Barry Lee Dejasu   11-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Don't worry, FPW, this isn't aimed at you as a "You should really write a book about..." kind of idea. I think that with time, that quickly becomes the LAST thing an author would want to hear.

No, I'm talking to the REST of you.

You've probably all seen books around in the philosophy, or media, or humor, or other sections in stores that end with ...and Philosophy. Or perhaps The Philosophy of... Everything from LOST to Metallica, the iPod to Harry Potter, The Daily Show to Iron Man. Heck, I'm surprised there hasn't been Saw or even Iron Chef yet.

So what about the #1 reason anyone joins this forum?

What could someone philosophize about Repairman Jack, the Adversary Cycle, and the Secret History of the World? Just to get your noggins cooking, here's just a scant few ideas:
  • Just What the Heck Is Going On? Weezy and the Need For (Ugly) Truths
  • Getting the Job Done: Morality Issues vs. Jack's Business
  • Evil vs. Anti-Evil: The Otherness vs....?
And many of you might be nodding and saying, "That's a (nice) idea, Barry...but who WILL write this?" Me? I definitely would contribute; but like those other ...and Philosophy books, this could be a collection of various essays written by various people. That's where the more ambitious and/or philosophically-minded of you come in.

Eh? Eh? Thoughts? "Terrible idea, Barry?" That's the beauty of philosophy, folks - it's all up to debate!

"...and your last thought is that you have become a noise...a thin, nameless noise among all these others...howling in the empty dark room"
--Ulver, "Nowhere/Catastrophe"
[Image: geomorfos.jpg]
cobalt   11-12-2010, 04:45 PM
Hmmmm....it's part of my philosophy to question the questionable. Whataya want us to do again? Smile

EWMAN
Karithna   11-14-2010, 02:10 PM
That's not a bad idea. I'm sure we all incorporate some of Jack's philosophy into our own (I don't know about the rest of you programs, but I do). The only problem I see is that it would just be another marketing device. Aren't there enough as it is?

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." Albert Einstein
Barry Lee Dejasu   11-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Karithna Wrote:That's not a bad idea. I'm sure we all incorporate some of Jack's philosophy into our own (I don't know about the rest of you programs, but I do). The only problem I see is that it would just be another marketing device. Aren't there enough as it is?

Or rather, that it would be SEEN as another marketing device - but I think that since we're all people who really care fiercely about this world (FPW's, not the other one), and not just contracted writers hired by a studio or other publisher, well--don't you think we'd put some actual substance into it?

"...and your last thought is that you have become a noise...a thin, nameless noise among all these others...howling in the empty dark room"
--Ulver, "Nowhere/Catastrophe"
[Image: geomorfos.jpg]
Alvin Fox   11-15-2010, 02:50 PM
My though is put this and the compendium together.

Although I doubt flyboy is working on the compendium anymore.
Karithna   11-15-2010, 09:16 PM
Barry Lee Dejasu Wrote:Or rather, that it would be SEEN as another marketing device - but I think that since we're all people who really care fiercely about this world (FPW's, not the other one), and not just contracted writers hired by a studio or other publisher, well--don't you think we'd put some actual substance into it?

I'm sure it could have plenty of substance, and I would probably even read it. It just seems (and this is only my opinion) that books like that are someone other than the author making an attempt to capitalize on someone else's good idea. All the philosophy (from the RJ series) I incorporate into my personality quirks I've already read. I think a book like that wil end up in a used book store between The Silva Mind Control Method and Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Repair.

But this is just my opinion. Please, feel free to prove me wrong.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." Albert Einstein
rjack_fan   11-16-2010, 12:25 AM
I think the Compendium would make an awesome e-book if someone can find out how to make it randomize the sections every time one moves from one section to another.
webby   11-16-2010, 12:07 PM
rjack_fan Wrote:I think the Compendium would make an awesome e-book if someone can find out how to make it randomize the sections every time one moves from one section to another.

[Image: hysterical.gif]

I could so do that if it was a web site!

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
-------------------------------------
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Brian   11-16-2010, 08:55 PM
:eek: Webby is...Srem?

There is no wise man without fault