld. And as others have stated, you can read either version but certain loose ends from the RJ series won't be resolved as Nightworld was written/revised prior to The Dark at the End's completion, but either are fine to read in my opinion.
Lisa   08-31-2011, 11:48 AM
Welcome to the board! Hope you stick around. Smile

I think the only books you NEED to read before Nightworld are the Adversary Cycle (The Keep, The Tomb, The Touch, Reborn, Reprisal). The Repairman Jack books are a great addition to the series but certainly not a requirement.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   08-31-2011, 11:56 AM
Said it before, I'll say it again.

NIGHTWORLD is one of the finest novels I've ever read. And I've read a bunch. (Counting ARCHIE comics, that is...)
Jpane001   09-03-2011, 11:19 PM
Good evening, everybody. thank you for your responses, it was very helpful. I'm more a Jack guy than I am an adversary guy. I might even skip reading The Touch unless that is a bonehead move. Also, when does the revision come out? Is it 2012 or is there a way to get it once the final RJ novel comes out? I must be going, I have to see if Bobby Parnell blows this save (go mets). Good evening
fnfnc64   09-09-2011, 12:56 PM
I read nightworld a long time ago. I just finished The dark at the end, and then purchased and finished the BP version of nightworld. I thought there would be more revised in the BP edition since the original was done a while ago. Still, I wasn't disappointed. It tied everything together, didn't deviate much from the original, and was a very good read. I cant imagine Mr. Wilson will really surprise anyone who has read the BP version with his last revision. I look forward to reading it.
Its all kinda sad really. An end to repairman Jack. I feel like a kid sneaking through the house early on Christmas morning and having a look at what Santa left before anyone else wakes up. Its like "OK. Now what"?
mores   09-18-2011, 01:00 PM
If you start wondering, what version to read, you really can't NOT read the other works. They help you form a complete picture.