Pages (2): 1 2   
lexator222   03-07-2011, 03:06 PM
I just re-read "Legacies" last week, and I wanted to compare it to the most recent RJ novels. I then re-read the last three RJ novels. I have to say that there is an obvious difference in the writing. Almost like Ms. Rowling when she was doing the last two Harry Potter novels, you could see that she was tired of writing for this guy. She even admitted that she was tired, and she turned around and killed off most of the main people in the last novel! I really LOVED Legacies, and everything about Jack. I loved the way that he handled two different situations. I LOVED the novel where Jack dumped the oil and used tires on the druglord that killed the junkman's nephew. This was GREAT stuff. I hate to say it, but in comparison to those, these last three RJ novels are PALE compared to the first few. I realize how this can happen, and you can get stuck in a rut. But, for the last two, or three novels, can't we get Jack to go out with a BANG? If you LOVE Jack the way the rest of the world does, PLEASE, Dr. Wilson, PLEASE, look over what you had done back then, and see if you can get that "Groove" back. You are truly a gifted writer, and I just HATE to see Jack end, but hopefully we can have him end on a high note, not just some JK Rowling inspired ending.

Lex
This post was last modified: 05-06-2011, 02:47 PM by lexator222.

JACK fan
cobalt   03-07-2011, 03:18 PM
My first post went....somewhere.....huh

Anyway.....I don't agree, Lex. I've read Nightworld....so the only book I haven't read yet is the newest...yet to be published...The Dark At the End. I've been so enthralled with every book....and I don't want RJ to end...so I'll agree with you there....only.

EWMAN
Peter   03-07-2011, 08:59 PM
For me it feels like the fight against the Otherness is taking over Jack's life so the more "mundane" fixits (which I admit I always really enjoyed)have had to be put aside to make way for more pressing matters.

Well, I've never seen one do THAT before
KRW   03-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Peter Wrote:For me it feels like the fight against the Otherness is taking over Jack's life so the more "mundane" fixits (which I admit I always really enjoyed)have had to be put aside to make way for more pressing matters.

Always the way with independent repairmen. Start out small with many customers and some very odd jobs. Somehow, they get a reputation, which leads to some larger entity taking all of their time. F---ing Alley!Wink
Scott Hajek   03-08-2011, 05:08 PM
I agree with Lex that the earlier RJ books had punch to them. But, they were more stand-alone entries in the overall mythology. The last few books are more of a continuous novel (I forget the correct term in one of the FPW forwards, but it's there) and therefore are structured quite differently.

Plus, the comparison of FPW to JKR? Miles apart in skill of writing, he said sycophantically. But, the Harry Potter saga was a darn good story. But, I'd rather have Jack on my side than Harry.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
Bluesman Mike Lindner   03-08-2011, 09:35 PM
Scott Hajek Wrote:I agree with Lex that the earlier RJ books had punch to them. But, they were more stand-alone entries in the overall mythology. The last few books are more of a continuous novel (I forget the correct term in one of the FPW forwards, but it's there) and therefore are structured quite differently.

Plus, the comparison of FPW to JKR? Miles apart in skill of writing, he said sycophantically. But, the Harry Potter saga was a darn good story. But, I'd rather have Jack on my side than Harry.

Was the term "river novel", Scott? Paul might have used the French term.
webby   03-09-2011, 12:35 AM
Peter Wrote:For me it feels like the fight against the Otherness is taking over Jack's life so the more "mundane" fixits (which I admit I always really enjoyed)have had to be put aside to make way for more pressing matters.

That's a pretty good take on it, Peter.

The series needs to be taken in context. In the later RJ novels, everything Otherness related is taking center stage as Rasalom is preparing to make his big move. And it is important to remember that even though we wait a year or so between RJ books, in that fictional world very little time has actually passed.

I really have to disagree with the OP that the later novels pale in comparison to the earlier ones. I understand what the OP is getting at with the difference in subject matter but the later novels - HARBINGERS in particular - have been too exciting, emotionally engaging, thought provoking and surprising to be anywhere near "pale".

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
-------------------------------------
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
lexator222   03-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Scott Hajek Wrote:I agree with Lex that the earlier RJ books had punch to them. But, they were more stand-alone entries in the overall mythology. The last few books are more of a continuous novel (I forget the correct term in one of the FPW forwards, but it's there) and therefore are structured quite differently.

Well, actually, I didn't compare F. paul to Rowling in writing style! Just the fact that both seemed to be bored with their main charaters, and killing off everyone around them. I really hated it when his sister was killed, and his father. His brother was a real shit, and his "death" was a salvation for him, and Jack. I say "death" because we really don't know if he is dead! I just thought, when reading that story, that the device transported the user into the "otherness", where you would be eaten at once. That's just my take on that situation. Anyway, I stand by my eariler assessment, that the first few novels are MUCH more "punchy" than the last three!

Lexx
This post was last modified: 05-06-2011, 02:47 PM by lexator222.

JACK fan
KRW   03-15-2011, 12:49 AM
lexator222 Wrote:Well, actually, I didn't compare F. paul to Rowling in writing style! Just the fact that both seemed to be bored with their main charaters, and killing off everyone around them. I really hated it when his sister was killed, and his father. His brother was a real shit, and his "death" was a salvation for him, and Jack. I say "death" because we really don't know if he is dead! I just thought, when reading that story, that the device transported the user into the "otherness", where you would be eaten at once. That's just my take on that situation. Anyway, I stand by my eariler assessment, that the first few novels are MUCH more "punchy" than the last three!

Lexx

So, did the "spear has no branches" theme go over you're head? Wink
Bluesman Mike Lindner   03-23-2011, 02:48 PM
lexator222 Wrote:Well, actually, I didn't compare F. paul to Rowling in writing style! Just the fact that both seemed to be bored with their main charaters, and killing off everyone around them. I really hated it when his sister was killed, and his father. His brother was a real shit, and his "death" was a salvation for him, and Jack. I say "death" because we really don't know if he is dead! I just thought, when reading that story, that the device transported the user into the "otherness", where you would be eaten at once. That's just my take on that situation. Anyway, I stand by my eariler assessment, that the first few novels are MUCH more "punchy" than the last three!

Lexx

Do you write, Lex?
Pages (2): 1 2