saynomore   11-05-2009, 09:03 PM
Wild Things--More a psychological study in uncontrolled emotions (get it, "wild things"?), this movie takes us inside the head of a young boy with family problems. What transpires is a manifestation of his thoughts into huge creatures, each representing an emotion, on an island, representing his imaginary landscape. Sometimes funny, sometimes scary, these creatures may be cute-looking in the trailers, but they may be frightening for the young ones. Great cast of voices (Catherine O'Hara is great as always) makes this movie a winner for people who like their movies layered with meaning. But be forewarned: This is not Sesame Street.

Saw VI--I love the Saw series/franchise. One every Halloween, like clockwork. This latest installment expands the mythos of the previous five movies. Questions left unanswered in the previous movies are addressed here, but more questions arise. Only fans of the series need see this entry. All others will be lost. Definitely not a stand-alone.

Astro Boy--Never read the comic. Never saw the tv show. So, all I had to go by was the movie itself. Great origin story. Sorta like Frankenstein with a happy ending. Not a comedy, though some characters are silly (the Robot Revolutionary Front, a Monty Pythonesque trio of robots). Action scenes are above par, but Astro's story is what made the movie work for me.

AC

P.S. The Stepfather--Wait for the rental. Then don't rent it.
webby   11-06-2009, 12:19 AM
saynomore Wrote:Wild Things--More a psychological study in uncontrolled emotions (get it, "wild things"?), this movie takes us inside the head of a young boy with family problems. What transpires is a manifestation of his thoughts into huge creatures, each representing an emotion, on an island, representing his imaginary landscape. Sometimes funny, sometimes scary, these creatures may be cute-looking in the trailers, but they may be frightening for the young ones. Great cast of voices (Catherine O'Hara is great as always) makes this movie a winner for people who like their movies layered with meaning. But be forewarned: This is not Sesame Street.

AC

This review reminded me of this John Stossel blog post:

[INDENT]Some overwrought reporters are pestering the creators of the new film, Where the Wild Things Are. It’s based on Maurice Sendak's kids' book about magical creatures. The media fear that the film's scary characters will be too much for our precious snowflakes to bear.

Says a San Francisco Chronicle column:
One of the main questions reporters are asking is, Will this film based on one of the best children's books of all-time be appropriate for children? The creative minds behind this film have seemed to dance around this question...

But not Sendak.
Reporter: "What do you say to parents who think the Wild Things film may be too scary?"
Sendak: "I would tell them to go to hell. That's a question I will not tolerate."
Reporter: "Because kids can handle it?"
Sendak: "If they can't handle it, go home. Or wet your pants.

[/INDENT]I never knew Sendak was such a curmudgeon, but I like it. Big Grin

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
-------------------------------------
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Yeratel   11-06-2009, 02:22 AM
webby Wrote:Says a San Francisco Chronicle column:
[INDENT]One of the main questions reporters are asking is, Will this film based on one of the best children's books of all-time be appropriate for children? The creative minds behind this film have seemed to dance around this question...

But not Sendak.
Reporter: "What do you say to parents who think the Wild Things film may be too scary?"
Sendak: "I would tell them to go to hell. That's a question I will not tolerate."

I think kids respond well to books by curmudgeons, they can tell the author is being honest with them, instead of insulting their intelligence.
saynomore   11-06-2009, 04:17 AM
webby Wrote:This review reminded me of this John Stossel blog post:
[INDENT]Some overwrought reporters are pestering the creators of the new film, Where the Wild Things Are. It’s based on Maurice Sendak's kids' book about magical creatures. The media fear that the film's scary characters will be too much for our precious snowflakes to bear.

Says a San Francisco Chronicle column:
One of the main questions reporters are asking is, Will this film based on one of the best children's books of all-time be appropriate for children? The creative minds behind this film have seemed to dance around this question...

But not Sendak.

Some parents left the movie early when their kids started crying. Thank goodness: One of my pet peeves is crying kids in the theater.

AC

P.S. My doctor referred to me as a curmudgeon last week. I thought I knew what it meant. Now I have to look it up in the dictionary, although I think I get the idea.
GeraldRice   11-06-2009, 10:39 AM
I thought my 2 year old would be too scared to see "Wild Things" but surprisingly, she told me and my wife she wanted to see it. We haven't made it to the movies yet, but I'd like to take her.

They passed an old woman who was just opening the door of a brown Cadillac. An old man was already sitting in the passenger seat. The car had a personalized plate with the letters “J-U-S-P-R-A-Y”.
“That stuff work?” Israel said to her.
“‘Scuse me?” the little old woman said, clutching her keys.
“The spray. Does it keep them away?”
“Keep who away?” She looked confused.
“I gotcha.” Israel gave her a conspiratorial wink.

www.feelmyghost.webs.com
Silverfish   11-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Sounds like something shitmydadsays would say.

webby Wrote:...Sendak: "If they can't handle it, go home. Or wet your pants...

Abe's raised eyebrows caused furrows in his extended forehead. "Five in twelve hours?"
"Oh, and like you've never had a cranky day?"
FreeBeerTomorrow   11-06-2009, 01:16 PM
saynomore Wrote:Some parents left the movie early when their kids started crying. Thank goodness: One of my pet peeves is crying kids in the theater.

AC

P.S. My doctor referred to me as a curmudgeon last week. I thought I knew what it meant. Now I have to look it up in the dictionary, although I think I get the idea.

No need for the dictionary. Here are two perfect examples of curmudegons that even children will understand:
1) Oscar the Grouch
2) Squidward Tentacles

[Image: darktowergunslinger1-1.jpg]
"Control what you can control. Let everything else take a flying f**k at you... And if you must go down...go down with your guns blazing..."