There is no wise man without fault
Irishkkc 2.0   10-02-2009, 07:14 PM
The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly
Magnificent 7
Tombstone
For a Few Dollars More
The Proposition - even though it takes place in Australia

Oh and maybe one day soon My Name is Jack
Wait... did you ask what is My Name is Jack?
Oh well I will tell you. It is the novella I have written that is open to be read by any and all who would like too.
ccosborne3   10-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Wild Bunch

Unforgiven

The Searchers

Tombstone (What's sad is I was biased against this film in favor of Kasdan's Wyatt Earp and didn't see it until it was on cable)

Silverado
ccosborne3   10-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Maggers Wrote:7. Ride the High Country

Peckinpah's first film I think. Starring the big guy, I can't think of his name. After I saw The Wild Bunch I was desperate to see this film and it just wasn't available in the early eighties. Still haven't seen it. I think I will make it my treat for the week.
Aprilis   10-02-2009, 11:15 PM
1. The Good the Bad and the Ugly
2. Lust in the Dust

The world is full of idiots ... It's up to you to not be one of them.
Brian   10-03-2009, 05:39 PM
Right, Blazing Saddles. I consider it a comedy, but it's a Western as well. Good call.

There is no wise man without fault
Maggers   10-03-2009, 09:58 PM
ImDeranged Wrote:Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada- Tommy Lee Jones' Masterpiece tour de force
OOh, great call. I'd forgotten about that movie, and I loved it. Thanks for reminding me.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Ken Valentine   10-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Maggers Wrote:1. Last of the Mohicans
Does that classify as a Western when it takes place east of the Mississippi? It has Indians though no cowboys, just Redcoats. But it's my favorite movie of all time, so I'm keeping it here. It was the West before the West was discovered.
It was "the west" at the time. Big Grin

Quote:2. The Searchers
3. Unforgiven
4. Tombstone
5. High Noon
6. The Magnificent 7
7. Ride the High Country

And for silly ones:
Cat Ballou
Support Your Local Sheriff
That means you must have missed WATERHOLE NUMBER 3, starring James Coburn, Carroll O'Connor, and Margaret Blye. (And the Ballad of Waterhole #3 sung by Roger Miller.)

So, my three favorite western comedies are:

1. Support Your Local Sheriff

2. Waterhole #3

3. Cat Ballou

As for the rest, I'll have to think about it (there are considerably more than five.)

Ken V.
saynomore   10-04-2009, 04:53 AM
Ken Valentine Wrote:It was "the west" at the time. Big Grin

That means you must have missed WATERHOLE NUMBER 3, starring James Coburn, Carroll O'Connor, and Margaret Blye. (And the Ballad of Waterhole #3 sung by Roger Miller.)

So, my three favorite western comedies are:

1. Support Your Local Sheriff

2. Waterhole #3

3. Cat Ballou

As for the rest, I'll have to think about it (there are considerably more than five.)

Ken V.

Hey, Ken.

The west was not discovered: It was raped and pillaged. That's why we protest Columbus Day, not revere it. Come 2010's census, the numbers should have the Latino stats above 55% in the big states; we already have over 50% in California, Texas, and Florida, with Arizona, New Mexico, and Washington in the 40% bracket. Manifest Destiny, my ass.

Sorry, sorry, sorry. Oh, that's right, top five westerns. Here goes:

1. Duel at Diablo
2. The Searchers
3. Tombstone (Director's Cut)
4. High Noon
5. Wild Bunch

Not in any discernable order. And I'm leaving out many favorites. These are just the five that hit me right now. I mean, The Good, The Bad,and The Ugly should be in there, but I'll leave it for another day.

AC

P.S. The west was discovered indeed.... And Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves as well. Oh, and George Washington never told a lie. All right, all right. Don't change the channel. This is the top five westerns thread. Back to our sponsor.
PicardRex   10-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Even though he had many films to choose from, I was always fond of The Shootist. I'd also add, even though this may not meet the criteria, Young Guns.
Pages (12):    1 2 3 4 5 12