nonquixote   06-08-2011, 06:11 PM
I am re-reading the Jack books in light of having just finished the Adversary Cycle, in order to tie up any cross references I might have missed the first time. I again noticed an error that I had noticed but forgotten about after reading Infernal for the first time. When Jack and Tom find the lilitongue in its chest and bring it aboard the boat, Jack, feeling uneasy about the object they found, asks Tom how something that weighs in the neighborhood of 50 pounds can float like it did.

The chest is described as a cube approximately 2 feet on a side, therefore having a volume of around 8 cubic feet. Water weighs around 65 pounds per cubic foot. So the weight of the water the chest displaces is in the neighborhood of 500 pounds. So a 50 pound object of that size actually would float like a cork. Jack must have been having a bad day I guess to have made such an error.

The Bold Type giveth, the Fine Print taketh away.
Tony H   06-08-2011, 06:35 PM
nonquixote Wrote:I am re-reading the Jack books in light of having just finished the Adversary Cycle, in order to tie up any cross references I might have missed the first time. I again noticed an error that I had noticed but forgotten about after reading Infernal for the first time. When Jack and Tom find the lilitongue in its chest and bring it aboard the boat, Jack, feeling uneasy about the object they found, asks Tom how something that weighs in the neighborhood of 50 pounds can float like it did.

The chest is described as a cube approximately 2 feet on a side, therefore having a volume of around 8 cubic feet. Water weighs around 65 pounds per cubic foot. So the weight of the water the chest displaces is in the neighborhood of 500 pounds. So a 50 pound object of that size actually would float like a cork. Jack must have been having a bad day I guess to have made such an error.

Or he's just not a nerd! :nerd:

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
Bluesman Mike Lindner   06-09-2011, 05:51 PM
nonquixote Wrote:I am re-reading the Jack books in light of having just finished the Adversary Cycle, in order to tie up any cross references I might have missed the first time. I again noticed an error that I had noticed but forgotten about after reading Infernal for the first time. When Jack and Tom find the lilitongue in its chest and bring it aboard the boat, Jack, feeling uneasy about the object they found, asks Tom how something that weighs in the neighborhood of 50 pounds can float like it did.

Or maybe he had a bad, bad feeling about the object--"Why isn't this at the bottom of the ocean, where it belongs?"
Lysistrata   06-09-2011, 06:37 PM
nonquixote Wrote:So a 50 pound object of that size actually would float like a cork.

It's the weight of the evil that imbues the Lilitongue.

Trying to be nice
JBK   09-29-2019, 09:25 PM
Lysistrata Wrote:It's the weight of the evil that imbues the Lilitongue.

Excellent turn of phrase. [emoji847]

The lilitongue is not eight cubic feet. The chest is. A thick chest plus the padding?

I believe it was described as a bit larger than a basketball. A 50 lbs basketball would sink like a rock. Even by half again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk