Pages (2): 1 2   
saynomore   01-24-2010, 08:08 AM
I don't care why it happened or who's to blame. But Conan bid adieu last Friday night, his voice cracking, his eyes welling with tears. Then he strapped on his guitar, joined Will Ferrell, and some rock legends, and played a rousing version of FREE BIRD.

I can add this moment of TV legend to my list of memories, including seeing the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, Janis Joplin on Dick Cavett, Blue Cheer on Steve Allen, David Bowie and Bing Crosby singing Little Drummer Boy on Johnny Carson, and Soupy Sales throwing the middle finger to the live camera during the taping of his tv show for kids.

Hurry back, Conan. I'll be waiting for more great moments to come.

AC
Alvin Fox   01-24-2010, 09:12 AM
Conan's eyes weren't the only ones welling with tears. The final speech and everyone playing Free Bird was really very touching. I can't wait to see Conan back on tv. There's always some far off hope in my mind that maybe he might go back to The Simpsons. It's doubtful, but it would be nice.

Here's something Patton Oswalt wrote on his Facebook concerning the final Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien:

"So, Conan ends his final Tonight Show on the 22nd asking people to avoid cynicism, work hard, and be nice to one another. Leno ends his show on the 21st taking a passive-aggressive, cynical swipe at Conan. Enjoy The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, starting March 1st!"
cobalt   01-24-2010, 12:44 PM
What a bunch of BS. Give the man the show...then take it away. The only thing I liked about Leno was Headlines on Monday nights. Other than that.....nada.

EWMAN
Maggers   01-24-2010, 12:52 PM
AlvinFox Wrote:...There's always some far off hope in my mind that maybe he might go back to The Simpsons. It's doubtful, but it would be nice.

I had the same thought, Alvin.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

webby   01-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Oh please. O'Brien will be crying all the way to the bank with his $33 million share of the settlement.

$33 million? $33 million! For what?! Losing a job of reading jokes off a teleprompter and conducting lame PR "interviews" with celebrities. Ooookay then..... Rolleyes

Whatever. It's a private contract between him and NBC and they can put whatever price tag on it they like. It just seems a bit, oh... excessive to me. But then I never thought O'Brien was funny and I hate, hate, hate his stupid hair.

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
-------------------------------------
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wapitikev   01-24-2010, 04:31 PM
webby Wrote:Oh please. O'Brien will be crying all the way to the bank with his $33 million share of the settlement.

$33 million? $33 million! For what?! Losing a job of reading jokes off a teleprompter and conducting lame PR "interviews" with celebrities. Ooookay then..... Rolleyes

Whatever. It's a private contract between him and NBC and they can put whatever price tag on it they like. It just seems a bit, oh... excessive to me. But then I never thought O'Brien was funny and I hate, hate, hate his stupid hair.
Leno = FAIL.
Conan = just fine by me.

-Wapitikev

Axioms Jack seems to live by (inadvertantly or not):

Why he does what he does: "I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either." Bruce Wayne, Identity Crisis

On Rasalom: "Water's wet, the sky is blue...and good old Satan Claus, Jimmy...he's out there...and he's just gettin' stronger." Joe Hallenbeck, The Last Boyscout
cobalt   01-24-2010, 04:32 PM
nuh-uh....NBC = fail

EWMAN
Wapitikev   01-24-2010, 04:38 PM
cobalt79 Wrote:nuh-uh....NBC = fail
I have no special dislike for NBC over any other network. They all suck.

Leno on the other hand, I could never stand.

So I blame him.

-Wapitikev

Why he does what he does: "I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either." Bruce Wayne, Identity Crisis

On Rasalom: "Water's wet, the sky is blue...and good old Satan Claus, Jimmy...he's out there...and he's just gettin' stronger." Joe Hallenbeck, The Last Boyscout
cobalt   01-24-2010, 04:42 PM
Wapitikev Wrote:I have no special dislike for NBC over any other network. They all suck.

Leno on the other hand, I could never stand.

So I blame him.

-Wapitikev
Ok...Leno while no real favorite of mine...has lost mucho by my thinking. Like a spoiled child.....and a bully to boot.

EWMAN
Wapitikev   01-24-2010, 04:50 PM
cobalt79 Wrote:Ok...Leno while no real favorite of mine...has lost mucho by my thinking. Like a spoiled child.....and a bully to boot.
This!

-Wapitikev

Pages (2): 1 2