sctt_pike   09-29-2010, 05:20 PM
I'm still reading Hosts and have a question about the Hive virus. It isn't part of the Otherness, is it? It seems too orderly and controlled to be of the chaotic Otherness. Is it something natural that already existed in the orderly universe and is just a tool that the Otherness is using to destabilize the minds of all the humans on earth? At least that is my theory.
Ken Valentine   09-29-2010, 09:28 PM
sctt_pike Wrote:I'm still reading Hosts and have a question about the Hive virus. It isn't part of the Otherness, is it? It seems too orderly and controlled to be of the chaotic Otherness. Is it something natural that already existed in the orderly universe and is just a tool that the Otherness is using to destabilize the minds of all the humans on earth? At least that is my theory.
As I see it, the virus would spread fear and set individuals against one another. So yes, it is part of the otherness -- it would strengthen Rasalom.

Ken V.
KRW   09-29-2010, 09:43 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:As I see it, the virus would spread fear and set individuals against one another. So yes, it is part of the otherness -- it would strengthen Rasalom.

Ken V.

You mean Mrs Arola, right?Wink
KRW   09-29-2010, 09:50 PM
sctt_pike Wrote:I'm still reading Hosts and have a question about the Hive virus. It isn't part of the Otherness, is it? It seems too orderly and controlled to be of the chaotic Otherness. Is it something natural that already existed in the orderly universe and is just a tool that the Otherness is using to destabilize the minds of all the humans on earth? At least that is my theory.

While the Otherness definitely uses chaos to it's advantage, I see no reason why it wouldn't use a virus orderly and natural to achieve it's goal. Remember, that orderly and natural virus would have caused a lot of chaos.

Also, the Adversary profits a bit (in it's eye's) by the end of this book.

Happy reading!
KRW   09-29-2010, 09:51 PM

I didn't realize this was your first post... Welcome to the board!!!!
flyboy707   09-29-2010, 11:47 PM
KRW Wrote:I didn't realize this was your first post... Welcome to the board!!!!

Yes, Welcome to the boards!

And I agree with KRW's posts ... the virus is just up the Otherness's (sp?) alley as a way to spread fear, doubt and discord.

"There are two motives for reading a book: one, that you enjoy it; the other that you can boast about it."
Wicce   10-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Taking the "long view" from having read all of the books up until the pending "Fatal Error" I would have to say that the Hive virus does check out as far as being one of the Otherness' early failed attempts to infiltrate.

This is unsurprising to me, since in many places both the Ally and the Otherness are referred to as having multiple frying pans in the fire. Even to go so far as to say that Jack himself is not the ONLY Heir, but just one of the LIKELY candidates. Of course as far as I'm concerned he's the only one, but... I'm biased. LOL

Seems like the Otherness had set in motion many different "processes" at once to work on taking over humanity. If any one of them succeeded, the rest would be redundant; however, if one fails, as they all seem to, there's always a backup.

BTW welcome to the board =)

Gina