jkennedy   08-04-2011, 11:00 PM
I'm reading the books out of order. I collect and send a lot of books to the troops and a copy of 'All The Rage' wasn't in condition to send as the binding was bad. It was recommended by Joe R. Lansdale and Andrew Vachss (who my brother is a big fan of), so I decided to give Mr. Wilson's book a read based on their jacket comments. I was pleasantly surprised. Always nice to find another author to enjoy.

I know that RJ books have been around for a while and I'm reading The Tomb (Rakoshi) now. Were the books updated (specifically The Tomb) as there are items and places mentioned that don't fit in well with the 1984 original printing date. The area around Times Sq. being cleaned up for example (definitely the seedy underbelly in '84). I see wikipedia mentions it is "recently updated for 2004, in order to tie in chronologically". So I'm guessing there were some dates changes so that the RJ books flowed better.

I appreciate any clarification.

Joe
rjack_fan   08-04-2011, 11:11 PM
Welcome!

The Tomb is the first book Jack is in. Originally it was not meant to be a series, it was one of 6 books in The Adversary Cycle. Years later Jack came back as a series. It all ends (Jack series and Adversary Cycle) in Nightworld. To make the timeline and everything fit since it had to start in The Tomb and end with Nightworld, there were some tweaks to The Tomb. And very significant changes to Nightword to accommodate the content of the Jack series.

This is the very condensed version. There is more on this subject in various places on the site and in the forums if you are interested.

If you have more questions, feel free to post. If there's one thing we love to talk about here, it's books. Happy reading!
Lisa   08-04-2011, 11:45 PM
Welcome to the site! You may also find this timeline (maintained by FPW himself) handy if you're new to Repairman Jack and the Adversary Cycle:

http://www.repairmanjack.com/forum/content.php?157

And don't forget to check out the books pages to see which order these series should be read in:

http://www.repairmanjack.com/forum/conte...ed-fiction