webby   09-03-2009, 12:41 AM
Anybody watching The Colony on the Discovery channel? I caught a commercial for it while watching something else on Discovery one night (prolly Mythbusters) and thought it sounded interesting. So a couple nights ago I watched two episodes online. Not too bad.

The premise: "The Colony is a controlled experiment to see exactly what it would take to survive and rebuild under an extreme global catastrophe. Watch as 10 volunteers try to survive and thrive with no electricity from the grid, no running water, and no communication from the outside world."

It's interesting what they decide to spend their time on and the things they come up with. And I like that it isn't the sort of reality show where somebody "wins" at the end and somebody gets voted out every week. This is meant as a social experiment, not a contest.

It can't be completely true-to-life, of course... the participants know the outside world is right there in case of a real emergency, there are obviously cameras and sound equipment all over the place, and they are confined to a very limited area (in order to simulate a devastated city). So I imagine that if there really were a catastrophe, the people in this show would behave the same way, but moreso. The couple of pushing matches that happened probably would have been much more violent, even deadly, if the situation were real.

Anyway. Just wondering if anybody else has seen this and what you think of it.

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
-------------------------------------
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
saynomore   09-03-2009, 01:53 AM
I'm a big fan of The Colony. Like a lost Outer Limits episode. Check out Colonial House for comparison; it is (was) an equally watchable show about isolating a people in a recreated (real or otherwise) timeframe.

AC