Pages (8):    1 4 5 6 7 8
Bluesman Mike Lindner   04-19-2010, 05:02 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:Circumstances make the man. Its strange how certain qualities can be looked down upon until there is a need for them. Hopefully for the survivors he's not like The Stranger in High Plains Drifter.

Wasn't The Stranger in HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER a good guy? Only saw it once, decades ago.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   04-19-2010, 05:08 PM
The Mad American Wrote:It is in this type of thinking that the character I called the sociopath becomes so interesting. He is a super violent man with a criminal and violent past who hasn't really changed who he is but the circumstances have changed so he is defined by those around him differently. Yeah he is a sociopath, but he is our sociopath and he helps us survive.

Can't agree there, my brother. While it would depend on the situation ("Sure...I'll kill it...it LOOKED AT ME FUNNY!!!), sociopaths are the =last= hombres you want around at the End of Civilization. The survivors would have to work together and trust each other. A sociopath isn't capable of either.:nono:
The Mad American   04-19-2010, 05:22 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Can't agree there, my brother. While it would depend on the situation ("Sure...I'll kill it...it LOOKED AT ME FUNNY!!!), sociopaths are the =last= hombres you want around at the End of Civilization. The survivors would have to work together and trust each other. A sociopath isn't capable of either.:nono:

Ding ding ding!! We have a winner!! It is that kind of stuff that makes for interesting story arcs in this series (in my opinion that is). There are people who feel exactly how you do Blues and there are others who think he is redeemable and has value. It isn't your run of the mill white hats versus black hats.

And remember we are talking about a TV show and its storyline, not my personal feelings, I feel like you are expressing, but in a newly defined world it makes interesting viewing to see how this kind of thing would play out.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

Bluesman Mike Lindner   04-19-2010, 05:59 PM
The Mad American Wrote:Ding ding ding!! We have a winner!! It is that kind of stuff that makes for interesting story arcs in this series (in my opinion that is). There are people who feel exactly how you do Blues and there are others who think he is redeemable and has value. It isn't your run of the mill white hats versus black hats.

And remember we are talking about a TV show and its storyline, not my personal feelings, I feel like you are expressing, but in a newly defined world it makes interesting viewing to see how this kind of thing would play out.

Well, MadAm, I don't think a sociopath =can= be "redeemed". Their brains are just wired differently, a void of empathy. Just as a pedophile can't be "cured".

But of course, it's not their fault. It's Society's fault!

Thank God we've got President Obama to make everything better!!
Scott Miller   04-19-2010, 08:14 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Wasn't The Stranger in HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER a good guy? Only saw it once, decades ago.

It is never truly explained although it could be said that he was the embodiment of the Marshal who was whipped to death in front of the town by the guys they hire him to protect them from.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Pages (8):    1 4 5 6 7 8